RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Just received from ATT/DTV

Dear xxxxxx

Regrettably, we must inform you of a new law that affects your programming. Until recently, the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) Act authorized DIRECTV to provide you access to all of your out-of-market broadcast networks—ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and FOX. Unfortunately, Congress has decided to not renew key provisions of this law. As a result, on June 1, 2020, we no longer will be able to provide you access to these channels.

If you’re paying for these channels, you’ll receive a credit within 1-2 billing cycles for this programming change. In addition, in recognition of your inconvenience, we will be providing you with a $20 bill credit per month for 24 months* beginning within 1-2 billing cycles.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
Dear xxxxxx

Regrettably, we must inform you of a new law that affects your programming. Until recently, the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) Act authorized DIRECTV to provide you access to all of your out-of-market broadcast networks—ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and FOX. Unfortunately, Congress has decided to not renew key provisions of this law. As a result, on June 1, 2020, we no longer will be able to provide you access to these channels.

If you’re paying for these channels, you’ll receive a credit within 1-2 billing cycles for this programming change. In addition, in recognition of your inconvenience, we will be providing you with a $20 bill credit per month for 24 months* beginning within 1-2 billing cycles.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV.
I wonder if AT&T even lobbied congress to renew it?

Old 04-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #3

We received the same email. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get local networks over ATT/DTV while traveling? I've heard people say they call at every destination and change their location. Perhaps the only way to get local networks while traveling is over the air when available. Bummer. We've enjoyed the networks from both coasts for years.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #4

There is so little I care about on locals it would npt bother me. But all of the biggies have streaming service for as little as 5 dollars a month each. So if you really really want the networks,,sign up for them.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
We received the same email. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get local networks over ATT/DTV while traveling? I've heard people say they call at every destination and change their location. Perhaps the only way to get local networks while traveling is over the air when available. Bummer. We've enjoyed the networks from both coasts for years.
we have DISH network and can change our service location to get the locals daily if need be either thru a phone call, chat message or via their app. from what i've read DTV is not so adept at doing that. streaming can work if you have a good cellular signal and a true unlimited data plan.
Old 04-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Yup, just received the same email. We live on the west coast and have paid for east coast channels to be able to watch shows at an earlier time. Lately we've been recording them for watching later so this change is going to save us some money.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:09 PM   #7

Does this apply to the major networks, cbs, abc nbc fox etc, or the entire channel lineup? For instance, I have the "extra" all included package. Will I loose all those channels or just the regional majors?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #8

It sucks
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does anyone have the Dish direct phone number for RV service?
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Does anyone have any ideas about how to get local networks over ATT/DTV while traveling? I've heard people say they call at every destination and change their location.
Well, if one were to contact DTV (I've had better luck with their online chat than via phone call) and request to have your SERVICE LOCATION changed to one of the geographic locations (either NYC or LA) that provide feed for the soon to be discontinued DNS, it might be possible that the stations provide that feed will continue to be broadcast over the entire continental US.

A few years ago, I talked to someone who did that while he was staying in the NYC metro area. Although he's since moved his RV around the country, he just hasn't had the time to contact DTV to change his service location and he tells me that he's been able to receive the local NYC networks all across the country.

He's not sure that'll continue to work after the upcoming DNS discontinuance.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When we were traveling with DTV, I would go on the website and chat with a tech person, not customer service, and change the address for new local channels. It worked for us pretty well.

Now we use Dish for My RV and the phone app will read your location and give the corresponding locals and your all set. It takes a matter of about 5 minutes and they are loaded. Also no contract. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
Old 04-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I got the same email. Getting service address changed can be a challenge with DTV. It would be nice if they'd let their mobile customers make the change online.

In the past I've changed our service address a couple times a year as our base moved back and forth between Florida and South Carolina. In recent years the challenge has always been getting a rep that knows how to make the change. "It could take 24 hours.." is a bunch of crap and more oftenthan not it never would change unless... If I could get through to the tech department the change would take 10 minutes.

Any network shows we watch we record off the east coast (New York) feed so those settings never had to be changed, never had to worry about missing anything as we traveled. When traveling in particular I'm not going to set my schedule around the TV schedule, we'll just be missing anything traditional network based in the future. TV is to fill the time when not otherwise engaged in exploring the outside world. In other words, this will cause them to loose viewers.

Local channels are helpfull to get local weather but is not always available OTA when traveling.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
......If you’re paying for these channels, you’ll receive a credit within 1-2 billing cycles for this programming change. In addition, in recognition of your inconvenience, we will be providing you with a $20 bill credit per month for 24 months* beginning within 1-2 billing cycles.
I got the same message only without the text shown in red!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobert View Post
When we were traveling with DTV, I would go on the website and chat with a tech person, not customer service, and change the address for new local channels. It worked for us pretty well.

Now we use Dish for My RV and the phone app will read your location and give the corresponding locals and your all set. It takes a matter of about 5 minutes and they are loaded. Also no contract. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
What is the name of the app? Is it difficult to get the locals when you’re on the road?