Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 03:54 AM   #85

I have been dealing with AT&T, Directv over this DNS for a couple years now, ever since AT&T took over. We moved our service location which included a tech from the “Movers Department” coming out to our new “vacant” property and having to install a Satellite Dish. Then moments later we lost our DNS Channels. A month later and 90 hours total on the phone we finally got them back, but only after keeping our service address the same prior to the original call. When we no longer have that property.

Having DNS is very nice for recording programs since the channels never change.

Fast forward to today. It is such a hassle to get in contact with someone at AT&T and have now lost ABC with probably all of them to follow. I called AT&T and no one can give you any information. You are talking to someone out of Country and they will not transfer you to anyone in the United States. They tell you they can put you back in the Que and hope that someone in America will answer, but no guarantee.

Having said this, I’m sick and tired of AT&T/DTV and just ordered the conversion parts to switch over our Traveler to Dish. I called Dish Network yesterday and actually spoke to a person in America. I’m switching to Dish and will NEVER use Directv again. I will deal with worrying about programming the DVR whenever we move locations so we can record programs on the Major Networks. It has to be much better than what we are all dealing with now.

It is obvious and told that DTV is wanting people to stream programming with DTV Now, but this is impractical for us traveling RV’ing community since most do not have unlimited data or have insufficient signal to support streaming.

I spoke to a Satellite Installer yesterday who said that AT&T/DTV no longer has Tech Support. Also, AT&T is closing 250 Retail Locations and cutting some 3000 jobs.

So far, I’m out of pocket just shy of $500.00 for parts and still have to purchase a Hopper 3 and do the conversion. I will have Dish on Friday and Directv will be in my rear view mirror.

My advise is to stop wasting your time with AT&T/Directv and giving them your money for aggravation in return.

I will have a Genie DVR and other new receiver for sale.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM   #86

Spartan Chassis
AT&T + DirecTV

Cutch, 100% agreement.

Since AT&T took over DirecTV customer service went to **** in a hand basket. I've spoken to several service reps that have come out and each one has said the same thing. Most were looking for another job.

I've had AT&T for more years than I can remember and they too have gone to hell in a hand basket too when it comes to customer service. You can't find a real person, much less one that speaks English, which I happen to speak.

I've heard that AT&T is more focused on "AT&T TV" and it would not surprise me if they will just keep cutting and cutting DirecTV until it disappears.

I keep DirecTV mostly for my RV...and am seriously considering Dish, especially since I found out I can "convert" my Traveller to Dish.
ROFCIBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #87

So I spoke to a couple of satellite companies here in Nashville. They all gave me the same workaround. They told me to change my acct to a business acct. which they did for me using my LLC and they set me up with a New York service address. Problem is solved - I’m getting the New York local major networks - ABC, NBC, FOX, NBC no matter where I travel.

A few caveats. Business plans are more expensive than residential plans but you do get the receivers for free (HR 24’s) and are replaced for free if they fail for any reason. If you want HR 44 receivers you have to buy them but they won’t allow mini genies on a business acct. Also, the HR 24 remotes are old technology and they’re a pain in the ass. You can’t turn the TV, satellite box and external amp on and off and with just one button and volume control is not straightforward either. Also, you can only record 2 programs at the same time on the HR 24’s and what you record on one cannot be watched on the other - you can’t get Whole Home DVR service on a business acct. So I’m living with all of these drawbacks for now. I might decide to swap out the main receiver for an HR 44 if I decide that I can’t live with the DVR recording limitations. I still wouldn’t be able to share the recordings but at least I can record more programs at the same time on the HR 44.

Notwithstanding all of the above, the BEST part of all of this is that I NEVER have to call Directv for anything. I just call the satellite company that set all of this up for me and they handle all of the technical support, billing and programming. Calling Directv as you know for anything, as a customer, is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Time will tell if I can live with this new arrangement!
Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM   #88

Just received from ATT/DTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
So I spoke to a couple of satellite companies here in Nashville. They all gave me the same workaround. They told me to change my acct to a business acct. which they did for me using my LLC and they set me up with a New York service address. Problem is solved - I’m getting the New York local major networks - ABC, NBC, FOX, NBC no matter where I travel..............

Thanks for the update. Do you think it's possible to change the service address to either NYC or LA and get those major networks WITHOUT a business account?

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:19 AM   #89

Just received from ATT/DTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Quote:
So I spoke to a couple of satellite companies here in Nashville. They all gave me the same workaround. They told me to change my acct to a business acct. which they did for me using my LLC and they set me up with a New York service address. Problem is solved - I’m getting the New York local major networks - ABC, NBC, FOX, NBC no matter where I travel...........

Thanks for the update. Do you think it's possible to change the service address to either NYC or LA and get those major networks WITHOUT a business account?

I’m guessing you can. The main reason I decided to change to a business acct was because I am sick and tired of having to deal with Directv myself for anything. That’s what really appealed to me!. I was willing to trade off some technology for my sanity! Let us know what happens if you do. Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So I spoke to a couple of satellite companies here in Nashville. They all gave me the same workaround. They told me to change my acct to a business acct. which they did for me using my LLC and they set me up with a New York service address. Problem is solved - I’m getting the New York local major networks - ABC, NBC, FOX, NBC no matter where I travel.

