Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post

Have you received the LA Networks in any areas beyond Las Vegas? I am curious if the Networks still broadcast in areas over 300 miles from the service address. If so, we are changing our service address to LA. That would solve our network problem in the absence of DNS.
For two years I've received the main LA networks all over the western states from as far north as the Canadian border, as far east as Kansas to as far south as central Arizona. The main networks on the CONUS transponder are CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and an SD feed of CW (channel 5 in LA). You can tune them in from channels 391 to 399 or in the low number range, e.g. channel 2 for CBS, 4 for NBC, etc. just as if you were in a house in LA.

All the other locals are on a spot beam that seems to range from 200 to 250 miles, including three PBS stations which I would like to get. I have to use the rooftop antenna to get PBS if I'm near a city. But can't record it on the DVR.

It's hit or miss on those spot beam stations when I'm in Las Vegas, depending on how precisely the Winegard Trav'ler dish has aimed itself and/or whether the winds have moved the dish out of alignment a bit, which happens frequently. Thinking about switching to an RF Mogul dish which is supposedly rock solid on holding itself in place, but that's a discussion for another thread. Las Vegas is about the limit on those locals. Any farther afield and I have no chance.

The idea of using an RV park in the LA area as my service address was suggested to me by a helpful customer service rep at Winegard during my first week of full-timing when I was discussing another matter with her. Told her I had just sold the house, didn't want to give up the LA account, but thought I should "do the right thing" and notify DirecTV for a DNS account. Decided to keep the address of the old house, and it still works, so I won't mess with success.

Good luck.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2020, 09:52 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
I live in a house in the DC area and store my coach here. I use my DVR at my house when the RV is in storage, then move the DVR to the RV when traveling.

Now having lost DNS, I thought I would automatically begin receiving DC-local channels (channels 4 thru xx). But no locals yet. So with no DNS, I will not be charged for DNS channels, but does anyone know if I'll have to pay for the locals?

Question 2: If I give AT&T a "service address" such as the RV campground in Liberty Harbor, New Jersey, I'll get "local channels" from NYC right?...and can get those same NYC channels nationwide in the 390-range?

Short answer on the first one is "I don't know" b/c you weren't technically getting locals before, you were getting "network" instead. If you didn't have the DC area affiliates on your plan already, then you MIGHT see a drop in the bill for not paying for the DNS anymore.

"moving" your service address to somewhere in the NY broadcast region such as that park should be all that is required to get those NY channels, but you might have to start paying for the locals since AT&T wants to add to the bill for anything they can. BEWARE that contacting them for this may subject you to a 2 year contract there is no guarantee at all that they will inform you of applying this when they do it. Should you be wanting to drop service in the future, this could be a complication. I would suggest recording any call you have with them.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #101

Am I correct in saying that "spot beam transmission" plays into this?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:30 PM   #102

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Direct TV Update Today

DNS back except ABC and CW

We recently notified you that Congress had decided not to renew
key provisions of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) and that as a result, you would have lost access to out-of-market broadcast networks ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW starting June 1, 2020.

We’re happy to let you know that DIRECTV will now continue to provide you with access to broadcast networks CBS, FOX, and NBC as part of your Mobile Network Package. Unfortunately, access to ABC and The CW networks are no longer part of your Mobile Network Package.

In recognition of any inconvenience to you, we are adjusting the price of your Mobile Network Package from $15 to $11, effective June 1, 2020. Please note this new price (and any related credits) will appear within 1 to 2 billing cycles.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #103

Was this an e-mail that ATT sent to you?
gandl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post

key provisions of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) and that as a result, you would have lost access to out-of-market broadcast networks ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and The CW starting June 1, 2020.

We’re happy to let you know that DIRECTV will now continue to provide you with access to broadcast networks CBS, FOX, and NBC as part of your Mobile Network Package. Unfortunately, access to ABC and The CW networks are no longer part of your Mobile Network Package.

In recognition of any inconvenience to you, we are adjusting the price of your Mobile Network Package from $15 to $11, effective June 1, 2020. Please note this new price (and any related credits) will appear within 1 to 2 billing cycles.

Had you lost all or some of the DNS channels before receiving this notice? I assume you are now getting the CBS, NBC and FOX DNS (both East and west coast) channels.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #105

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes this email was sent to me by ATT. After June 1 the DNS were gone and now they are back except ABC and CW. I was looking to change to Dish and now glad I waited. You probably can go to ATT and view the same information on line.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #106

But no ABC going forward.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We just got an email from AT&T advising we'd be permanently losing ABC and the CW channels, will reduce our monthly bill by $4. Apparently we'll be able to keep CBS, NBC, FOX and PBS.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #108

E-mail for me with no ABC
Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #109

Anyone else received similar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post

Has anyone else received this email? I’m still without the three East and West coast network feeds I had before. NBC, CBS, and ABC. Never had Fox.
szakaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #110

sure seems like many of us have received this letter
Old 06-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #111

For those that have received the recent letter from ATT- are you 1) full timers or part timers; and 2) if part time do you also receive local network channels when at your sticks and bricks?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We're fulltime
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote