Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
don't mean to hijack this thread, has anyone tried winegard RS-3000 omnidirectional antenna? I didn't see that info particularly comparing with jack.
The RS-3000 is good for up to 35 miles.
The Sensar IV(Batwing) rated for 55 miles.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
How does one know in what direction the transmitting towers are located? I have the old batwing and just turn it until I get reception. Is there an easier or proper way do find the channels?
TV Fool has a number tools on their website to help you point your antenna.

There are also a couple of apps I've found for my Android:
Antenna Pointer and
TV Antenna Helper

I only recently downloaded them to my phone but haven't taken the time to experiment with them yet.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkayaker View Post
How does one know in what direction the transmitting towers are located? I have the old batwing and just turn it until I get reception. Is there an easier or proper way do find the channels?
WineGard has a SensarPro product that gives you a 2-digit digital display of signal strength as you turn the antenna. It replaces the existing wall plate connection point.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #32

The Jack is now all installed. Still in shop as temperatures are not cooperating here as of yet. I will post a full review once outside. This area is a good test area as I have Toronto 40 miles, Buffalo 50 miles, Kitchener 40 miles, Erie 50 miles, If you can pull in all these it will be a success. I am picking up Hamilton 10 miles and one that say's Toronto (although not sure where their transmitter is from) in the shop right now.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
My MHO came with the jack, mounted on the roof. Have good reception. If you are using the jack on the crank up, I would think you would get better reception due to the height. Only problem with the jack is that it looks for branches to grab to break the unit off the roof (only once, but that was enough). I improvised a cover that branches slide over the jack, and it works fine, no more broken jacks!!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The RS-3000 is good for up to 35 miles.
The Sensar IV(Batwing) rated for 55 miles.
Thanks Triker. seems like jack is popular for that reason...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Thanks Triker. seems like jack is popular for that reason...
Maybe I'm missing something . . . the "Jack" antenna is neither the RS-3000 or the Sensar IV.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #36

This weekend in Quartzsite Arizona I picked up all the Phoenix stations on my Sensar 4 with the original power amp. That's 135 miles away.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #37
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Maybe I'm missing something . . . the "Jack" antenna is neither the RS-3000 or the Sensar IV.
oh, i might have had a wrong concept... so sensar 4 >< jack, need to digging more.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
This weekend in Quartzsite Arizona I picked up all the Phoenix stations on my Sensar 4 with the original power amp. That's 135 miles away.
that's awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use on of these:

TV Signal Finder

SureLock from King Controls

The SureLock™ Digital TV Signal Finder simplifies antenna pointing and takes the guesswork out of finding local TV channels. Point your antenna to the tv towers BEFORE scanning for channels. A built-in signal meter detects digital TV signals as the antenna is rotated to indicate the best antenna position for maximum TV reception.
Take the guesswork out of searching for the best antenna position and eliminate the need for multiple channel scans.
The SureLock™ connects to an existing TV antenna output or may be installed in-line between the antenna output and the TV or converter box. Built-in signal attenuator to adjust sensitivity when in very strong or weak signal areas.
This is a MUST HAVE for the RVer who uses their rooftop antenna for 'over the air' digital TV reception.
Use this signal finder in conjunction with the King-Dome's "Jack" Digital TV Antenna head for the complete digital and HD TV experience.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #40

Assuming you have an internet condition, I use:

AntennaPoint.com - Antenna Locator

I have the low profile JACK with integrated "signal finder". Works fine but I don't really care about the total number of stations I can receive. I basically want clear reception of the major networks plus a few others ... it does that.

RV Digital TV Antenna - Complete Antenna - PPL Motor Homes

The "signal finder" works quite well to peak up a station. I carry a mechanical (magnetic) handheld compass onboard to find directions indicated by antennapoint. Generally speaking, if I know where I am camping, I do locations in advance and make a notation on my campsite receipt/paperwork.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
...I don't really care about the total number of stations I can receive. I basically want clear reception of the major networks plus a few others ...
I feel the same way. In most cases I wouldn't be too far away from city tv towers, maybe in the range of 30-40 miles? if i really need to overreach to other area's, i can turn on satellite (knowing sometimes trees cutting the way) and watch cnn, hbo or new york's major networks (that is how i do in my home). farther is better but i am not really keen on that...
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
My MHO came with the jack, mounted on the roof. Have good reception. If you are using the jack on the crank up, I would think you would get better reception due to the height. Only problem with the jack is that it looks for branches to grab to break the unit off the roof (only once, but that was enough). I improvised a cover that branches slide over the jack, and it works fine, no more broken jacks!!
good idea. how did you affix the cover? just like satellite dome screwed onto roof?

Tags
antenna