Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Kenwood KNA-G510 Garmin GPS: GPS box location in a 2007 Monaco Executive

Our 2007 Monaco Executive has a Kenwood KNA-G510 Garmin GPS system. The Kenwood display is built into the dash, but I'm not sure where the Garmin black box is located.

I would like to update the map data base on it. The instructions say to plug an SD card into the Garmin GPS main unit.

Does anyone know exactly where Monaco mounted the Garmin GPS black box and how to access it?

I realize there are new GPS systems out that are fantastic, but this one is already installed/interfaced and actually works well. It just needs updated maps.

Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Where is your GPS antenna located? If on the dashboard, you could follow the connection back to the unit. Here's the installation manual for the GPS unit. If not under the dash, then perhaps in a cabinet overhead.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. My GPS antenna is on the roof near the front cap. I havn't been able to trace the wire down.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Another option is to trace the cable that connects the GPS unit to the dash display/receiver.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Before going to a lot finding the card, you might check Garmin and see if it can be updated. You are looking at a fairly old unit if original and may not be supported.

LEN
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, but I haven't been able to figure out how to take the center dash apart.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Before going to a lot finding the card, you might check Garmin and see if it can be updated. You are looking at a fairly old unit if original and may not be supported.

LEN
The maps are a 2006 version.
I found the Garmin update and purchased a 2gb SD card for it. Just need to figure out how to get to it without destroying sonething.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had that KVT-516/KNA-G510 on my 2004 Georgetown. I had it installed to replace the OEM CD/radio and to add the GPS capability you are speaking of. It was a great unit and I miss it on my current MH. Typically, the GPS unit is stuffed into the dash area because the installers don't know that you can insert an SD card into it to update it. If that is the case with yours, you're either going to have to get yourself under the underside of the dash and search for it with a flashlight and by following the wire connection from the backside of the display unit, or get the dash plate off to find it that way. If this is an OEM install, I'm kind of surprised they would not have known that it's updatable and therefore put it into a position where you cold open it up to fit the SD card in. In any event, once you find it, if it's stuck inside the dash area, move it to the underside of the dash. I used Velcro on mine so that the SD card could easily be removed/installed. One more note, before you update the GPS unit, make sure the radio/DVD player itself has the latest updates installed first. Otherwise the GPS may not work correctly.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
This is an OEM option from Monaco. It has a Kenwood KVT-M707 stereo/monitor on the drivers side dash, and then the Kenwood KNA-510 GPS in the center of the dash.

I've been under the dash from the brake pedal area on the drivers side searching for the trailer brake pre-wire, but have not taken the center dash apart yet (not sure where to start).
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say in you last post "...and then the Kenwood KNA-510 GPS in the center of the dash.", do you mean that you have a separate dash monitor for the GPS from your Kenwood monitor ? Or are you saying you know where the KNA-G510 "black box" is in the dash? On my setup (I now appreciate that it is a little different from the one you have), the KNA-G510 provided the GPS feed to my Kenwood unit for display on its monitor. Is that the way yours works as well, or do you have separate GPS and Kenwood monitors?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

This is how the "black box" opens to insert the SD card.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Mike.
Yes, I have two Kenwood monitors (actually 3 with the bedroom Aladdin monitor). The KVT-M707 stereo is on the drivers side. It is the AM/FM stereo as well as the DVD player and camera/Aladdin monitor.

I also have a separate Kenwood KNA-510 monitor near the center of the dash. It is connected to the Garmin GPS that is hidden somewhere. It is a very good GPS, I just need to update the maps.

The original owner ordered it this way from Monaco, so it's all factory installed. I would hope they would have put the Garmin black box somewhere easy to access, but so far I can't find it.

The previous owner took very good care of everything else, so I suspect the Garmin box is buried somewhere.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm afraid I've come to the end of my usefulness here. If you can figure out how to get your GPS monitor out of the dash, or the center dash panel out or at least loosened so that you can stick a flashlight in there, I'm petty sure you'll find the GPS box. And when you do find it, with the standard wiring bundle, you ought to have enough cable to move it to a more accessible location for future updates. If you find it and you remember, send me a quick note. I'm really curious as to where it's located. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Found it. Just needed to jump in there and take the center dash apart. The center of the front dash has a simulated wood panel held in by 6 screws (this is separate from the drivers dash area). Took these out and removed the panel holding the Kenwood display along with 2 AC ducts.

Behind it are the Aladdin system, Kenwood amp, and the KNA-G510 GPS all stacked on each other. They are secured with industrial Velcro. I was able to remove the GPS by unplugging the GPS antenna wire and one wire bundle. Inserted the SD card with the Garmin 4.2 update and reconnected it. When I turned the power on it asked if I wanted to install the update. I selected Yes and it installed.

Also, I think I've tracked down a 2017 City Navigation North America map update.
Check back in a week or so and I'll post results.

Get the 4.2 update here:
Garmin: Kenwood KNA G510 Software Update Collection

Picture of the stacked Aladdin, Kenwood amp, and GPS.

Tags
cat, gps, monaco