Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1

Red face Just don't know!!

I am a computer dummy so I need lots of help. (I have already demolished a computer by kicking it to reboot) not really. We are going to finally be travelling to the great state of AZ. this year and need to know what we need to be able to use our wireless HP computer in camp sites on the way and while there. We see so many suggestions but being comp. illit. a lot makes no sense. We presently have a wireless router but it is plugged into our cable system so do not know if this will work and have heard about boosters. Anything you can help us with will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Basically two popular ways

1. Use CG provided WiFi hotspot service
2. Bring your own WiFi hotspot

For #1 you just need your WiFi enabled computer.

For #2 you need your WiFi enabled computer plus one of several available hotspot devices from a cellular provider such as Verizon, AT&T, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the use of CG Wifi won't help you while you're underway so a smart phone used as your own Wifi hotspot would probably be the best way to go, but if you don't currently have a smart phone with an internet data plan... you're kind of back to square one.

It really depends on how much you use the internet and for what purpose. Many of us go all out and have our own wireless networks in our rigs with multiple computers and we're pretty much always connected.

You need to decide how important it is to you and either invest in the smart phone option... or use CG wifi while set up and stop at hot spots along the way to get connected. These hot spots are at places like McDonalds so it's not hard to find them... just inconvenient.

There are other options but these are the best for what it sounds like you need IMHO. Your router at home that's connected to cable probably won't be of much help to you.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

I use Verizon Mi-Fi ,works anywhere you have a cell signal.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #5

We thank you for your input and yes have a I-phone but how do we use this with our wireless computer? As I said I am brain dead when it comes to these things.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #6

If you want simple easy no brainer wifi in your coach for several computers try this

JEFA Tech: WiFi Solutions for RV's and Mobile

One is a direct connect to your USB port on the computer the other system is a wifi system inside your coach so you can use a couple of computers. It works just like your wifi at home.

I'm with you as I can't even use everything in my smart phone so I'm learning all this stuff right now too Good Luck
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

I should add that it own't help while on the road but will help in the campgrounds with wifi.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
We thank you for your input and yes have a I-phone but how do we use this with our wireless computer? As I said I am brain dead when it comes to these things.
Your iPhone can work as the hotspot/router for other devices. You just need to contact your provider to set it up and get enough data.

We use cg wifi, which varies as to quality, and McDonalds when we don't have coverage. Although I have the iPhone, I have not found the need to activate the hotspot features.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote