Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Jack antenna install

can you install a baseplate to a new "jack" antenna backwards so that it covers up the holes left by the previous antenna
wsd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Can't really help you with this. I did install the jack, but I just used the old wineguard mast as it was in good shape. You will like the Jack.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Just put it on the old mast. On mine I took the risers off and mounted it to the base plate. Works great. If you don't have a digital TV you will need a converter.

Great reception and not bad channel selection for $50. My friend is using mine until his dish is installed at his house.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Can't really help you with this. I did install the jack, but I just used the old wineguard mast as it was in good shape. You will like the Jack.
Hey Clyon, any pics or procedures on this? Thanks!!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #5

I know this is an old post but for others, you could also make a cover plate out of thin wood, paint to match ceiling color, and install the base place the correct way over top of it. I almost had to do this on mine but adjusted the unit until it covered the hole.
ValleyCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2

Hey Clyon, any pics or procedures on this? Thanks!!
It's pretty much a no-brainer. 2 pins holds the antenna with C clips. Remove those and the cable. Put Jack on, insert pins and clips, screw cable back in. Done.

The Jack does come with an amplifier, but mine worked fine and didn't use it. Also comes with complete instructions.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ordered one, but its not the one that fits on my winegard crank up. Its one that I have to take the whole winegard out and replace it. I wasn't paying attention to what the heck I was doing....what a dope!

JACK Digital HDTV Antenna System- White - King Controls OA8200 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Well, too late to cancel the order.....its coming...
Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For $90 difference, I would have a tendency to send it back. It may just fit the wineguard anyway. You could keep the rest and save for a back-up.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
For $90 difference, I would have a tendency to send it back. It may just fit the wineguard anyway. You could keep the rest and save for a back-up.
Yep, I'm already thinkin that. Not to mention what it would cost me to have it installed......
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was able to get the order cancelled. Good thing I realized what I did...!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #11

I am just not seeing any advantage, either way, between a Sensar with Wingman and the Jack. As many VHF stations (2-13) went UHF (14 and above) during the digital transition, adding the UHF specific Wingman makes sense. Don't let the 2-13 channel number fool you, the UHF channel has just been translated to avoid confusion.

The Jack may be more compact, wind tolerant, and prettier to justify conversion or replacement. As for performance, nothing has swayed me either way. Adding a Wingman to Sensar is a no-brainer. Cheap too.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a friend that has a Winnebago Journey (2010 40T) and he bought the Jack antenna system. He said the kit came with everything he needed, including a base plate that covered all the holes. He also said it took him about 2 hours to do the complete install. He also mentioned that you do not need an additional power source as the antenna takes its power from the coax (I think the power comes from the antenna amplifier). I bought the one that mounts on the winegard crank up mount and I am considering getting the system one to eliminate the crank up stuff. I have had the set screw on the handle that secures it to the square rod coming down to the antenna come loose and inadvertently get the direction arrow on the antenna misaligned . If DW is not around when cranking the antenna down then I have to go outside and look at the antenna to see if it is in a somewhat correct alignment so it will crank down flat . I do like the idea of not having to worry about if the antenna is cranked down and the system jack looks kinda snazzy inside the coach .
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I have a friend that has a Winnebago Journey (2010 40T) and he bought the Jack antenna system. He said the kit came with everything he needed, including a base plate that covered all the holes. He also said it took him about 2 hours to do the complete install. He also mentioned that you do not need an additional power source as the antenna takes its power from the coax (I think the power comes from the antenna amplifier). I bought the one that mounts on the winegard crank up mount and I am considering getting the system one to eliminate the crank up stuff. I have had the set screw on the handle that secures it to the square rod coming down to the antenna come loose and inadvertently get the direction arrow on the antenna misaligned . If DW is not around when cranking the antenna down then I have to go outside and look at the antenna to see if it is in a somewhat correct alignment so it will crank down flat . I do like the idea of not having to worry about if the antenna is cranked down and the system jack looks kinda snazzy inside the coach .
I had the same problem, except I thought there was something wrong because I couldn't get it to come down.....the CG maintenance guy came by and told me I had to crank it all the way back up and put the two arrows in alignment on the round turn knob.....Dear Cousin went so far as to put two hash marks on the knob and the plate so I could see what I was doing.....Now I know I have to have it aligned at full extension before I retract it with the tracks.....oh well, I did feel dumb at the time, but how the heck would I have known about it before?

Well, I have no idea what winegard antenna I have, but we are going to CW Saturday for some maintenance and I'll have them tell me what it is.....and if there are any add ons that will help reception. I don't think I like the idea of a permanent mounted one now because somebody brought up the fact that there will be bugs all over it. But I REALLY like the idea of not having to worry about the antenna being up or down before I take off.......
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Kent,

My understanding is that the antenna (The Jack one) will not sit any higher than a roof top AC, or in the case of the Winnie's with basement air, above a max air vent. I would guess with the antenna situated behind the AC or air vent you would not have a bug problem...but then I guess I have never noticed bugs on the max air vent either.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install