Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #1

King Jack or Winegard Sensar IV?

I want to replace the original Winegard antenna on my 2001 Sierra 5th Wheel. I don't tow it. I'm in a seasonal park.

I talked to one owner in my park who has a King Jack Antenna Replacement Head--part #0A8000. I talked to another owner in my park who has a Winegard Sensor IV Antenna Replacement Head--part #RVW205. They're both happy with their antenna. I only want to replace the head because I think either of the above will easily mount to my current antenna mast.

Today I spoke with a salesman at Camping World. He said they're both pretty much the same. He said if he had to pick one it would be the King Jack because it is physically smaller.

Which one should I buy???
tombucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombucz View Post
I want to replace the original Winegard antenna on my 2001 Sierra 5th Wheel. I don't tow it. I'm in a seasonal park.

I talked to one owner in my park who has a King Jack Antenna Replacement Head--part #0A8000. I talked to another owner in my park who has a Winegard Sensor IV Antenna Replacement Head--part #RVW205. They're both happy with their antenna. I only want to replace the head because I think either of the above will easily mount to my current antenna mast.

Today I spoke with a salesman at Camping World. He said they're both pretty much the same. He said if he had to pick one it would be the King Jack because it is physically smaller.

Which one should I buy???
tombucz
If your original Winegard antenna is an "amplified Winegard batwing" I can save you a lot of time and some $$.
After spending many dollars and wasting a lot of time trying the "King Jack" and the "Winegard Sensor IV" I found that neither improved my reception any better than adding a $20 "Winegard Wingman" to my then 15 year old batwing.
Winegard GS-WING Wingman HDTV Antenna at TigerDirect.com
See this video:
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #3

If you are having reception problems the first thing to do is to determine where the problem lies.

First, make sure you are pointing the antenna in the right direction. The arrow on the knob does not point to the front of the antenna. The arrow is for positioning the antenna for stowing. If the arrow is pointing north the antenna is facing either east or west.

Most problems are not the antenna but the wiring. Check all the coax for:
  • Loose fittings
  • Corroded connectionsCracked or cut outer covering
Make sure that there is power getting to the antenna. While you are on the roof, disconnect the coax from the antenna and check that there is 12 volts present.

If some channels are good but others bad, you may benefit from adding the Wingman attachment. Make sure the antenna will stow okay with the Wingman attached. Or you could replace the head with the Sensar IV which has the Wingman built in. Prices are $25 > $30 for the Wingman. $50 > $60 for the Sensar IV head.

Here's a link to a good article on tuning up your antenna:
Tune up your antenna

The general consensus is that the Winegard Sensar is the best RV antenna, especially for VHF. In the U.S. about 25% of the full power stations are VHF.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

Thanks, Mel. I'm glad the Wingman worked for you.

I just spoke with a Winegard technician pertaining to my situation. I asked if I should get the Wingman or the Sensar IV replacement head. He said I will need the Sensar IV for optimum performance.

My trailer (and antenna) was 13 years old when I purchased it. Thanks for trying to save me some money. I've read mixed reviews on the Wingman so I'm going to purchase the entire head--just haven't decided if that'll be the Sensar IV or King Jack.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My personal experience is that the Jack antenna is far more superior to the amplified bat wing even with the Winegard add on antenna. I was at a campsite with little to NO reception on the bat wing, and with out moving or changing anything other then putting the Jack head in place of the Bat wing I then got 5-6 channels clearly.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #6

If you did not rotate the antenna, the Batwing was pointed the wrong direction. When you install a Jack, it is 90 degrees from the direction the Batwing was pointing.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

TOM M & D Lindy

Tom: Thanks for the info on positioning the batwing. Thing is, in my campground nobody gets any channels with the original batwing. They use other antennas, or Direct TV/Dish Network.

Lindy: Thanks for sharing your experience.

>>I've decided to buy King's Jack antenna replacement head.<<
Old 05-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Here's a link to a test of the Batwing vs Jack that SCVJeff on the RV.net forum did:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Batwing vs.BatMan vs. Jack: The Results.. finally (LONG)
Old 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_M View Post
Here's a link to a test of the Batwing vs Jack that SCVJeff on the RV.net forum did:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Batwing vs.BatMan vs. Jack: The Results.. finally (LONG)
Tom_M
That data says it all.
If that does not prove the superiority of the Batwing/Wingman combination antenna over the King Jack antenna to anyone they are people who have their mind made up and don't want to be confused with FACTS!
Mel
'96 Safari, (19 year old Batwing with Wingman added in 2010)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
Community Moderator

i bought a jack in oregon last year there and installed. unbelievable, the number of channels, the clarity, and the video colors have all exceeded my expectations. i have never used the bat wing with add-on, so i can't compare the two. i think you can't go wrong with jack.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the Sensar IV

I replaced my Winegard Sensar II with a Sensar IV. First I made sure my cable was good and 12V was getting to the Antenna from the amplifier. I did see some improvement and it was really simple to do.

Jim
Old 08-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a radio operator I know that "Physically Samller" is not a good thing. in most cases.. There is an ideal length for a radio antenna (Television is a form of radio) And that length is determined by frequency or wavelength.

Channel 2 for example (Carrier channel 2, almost no longer used) is 56MHz so the ideal length of the wire is 150/56 meters or about 3 That is about 9 feet (I am rounding shamlessely here to keep it easy.

Neither antenna is that big but the Sensar IV is designed to cover all 3 TV bands, VHF LO (Still a few down there) VHF HIGH quite a few there) and UHF (Where most of them went) the Jack is designed for UHF and perhaps a bit of VHF HI, useless on VHF LOW less you are very close to transmitter.

It is rare that I see truly independent lab testing but one of the forum members has an electronics lab at his disposal (Actually many hams have all that is needed) and he hooked both a Jack and a Sensar III up to his lab.. the Sensar way outperformed the Jack.

He added with wingman and it got better still.

(Sensar IV comes with Wingman)

And I added the SENSAR PRO indoor module on mine (WOW beats the LED's off the Jack "Sure Lock")

One special case.. On a radio antenna there are two or three considerations.

Gain: The Sensar IV has the most gain, the Sensar Pro adds to it.
Beam Width: The Jack has a wider field of vision
NOTE: GAIN is an inverse function of beam width, The greater the beam width the lower the gain and the other way around,, GAIN is how far you can see. think Telescope.

Front to back ratio.. neither one of them does well on VHF, Both do well on UHF.