Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #1

King Tailgater Pro/Dish - Why is this so darn difficult??

We have Dish in our home and generally satisfied. Purchased an RV a few month ago. Currently outfitting it, getting ready to get it on the road. I picked up a King Tailgater Pro, Walley, Tripod and Case off FB Market place. I thought, and there was my first mistake, I thought this would be easy to master. I activated the Walley w/o issue. The issue is not picking up Sat129 which is where all the channles are. Dish tried to help but said to call King. After several failed attempts I am giving up on King. Before I make the next move I will ask here for help/advice.
My zip code is 17356. Is there anything I can do to get the Tailgater to find Sat 129. The Tailgater has power, I see it move and see LEDs.
Did I buy the wrong sat reviever dish? Is there something better/easier out there w/o breaking the bank. I only need one TV.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lsowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess the first question is...is the King unit the correct model for Dish network.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsowers View Post
We have Dish in our home and generally satisfied. Purchased an RV a few month ago. Currently outfitting it, getting ready to get it on the road. I picked up a King Tailgater Pro, Walley, Tripod and Case off FB Market place. I thought, and there was my first mistake, I thought this would be easy to master. I activated the Walley w/o issue. The issue is not picking up Sat129 which is where all the channles are. Dish tried to help but said to call King. After several failed attempts I am giving up on King. Before I make the next move I will ask here for help/advice.
My zip code is 17356. Is there anything I can do to get the Tailgater to find Sat 129. The Tailgater has power, I see it move and see LEDs.
Did I buy the wrong sat reviever dish? Is there something better/easier out there w/o breaking the bank. I only need one TV.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Have you had the Wally receiver working at home. That's where I would start. I bought a new to me DP and the PO had Direct TV. I tried to activate the receiver and DT said they could not activate that receiver I had to buy a new one. Next question. Did you buy all the stuff from the same person and they say it worked?

I am sure mine all worked together as the PO had it and told me his subscription was expired.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #4

Yes, I have two of the Dish Satellites working but cannot get it to see 129, the main sat for Dish channels.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sure you will get a lot of answers, but this (sometimes) works for me:
I use a phone app to ensure that there is nothing blocking the signal.
Sat 129 is a high frequency signal (skinny beam for the dish to catch) and the least little thing will interrupt the signal. A leaf on a tree, a loose coax connection, unlevel antenna, not pointing north (for western signal) - it will drive you crazy.

Start if you can by connecting the coax directly from the Wally to the antenna. If you pick up the 129 bird, that verifies your antenna, the coax, and the wally.
Now look for something else like a coach connection, splitter, etc.

Good luck!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #6

the handle of the dish tailgater should be facing north. The majority of the dome facing south. If it doesnt you won't get 129
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #7

try doing a reset
then move the King 5' to the right or left and re-boot

the dome dish's are finicky
even when there's a clear line-of-site to the satellites, the dome dish sometimes doesn't set-up properly on all 3 sats

for me...after a year of using a dome dish, I changed out to the roof-mount Winegard Hybrid Travler
it cost more $$$, but now it's an ez on & set-up with Wally or Hopper3 when there's a clear line-of-site
no more waiting and wondering

hindsight...
wish i had known then what i know now
that i would only be happy with a Travler
Old 05-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #8

We've full-time all over the u.s. for 5 yrs now and we have 2 dish king domes and 2 receivers. I also bought the tripods but ended up getting rid of them because I mounted the domes on my roof and honestly its just easiest to move the fiver around when we arrive then breaking out all my Extention cables and tripods and taking them off the roof.
We have been very satisfied with dish for the rv and the reception for all 3 satellites in the sky. The only time that we will ever have a problem with our hd channels or 129 satellite, it always comes down to interference from a trees branches. That's why we have learned as soon as we pull in to our site the first thing we look at is the south to sw view of the sky and adjust coach on site to accommodate. Doing a signal search is the first thing my wife will do on the inside procedures.
Only about a handful of times in 5 yrs had the app not worked for resetting locals were we had to call support and we move around every couple weeks.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #9

It should work - if you have a clear view of the southern sky. And the bets advice was to hook up the antenna directly to the Wally through the door, not through the RV! My RV's cables are so bad and probably the worst kind of coax.
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've been using Dish with a Wally and standard Dish Tailgater with lots of success most of the time in our RV.

I did the initial setup at home with a clear view of the southern sky.

Sometimes we cannot get all 3 satellites due to trees and stuff. Then the Wally just gives us standard def. reception.

I do sometimes breakout the big dish and get more reception. Harder to lock on and set up.

Penn. is a wee bit further north than us. That could be the issue due to being too low in the sky.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:46 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Try this to reset the Wally....

Unplug the coax. Do a full reset. It may take a while and, of course, it will fail.

Then plug the coax in, let the satellite antenna self locate then do a reset on the Wally.

A lot of times this kind of clears "things" up. Sounds like it worth a try at least.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #12

Do you have the tailgater connected directly to the receiver or are you running it through your RV prewired hookups? If you haven’t already tried connect the tailgater directly to the receiver!
CampIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #13

Thanks for the help/insight.

My home must be in a bad spot. I purchased a WInegard Pathway X. Same results as the King. I took the Pathway out this past weekend and it worked just fine. I think my location has a lot to do with the success or faliure of picking up the three satellites.

Tags
dish