Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #1

laptop frustration

Can anyone tell me how to keep Bing from opening every time I open my laptop?

I use firefox as my default browser, but each time I start my laptop Bing opens first. I have to close it to keep it from running in the background.

Not a game changer but it gets old.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post

I use firefox as my default browser, but each time I start my laptop Bing opens first. I have to close it to keep it from running in the background.

list the version of the operating system you are running.
Windows once upon a time had a "start up" folder and any app in that folder would launch when windows started. I don't know if the newer versions still have this behavior. But if they do, you just delete the shortcut from the folder.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #3

Bing is what is known as an extension and may be opening with Firefox if Firefox automatically opens when you start your laptop. Here's a link to an article on how to remove or disable it from Firefox:

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/r...lla-22179.html

Note that this will work for any unwanted browser extension, so, while you're at it run down the list of active extensions and get rid of any you don't want.

If it's in your computer's start-up menu, here are some links that may help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...client=gws-wiz
Old 06-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #4

In the Bing settings there should be an option called "run on startup". Almost every program has this feature. Should be in there somewhere
R0ughhab1tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

I gave some bad info in my original post.

Microsoft Edge starts every time I open my computer and it has bing on it for the home page.

As I said earlier, firefox is my default browser but edged opens first. I have to close edge and open Firefox manually.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:32 PM   #6

I'm a bit lazy and don't care to go rooting for such things. I use a free program called Advanced System Care to root such stuff out. Run it and select "speed up" from the main menu and then "startup Optimizer". It will list everything that starts up with your computer with the option to disable what you want to. Even suggestions on how to handle things that you may not be able to identify.

The rest of the program is pretty handy too. One touch system check and cleanup which I try to run on my collection of PC's like once a month. Free but they do bug you a little to buy their pay version. Not annoyingly so though. They do try to slide in a download of some useless "iTop" programs when you download or update. You can just say no to those. If you load one by mistake they have "Iobit Uninstaller" which is another freebie which will happily uninstall the iTop things or anything else that might be bugging you. Even their own software. I've been using both program like ten years now.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:

Microsoft Edge starts every time I open my computer and it has bing on it for the home page.

As I said earlier, firefox is my default browser but edged opens first. I have to close edge and open Firefox manually.

Sort of the same answer: Somewhere there is a setting to open EDGE on startup.

I am running Windows 10, can't say for certain for other operating systems.

Go to the little box in bottom left corner that is supposed to look like a WINDOW.

Click on the WINDOW, then click on the GEAR for "settings" adjustments. There is a selection for APPS. Select it.

On my computer, these last selection is START UP. Find the one for Microsoft Edge and turn it OFF. (Note - on mine, it is named Microsoft Edge, not simply EDGE.

Now, go to the selection for DEFAULT. I bet that EDGE was set as your default WEB BROWSER there at one time. Change that to Firefox if it is not already.

----> You might have set Firefox as the default be browser on the Firefox setting, but that didn't change the Start Up screen.

===> If you don't know what you are doing, I wouldn't turn any of the other START UP programs off.

Finally, I am not a computer guru, so take everything I just said with a grain of salt and gallon of water.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:52 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

CTRL-ALT-Del, select Task Manager, then click on the Startup tab.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
CTRL-ALT-Del, select Task Manager, then click on the Startup tab.

Edge is disabled in my task manager, and I have disabled it in every startup setting I can find and it still opens first with Bing.

And by the way I am using windows 11.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What version of Windows are you using?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Download CCleaner (the free version).

Run the "clear you browser" tool.

Run the tool that looks for extensions and plug-ins in your browser.

Finally, run the tool that removes start up items.

Hopefully that will work, and hopefully it'll work on W11. What Microsoft did with W11 to eliminate some common tampering ought to be illegal.

oh - once you get CCleaner downloaded and up to date, disengage from any network(s) and run the program. Microsoft is watching most things you do on your computer it seems and they love to force their version of everything on you.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Hopefully that will work, and hopefully it'll work on W11. What Microsoft did with W11 to eliminate some common tampering ought to be illegal.

oh - once you get CCleaner downloaded and up to date, disengage from any network(s) and run the program. Microsoft is watching most things you do on your computer it seems and they love to force their version of everything on you.
I run CCleaner and like it, but wasn't going to suggest someone download a new program. I have never had any issues with CCleaner - is this a new Microsoft issue? I haven't gone to W11 yet, was going to ask a couple of IT guys I know before I took the step of doing that.

I am getting tired of MS trying to get me to install W11. It seems like every couple of weeks, on boot up, my computers tries to convince me to install W11, and I have to take time to figure out what to click on to escape their clutches.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Open FF and go to the "Tools" at the top.
Click "Settings"
Second line under "Settings" put a check in the box "Always check if FF is your default browser."
Done
Old 06-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:

I'll give the same reply I did before. In Microsoft edge in the settings there should be an option "run on startup". Click that off and it shouldn't do that anymore.

This should work too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220630-151844.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	369788  
R0ughhab1tz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust