Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Is this a good plan?

Pardon voice to text grammar.

We have property and are stationary and the verizon cell tower is 17 miles. I can see it because we're on a little Hill. I can get channels 5 13 and 66 and average about -97 db ( -94 is the best and up to -101, but usually around -97). I'm using my visible sim and a Motorola cell phone. I hotspot the phone to my TP Link Nano router in hotspot bridge mode that runs off RV USB power and then I have more Nano routers set on repeater mode to get Wi-Fi around my property. The routers go to things like temperature sensors in the pump house and motion sensor cameras that save data and just take a pic.

So my first plan was to get a weboost but then I learned the difference between mimo and just having one antenna and getting half the signal. The weboost is powerful esp upload but not as much data in as a mimo aka category 6 or higher cell router.

So then I came across the mofi4500 Sim 8 that does mimo and will work with visible.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YR3WGS3...ing=UTF8&psc=1

For $60 more I can get the peplink br1 and it seems more commercial. I also saw it will work with visible.
https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Pepwa...port_p_16.html

I was reading that the Poynting directional xpol mimo antenna gets a gain of about 3 DB more than an average antenna so I thought go with that, versus a parabolic, or a yagi. https://www.mobilemusthave.com/XPOL-...na_p_1280.html

With a clear view to the tower above our desert plants I think I can get better -DB if I'm using a good antenna to catch the signal and to send a bigger signal back vs my dedicated phone. Everything works pretty well as is and I can log into the cameras when I'm away, stream, etc. Band locking sounds good since my service drops when the phone changes bands. Also mimo sounds great using multiple bands at once.

I don't think I need an MK2, transit, or duo peplink because I don't have Wi-Fi to use Wi-Fi as wan, or take advantage of the fusion option. I only have Verizon available so there's no need for dual Sim for failover. I would just like to get the best signal available or possible from what I have. Something has to be better than a cell phone, but I understand it won't be that great. Two parabolics costs double the xpol and it sounds like a good antenna.

Am I good with the BR1 and xpol? I'm thinking upgrade the cables to LMR500 for less signal loss if I can find one with N female connections on the back like the bolton. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SFG3JLQ...K59CAMZM?psc=1
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #2

The Peplink unit you are considering has a CAT-6 modem (older technology). If your tethered phone has a faster modem (like a CAT-12), the end result with the Peplink device might end up producing results inferior to your current set up.
Do you know what modem is in the phone?
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
The Peplink unit you are considering has a CAT-6 modem (older technology). If your tethered phone has a faster modem (like a CAT-12), the end result with the Peplink device might end up producing results inferior to your current set up.
Do you know what modem is in the phone?
Its a motorolla G power (not 2021 version)
https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_mo...ower-10076.php

I'll do research
Old 10-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #4

Looks like LTE-A cat 13 not sure what 2CA means

"Speed HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (2CA) Cat13 600/100 Mbps"

My understanding is the category determins how many aggregate bands you will have at once. I did see -91 on band 66, and -98 on band 5 so I think I'm still only 2x2 mimo with the phone bc I have never seen more bands. I was using "Network Cell Info lite" for tower direction and db

BR1 and MK2 = cat 6 = 2 bands at once
Transit = Cat 18 = 5 bands
Duo is more money than transit and cat 12

But a larger antanna has to be better? No?

Update - looks like LTEa (advanced is 4x4 mimo), I wonder if the tower makes a difference on what it provides.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #5

How well does the phone work now on Visible from your home location? If the phone works well then you probably don't need much of an antenna for a router.

RSRQ is a good measurement of signal quality which you can see with the Network Cell Info Lite app although, at the end of the day, I guess data speed is what really matters.

I have that same phone, Moto G Power (bought in 2020), running on Visible. It seems to work very well at my current location. I use it as my only phone but tether from it occassionally.

Visible seems to work in a router but of course there are no guarantees. When Visible / Verizon sees that your "phone" is now a router they might decide to pull the plug on you. I don't recall hearing of that happening with Visible but ... it's certainly possible.

These two related links have a wealth of information that might be useful.
https://ltehacks.com
https://facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
How well does the phone work now on Visible from your home location? If the phone works well then you probably don't need much of an antenna for a router.

RSRQ is a good measurement of signal quality which you can see with the Network Cell Info Lite app although, at the end of the day, I guess data speed is what really matters.

I have that same phone, Moto G Power (bought in 2020), running on Visible. It seems to work very well at my current location. I use it as my only phone but tether from it occassionally.

Visible seems to work in a router but of course there are no guarantees. When Visible / Verizon sees that your "phone" is now a router they might decide to pull the plug on you. I don't recall hearing of that happening with Visible but ... it's certainly possible.

These two related links have a wealth of information that might be useful.
https://ltehacks.com
https://facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS
The phone works really well actually.
Stream vids, surf, etc. -94 I think is the lowest db I got -db is better than higher -db number.