A few caveats. Business plans are more expensive than residential plans but you do get the receivers for free (HR 24’s) and are replaced for free if they fail for any reason. If you want HR 44 receivers you have to buy them but they won’t allow mini genies on a business acct. Also, the HR 24 remotes are old technology and they’re a pain in the ass. You can’t turn the TV, satellite box and external amp on and off and with just one button and volume control is not straightforward either. Also, you can only record 2 programs at the same time on the HR 24’s and what you record on one cannot be watched on the other - you can’t get Whole Home DVR service on a business acct. So I’m living with all of these drawbacks for now. I might decide to swap out the main receiver for an HR 44 if I decide that I can’t live with the DVR recording limitations. I still wouldn’t be able to share the recordings but at least I can record more programs at the same time on the HR 44.

Notwithstanding all of the above, the BEST part of all of this is that I NEVER have to call Directv for anything. I just call the satellite company that set all of this up for me and they handle all of the technical support, billing and programming. Calling Directv as you know for anything, as a customer, is a TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Time will tell if I can live with this new arrangement!
===========================================
Would you post the phone number of the people that helped you.
Thanks
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
===========================================
Would you post the phone number of the people that helped you.
Thanks
The only number I have is the person I ended up going with.
888-231-5638. Ask for Diane. Feel free to mention that Mitchell Gallinger referred you to her.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

When I sold my house in Los Angeles two years ago and went full-time I brought the DVR from home into the motorhome and watched the LA network channels all over the western states. Same coverage I had at the house except for the other locals that are on a spot beam.

Last December, 1 1/2 years into full-timing, decided to try to get a DNS account. Sent in the papers. Couple weeks later a woman from AT&T called and said since my account had been converted from DirecTV to AT&T it couldn't be converted to a DNS account. She said AT&T didn't have that capability in their system. She assured me they were working hard to be able to get it for their customers, they'd try their best to get me that account as soon as possible, blah blah blah, etc.

I reminded her I no longer live at the listed service address. She said they'd leave it that way regardless.

I'm currently in Las Vegas, Nevada, and I'm still getting the same LA channels. If AT&T ever raises a question about the service address I'll change it to an address of an RV park in the LA area or use a friend's address.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:53 AM   #93

Quote:
We received the same email. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get local networks over ATT/DTV while traveling? I've heard people say they call at every destination and change their location. Perhaps the only way to get local networks while traveling is over the air when available. Bummer. We've enjoyed the networks from both coasts for years.
An internet connection is all I need with my Samsumg "Smart TV". I can get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox using the "app" on the TV. Otherwise, use the off air antenna if the stations are available locally.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:39 AM   #94

[QUOTE=Dahai;5311591]

I'm currently in Las Vegas, Nevada, and I'm still getting the same LA channels. If AT&T ever raises a question about the service address I'll change it to an address of an RV park in the LA area or use a friend's address.

Have you received the LA Networks in any areas beyond Las Vegas? I am curious if the Networks still broadcast in areas over 300 miles from the service address. If so, we are changing our service address to LA. That would solve our network problem in the absence of DNS.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #95

[QUOTE=Radioman;5313083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post

Have you received the LA Networks in any areas beyond Las Vegas? I am curious if the Networks still broadcast in areas over 300 miles from the service address. If so, we are changing our service address to LA. That would solve our network problem in the absence of DNS.

We also have the LA feed from when we had a residence there. We have been full time for 7 years now and have always had the LA channels where ever we are.
To date we have not had a loss in any channels and are currently in Kansas City, MO and have the LA feed. We have 2, 4, 7 & 11 along with the 390’s which we rarely view.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The DNS channels in NY and LA are broadcast on the main US beam. Meaning they are not on a spot beam like all the other locals. Not all of the LA and NY channels are on the main beam just the ones supplied for DNS. I have read many people just change their service address to a NYC or LA and never have an issue of reception of the DNC channels.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #97

The reason it still works for people with "service addresses" in the NY or LA broadcast regions isn't because you have "distant" network service, but that you have the REGULAR service that you would have for that address. The specific channels are simulcast on the "local" channel number as well as the 390s, using no extra transponder data. Those channels are coming through the CONUS (Continental US) wide-field array, rather than a specific spot beam. For the NY broadcast area, I was receiving the NY AND LA channels via DNS for many years, but several years before the AT&T takeover I was given an "option" of either East or West b/c they were taking away the ability to have both.

When not in the NY area, I could not receive the Pix11 channel, because that one was on a spot beam. But all the other NY locals came through just fine with the NY service address I had set up at the time.

This may be an acceptable option for some people, as it will provide you the 390s and the low numbered channels for either East or West, and it does not seem that they do any kind of validation on that address if you don't need them to install it for you.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in a house in the DC area and store my coach here. I use my DVR at my house when the RV is in storage, then move the DVR to the RV when traveling.

Now having lost DNS, I thought I would automatically begin receiving DC-local channels (channels 4 thru xx). But no locals yet. So with no DNS, I will not be charged for DNS channels, but does anyone know if I'll have to pay for the locals?

Question 2: If I give AT&T a "service address" such as the RV campground in Liberty Harbor, New Jersey, I'll get "local channels" from NYC right?...and can get those same NYC channels nationwide in the 390-range?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote