Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #1

King Tailgater vs Winegard Playmaker?

Which one of these would y'all recommend? I only need it for one receiver which is a Wally. From what I understand either of these antennas would give me the capability to record (using external hard drive) one channel while watching another recorded show. I would also be able to record two OTA channels using the OTA adapter at the same time. Is this correct?

Also I read that the Tailgater and Playmaker (with new software update) can pick up both the western and eastern birds. Is this correct?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

The Pathway X2 does both east and western arcs. I did read that the latest Tailgator Pro version can as well. No knowledge about the Playmaker.

A Wally with the 'dual' OTA adapter should do what you want with a DVR feature enabled. Please note that the dual OTA adapter runs hot!
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
The Pathway X2 does both east and western arcs. I did read that the latest Tailgator Pro version can as well. No knowledge about the Playmaker.

A Wally with the 'dual' OTA adapter should do what you want with a DVR feature enabled. Please note that the dual OTA adapter runs hot!
I found out about the adapter running hot on my just finished trip.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:

To clarify, the X2 supports full Eastern Arc mode (61.5, 72, and 77) and Western Arc (110/119/129) whereas the Playmaker (and Tailgater) only support hybrid mode (119/110/61.5).
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post
To clarify, the X2 supports full Eastern Arc mode (61.5, 72, and 77) and Western Arc (110/119/129) whereas the Playmaker (and Tailgater) only support hybrid mode (119/110/61.5).
What is the difference besides a different type of LNB? The video (HD) will be the same won't it? Also don't all three of the above listed options only pick up one satellite at a time?

When I had Directv I used a tripod setup when the Trav'ler would not work due to being blocked by trees. I got to where I used it less and less. Being I switched to Dish I would have to spend just about the same cost for the Dish tripod setup as it would cost for either the Playmaker or Tailgater. I know I would loose the capabilities of picking up 3 satellites at the same time, but I can put up with that for a few days.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM   #6

The channels broadcast from each satellite will vary as will whether they are in SD or HD. With 3 satellites you will get plenty of channels.

129 and 72 have lots of HD. 61 has lots of east coast locals in HD. 129 has HD locals (more west) as well.

Distance Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX..) are national broadcast in HD, if you qualify, but are only on 119.

The short answer is 'content'. If you can only get 1 or 2 satellites, lots of channels will be 'missing'.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What is the difference besides a different type of LNB? The video (HD) will be the same won't it? Also don't all three of the above listed options only pick up one satellite at a time?

When I had Directv I used a tripod setup when the Trav'ler would not work due to being blocked by trees. I got to where I used it less and less. Being I switched to Dish I would have to spend just about the same cost for the Dish tripod setup as it would cost for either the Playmaker or Tailgater. I know I would loose the capabilities of picking up 3 satellites at the same time, but I can put up with that for a few days.
mjeffrey's response directly after yours really kind of summarizes this - content is the biggest difference. You can get a better understanding of what is broadcast from each satellite by using a site like Lyngsat and finding the DISH packages for each satellite. For non-local channels, make sure you're looking at CONUS transponders (it will be in the left side of the table). It will show you what channels are broadcast from each satellite.

Also, being full eastern arc has benefits in terms of line of sight as well. If 119 is completely blocked, the Playmaker hybrid mode is unusable as we must lock to 119 to complete our search - even if it sees 61.5 during a search, if it cannot see 119, it will consider it a failed search and time out.

I am not going to definitively answer on the competitor product but I would think that unit requires a positive lock of 119 for operation as well.

Lastly, the X2's larger reflector leads to better signal performance and an improved ability to deal with light obstructions.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Will the X2 pickup more than 1 sat. at a time with 2 users? With the Tailgater if one of the users changes to a station on a different sat it causes an error. Both users must use the same satellite. Is this true on the X2 ?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Durley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #9

Hopefully Winegard will confirm this but as I understand '2 receiver' mode, the antennae is directed to lock on to only satellite 72 in the east. I believe it has the most content so both receivers get all the (72 sat.) channels all the time.

So yes, both users do use the same satellite.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hopefully Winegard will confirm this but as I understand '2 receiver' mode, the antennae is directed to lock on to only satellite 72 in the east. I believe it has the most content so both receivers get all the (72 sat.) channels all the time.

So yes, both users do use the same satellite.
Correct, when a user selects the two satellite setting, the X2 will point to 72.

Alternatively, a user can use single mode and pick either arc while still connecting a second receiver. The secondary receiver will get programming from whatever satellite the antenna is currently pointed out. The main downside with that setup is that the secondary receiver may have to run a checkswitch with each satellite toggle to download the guide.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 AM   #11

Below are some questions concerning how the automatic antennas work.

1) Will it move from one satellite to another one as the channel is selected? If that is the case is there a delay in changing the channels?

2) Will most of the channels be on the same satellite? I am not concerned with the local channels
Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 AM   #12

1) Yes, if the new channel is on a different satellite. A few to several second delay for the dish to reposition.

2) depends on the channels you watch. You really will not notice much of a delay.

Some channels are broadcast in HD and SD, but the SD might be on a different satellite.

So if the HD channel is blocked by trees or heavy rain, you might still get the channel in SD on a different satellite.

There are lists on the internet of which channels are on which satellites.