From above posts I'm now wondering if 4x4 mimo is better with the pepwave Transit cat18 since the phone is category 13.

Questions I'm now pondering:

1.)Would the cell network app show more than two bands if our phones had more that 2x2 mimo? I have only seen 2 at a time.

I'm wondering if bands equate to a frequency and if I will even get more than two or three bands over a dozen miles away. Basically do I spend $400 for 2x2 mimo or $750 for 4x4 mimo. Then double the cost for 2 xpol antannas if I can't even take advantage of 4x4 mimo.

My towers:
Are at 17 miles to one tower direct line if site down the hill
Tower two is 13 miles, but it's not direct line of site unless I get up atleast 40 ft over the trees. I can do that but then you get cable signal loss at longer runs. LRM500 cables

Pepwave 4x4 mimo Transit $750
https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Pepwa...-18_p_207.html

Plus $400 two Xpols

Cables 4x140= $560 to get over 40 ft or just stick with what the Xpol has at 15ft plus RV height = maybe get 22ft up.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9II8LE...763DGTNB?psc=1

4x4 mimo Total
$1710 or without cables $1150

2x2 mimo total
BR1 at $400 and xpol 200 = $600
Old 10-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewfish View Post
I'm thinking upgrade the cables to LMR500 for less signal loss if I can find one with N female connections on the back like the bolton.
The last time I needed a custom RF cable I contacted these guys: https://www.coaxrf.com

Mike
Old 10-19-2021, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewfish View Post
The phone works really well actually.
I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. Is this for a house or an RV? I assumed it was for your house, you get reasonable performance from Visible on a phone but want to use a router for a more permanent, robust setup. Have I misunderstood that?

The point I was making earlier is that if you're already getting reasonably good performance on a phone then, despite the tower being some distance away, it seems like you're in a pretty good area for Visible (like I am here) so you probably don't need anything particularly high performance. Maybe just something that is permanently installed and not going to burn out a phone battery from over charging.

You mention long cables. A possible better alternative to long runs of coax is to place the router / modem near the antenna and then run ethernet cable to the building. It's cheaper and any loss doesn't really matter because it's digital which basically either works or it doesn't. I think ethernet can run up to about 100 meters. You have to somehow mount the router in a weatherproof box and get power to it. POE, Power Over Ethernet is one way to do that where the ethernet line also supplies power.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #9

I have the Peplink CAT-18 installed in my RV network. My primary data only cellular provider is AT&T with Verizon as a secondary. I have been more than pleased with it.

I from time to time see 4 connections (I think they call it carrier aggregation) to AT&T on the user interface. I only use Verizon when I can't get to AT&T (not very often) so I don't know what I might get with Verizon. I have yet to install a roof top antenna as the provided paddle antennas have been more than adequate.
As a point of reference, I don't believe any of the Peplink CAT-20 products (5G) have been certified for use on Verizon. Be wary of sellers who can tell you they can make it work.

If your phone has a CAT 13 modem in it, I suspect you will not be happy with the CAT-6 modem. Would take a look at the product specs on the Peplink forum and see what you might be losing in through put.

I am not sure I fully understand your home network setup, but it appears from time to time, you will need to connect to you home network from outside. Most of the US cellular providers use carrier grade NAT (google it, sort of a technical explanation related to the number of IP addresses available). I encountered an issue with it on my RV network with the CAT-18. As with most issues, it can be resolved, but, it takes a little effort.
I'm a big fan of the Peplink products & have installed them at our HQ location.
Good luck.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #10

Sorry I missed this. Peplink CAT-18 will only aggregate 4 bands, not 5. Again, dependent on the normal issues which impact cellular signals.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:33 AM   #11

While my phone says its cat 13, I think that includes wifi bc I have never seen more than 2 band aggregation. If I switch on wifi it drops the second band. I'm going to do cat 6 and return it for cat 18 if the 6 isn't a big upgrade while using an antenna a well

Just FYI
Old 10-21-2021, 12:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. Is this for a house or an RV? I assumed it was for your house, you get reasonable performance from Visible on a phone but want to use a router for a more permanent, robust setup. Have I misunderstood that?
We are in our RV until we build a cabin on our new property. The difference would be uni directional antenna to the closest tower vs when moving around you need omni (all directions). There isn't much difference otherwise. Well that, and no park wifi for fusion or wifi-as-wan options.

We want better performance than from a cell phone using it's hotspot mode esp band locking so the signal doesn't jump every 5 minutes to a weaker tower or band

Anything with an antenna to one tower would be better
Old 10-21-2021, 04:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
that pepwave is a robust little bugger..

I am a budget mined guy who wants it all.. LOL

I have visble motorola g.. works well but verizon tower is 5 miles straight line and obstructed .. best is 110-115 db even with a yagi style addon to a mifi.. I may see 98-99..

