Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

King Tailgater vs Dish Tailgater

Are these 2 the same thing?
If not, what's the difference.

I want to be able to have satellite TV going to 2 different TVs at the same time, showing 2 different channels.

Which models will allow this? It looks like I will be limited to either the Wally receiver or a few of the VIP211 model receivers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
... It looks like I will be limited to either the Wally receiver or a few of the VIP211 model receivers.
If I have to use 1 of these receivers, that's fine.

My main concern is which satellite receiver allows you to watch 2 different programs on 2 different TVs at the same time.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

2 receivers does not work like they claim. Sure, set main tv to a satilite , then watch 2nd reciever on same sat but if you change channel and sat, 2nd reciever won't follow, it needs complete rescan. I have tried new receivers, hours on the phone with Dish. I can even manually set the 2nd reciever to the new Sat, get good tone & it reverts back. Main reciever works like a dream
Old 07-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #4

King will support 2 televisions but check it out first we ended up using only 1 tv and use the wally if they set unused for a while they are a pain to restart usually have to call dish for assistance.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Get the Dish Playmaker for 1 receiver and Dish Playmaker for 2 receivers, it's the latest technology. Finds the sats much faster and will move between sats when you change to a channel that is on a different sat faster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 PM   #6

King Tailgater vs Dish Tailgater

Both are designed to pick up the Dish satellites. Neither will let you watch two different programs at the same time unless both programs are on the same satellite. The Playmaker or Pathway is probably a better option
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Get the Dish Playmaker for 1 receiver and Dish Playmaker for 2 receivers ...
I don't understand.
It sounds like you're saying the same thing twice.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
Both are designed to pick up the Dish satellites. Neither will let you watch two different programs at the same time unless both programs are on the same satellite. The Playmaker or Pathway is probably a better option
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
...Neither will let you watch two different programs at the same time unless both programs are on the same satellite...
By "on the same satellite", do you mean both TVs watching 110 at the same time? Or, both watching 119 at the same time? Or, even watching 129 at the same time?

Or, do you mean that both TVs just have to both be watching the EAST satellite at the same time, or both TVs be watching the WEST satellite at the same time?

I'm not trying to make this a complicated issue. I just don't want to buy equipment that won't do what I am trying to do.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #9

The antenna will lock on to one satellite, 110,119 or 129. These are the Western arc satellites. The Eastern are 61.5, 727.7 and 77. The Western arc is good for most of the US. You can watch separate programs if the are being broadcast from the same satellite. 129 has most of the HD programming. You will need a separate receiver for each TV. The Wally is the current one. Just make sure that which ever antenna you get that it is the model that has dual outputs, they make both a single and dual out on some antennas.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:52 PM   #10

If you want to be able to watch a channel on one TV and *any* other channel on the 2nd TV with no restrictions then you need an open faced dish. Either a Traveler (automatic roof mounted) or a regular dish like you would mount on a roof, attached to a tripod or other mount (manual, meaning you have manually to aim it every time you set it up).

None of the automatic done dishes will do what you want without restrictions. They all have one LNB and can only see one satellite at a time. As long as both TVs want to watch a channel that is broadcast on the same satellite as the main tv is watching, a dome (tailgater, playmaker, pathway) will work.
starneml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #11

So, the domed dish, aimed westerly, sees 110, 119 & 129.

Is it possible for 1 TV to watch a program on 110 & the 2nd TV to watch a program on either 119 or 129?

Or, do both TVs have to be watching something that's on 110, 119 or 129, even though both shows are on different channels?
Old 07-02-2020, 02:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
So, the domed dish, aimed westerly, sees 110, 119 & 129.

Is it possible for 1 TV to watch a program on 110 & the 2nd TV to watch a program on either 119 or 129?

Or, do both TVs have to be watching something that's on 110, 119 or 129, even though both shows are on different channels?
The dome can only see 1 satellite at a time. Even the ones with 2 cable connectors.

It sees 110 OR 119 OR 129. It does not see all 3 at the same time.

Both TV's need to watch programming on ONE satellite.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:04 AM   #13

And Dish doesn’t make it easy to know what is broadcast on what satellite.

The 211 receivers used to tell you on the Info page (not sure if they still do). The Wally receiver doesn’t show this.

There use to be a page that was kept updated at the satellite guys website but it isn’t maintained any longer.

On the Wally you can go to the diagnostics screen and see what satellite the tuner is pointing to (where you see the signal strength).

The nice thing about the Wally and an
Open faced dish is that your Wally suddenly has two tuners and can watch one and record a 2nd channel. The dome dishes won’t do this.
starneml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #14

Well, y'all have surely helped me make up my mind.

I decided not to go with a domed antenna. I decided to go with two VIP211z receivers, instead of the Wally. (I've read good reviews & bad reviews for both the VIP211z & the Wally.)

I'll report on the VIP211z receivers once I've had a chance to run them for a while.

And, I plan on running the Dish 1000 2 antenna, with the 3 LNBs.

If I'm making a mistake on any of this, I'll know soon enough.

Thank you, everyone.
Y'all gave me plenty of insight.
I really appreciate it.

Tags
dish