I have 2 ATT sims, one is 100g they offer and a commercial unlimited.. Mikrotik unit.. 7db antenna, 1 mile from tower, some trees , in winter almost line of site... 73db-78 is best I can do..
I also have a nite hawk no antenna that pulls 75-83db..

In playing around with mikrotik mini cat 4 unit,, with oem antenna, internal, laying on floor in house, opposite end from tower location.. I have gotten mid 80 db.. moving it to upper floor cieling , still 78-82db, connect antenna that is 7 foot higher, directional . best is 73db..

I looked at tower mapping... I happen to be almost split in overlap area of 2 sectors..

I took nitehawk as it is battery powered, about 600ft from house, ground level, behind tree line,, wammo .44-.53 db..
this does me little good but signal is subjective.. this is a rural farm area..

AS for interent load and use,, speed tests are 20-55dl.. depends on time of day with ATT.. the 100gb sim drops more than the commercial unlimited.. but the unlimted will go away for days, then it is trouble ticket and it come back blazing , then who knows..
They tell me it is the tower load,, Tower is ATT and Tmobile add on..

My visible/verizon is just as unstable,,but low speeds 8-17 dl ..

in my case better equipment helps very little.. AS I have a Cat 6 ad 12 cards for mikrotek,, no difference in my location.. ..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
that pepwave is a robust little bugger..

I am a budget mined guy who wants it all.. LOL

I have visble motorola g.. works well but verizon tower is 5 miles straight line and obstructed .. best is 110-115 db even with a yagi style addon to a mifi.. I may see 98-99..

I have 2 ATT sims, one is 100g they offer and a commercial unlimited.. Mikrotik unit.. 7db antenna, 1 mile from tower, some trees , in winter almost line of site... 73db-78 is best I can do..
I also have a nite hawk no antenna that pulls 75-83db..

In playing around with mikrotik mini cat 4 unit,, with oem antenna, internal, laying on floor in house, opposite end from tower location.. I have gotten mid 80 db.. moving it to upper floor cieling , still 78-82db, connect antenna that is 7 foot higher, directional . best is 73db..

I looked at tower mapping... I happen to be almost split in overlap area of 2 sectors..

I took nitehawk as it is battery powered, about 600ft from house, ground level, behind tree line,, wammo .44-.53 db..
this does me little good but signal is subjective.. this is a rural farm area..

AS for interent load and use,, speed tests are 20-55dl.. depends on time of day with ATT.. the 100gb sim drops more than the commercial unlimited.. but the unlimted will go away for days, then it is trouble ticket and it come back blazing , then who knows..
They tell me it is the tower load,, Tower is ATT and Tmobile add on..

My visible/verizon is just as unstable,,but low speeds 8-17 dl ..

in my case better equipment helps very little.. AS I have a Cat 6 ad 12 cards for mikrotek,, no difference in my location.. ..
I got the mofi4500 version 7. I guess its the first mofi with aggregation (using 2 or more bands at once, in this case 2 bands) I do see my phone w visible does 2 bands aggregation so I'm worried if I do 4x4 mimo I'll draw attention. I can stream and do web research and that's all I need, so any -db increase would be even better, and antennas have to help over just a phone in the window.

A lot of people with MOFIs have visible and I'm reading its good for verizon while Peplink is focusing on AT&T/Tmobile. I read one complaint - it sucks w Verizon and not made for it, even though they claim its compatible, its not as good as AT&T/TM, hence the dual sim and they have Verizon as the back up. This does makes sense to me when they advertise on their hogher end models bands 14 (Firstnet) AT&T, and 70 something from T mobile (new EMS / long range bands from TM)

The problem is the BR1 and Mk2 mini require $100 for Wan options to make it basically an "unlocked hotspot." Then you are are looking at cat 6 mk2 $550, or $750 for the cat 18 max transit. Peplink just seems better for RVs that are mobile frequently, want to spend $100+ on unlimited data, have AT&T/TM, not my situation. For half the price of max transit and $200 less than the MK2 (with the same basic specs) I can get the mofi.

I have found in researching the best for long range is 2 parabolic grid antennas at 45 degrees (x polarization) to each other (doubles bandwidth) in 2x2 Mimo (as with other types of antennas also). However, after tedious adjustment, once parabolics are lined up perfectly they are the best overall. This would be handy for people who leave their RV in one park or location. Other antennas do well, esp the pyonting x-pol 2, but for 10 miles or more parabolic grid is the way to go.

Parbolics for lond distance:
1.) Simply Wireless 28 db gain - Out of stock , not sure if they make them anymore since the video they made goes to a dead link and their website doesn't show them. Pending email.
2.) Wilson 26 db gain- 2nd choice
3.) Bolton 26 db gain looks like they make bad knock offs of Poynting x pol and a few Wilsons, so I'm not sure I want to support them and reviews are so so.
4.) Yagi mounted to an Old dish network sat dish
5.) Maybe you know of others???