RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #1

Laptop TO Laptop

Howdy Gang,

I am NOT real computer savvy ... just enough to get by

Old HP Laptop with Windows 8 started giving me problems and after numerous reboots I have it working OK......never shut it down now cause it may not come back on/work

So I bought a new HP Laptop with Windows 10
Intel Core i5 processor 8GB RAM 64 bit (whatever that means)

HOW do I transfer photos, word documents, bookmarks etc from OLD to NEW?????
Simple english instructions........no computer geek speak please!

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 08:23 PM   #2

easiest way is to copy them from your Win8 pc to a USB thumb drive and then from the thumb drivev to your Win10 pc. do you know what a USB thumb drive is?

do you know how to copy files?
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Hopefully you know where all of your documents are. In windows 10 they are stored in a folder called "Documents". Hopefully they are stored in the same folder in windows 8. you need to find out how big the folder(s) where your documents are stored are. You then should get a USB (thumb) drive that is bigger. They usually come in 32 G, 64G and 28G these days. If you have one already you're all set. Then find the folder(s) where your documents are stored, right click on the icon, select copy, navigate to the USB drive (I forgot to tell you to plug it into the USB port), right click on the USB drive and select paste. To get the files on your new hard drive SSD (Solid State Drive) or whatever storage medium you have in your new computer, remove the USB drive from your old computer and insert it into your new computer. Once the new computer recognizes the USB drive right click on the folder you just transferred, select copy then navigate to the C: of the new computer, select the "documents" folder on the new computer, right click and select Paste. Or you can do what my wife does and that's keep all of her important stuff on the USB drive and that way if the computer crashes she has all of here data. I know it sounds a little confusing but it's really not that hard if you can transfer files around you can do this. Maybe try transferring just a couple of folders first to get the hang of it. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:48 PM   #4

Congratulations on your new computer! I received my new one today - a Dell G7 laptop with Core i9 with 32 gig of RAM and one terabyte hard drive. I spent the day removing all the junk and installing all my junk. It is replacing a Windows XP laptop that has gotten too old to do the job.
As rk911 said, a thumb drive is the easiest low tech method of file transfer. You can purchase a 64 gig thumb drive two pack on Amazon for $13.00 or so.
To get your bookmarks, look on the task bar at the bottom of the screen and you should see an icon that looks like a file folder. That is a short cut to your Windows Explorer. Click on it and look for a directory called OS (C or similar. Click once on that then scroll down to a folder called Users. Click once on that then look for a folder with your name. Click on that and a list of folders will show up. One of those is Favorites. That where the bookmarks from your browser are stored. Copy them to the thumb drive and then move it to the new computer. Copy (or move) the files to the identical folder on the new computer.
Probably the easiest way for you to move documents over is to open them one at a time and then Save As onto the thumb drive. On the new computer, open each one and Save As to the location you want to keep them.

One of the best things about Windows is that there are several ways to accomplish the same thing. Once you find a method that makes sense to you, you'll be good to go!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #5

THANKS!

Wasn't sure if I had to use a USB thumb drive or if it could be done using a USB to USB CABLE
And if so HOW?

Old 09-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently got a new HP with Win 10 to replace my old, obstinate Win 7 machine. I was able to move all my files directly from the old unit to the new by accessing both over my network. It did take a while.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I recently got a new HP with Win 10 to replace my old, obstinate Win 7 machine. I was able to move all my files directly from the old unit to the new by accessing both over my network. It did take a while.
jt
Over your network??

Was that a 'wireless' transfer ??

My Wifi is limited.....it is over a phone line (only option other then Satellite dish) that plugs into a WiFi Router

Not quite 'dial up' but still limited as to data transfers
Old 09-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep us updated on how this transfer goes for you.

Good luck young man!!

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Yes, you can use a usb cable. It is a special cable called a "USB Data Transfer Cable" Mine had some sort of filter in the middle. That said, it worked to transfer data from my desktop to a laptop. It was not to complicated to learn. Lots of info on the internet and Youtube. Here is what my cable looks like. https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Tran...56548527&psc=1
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye1995 View Post
Yes, you can use a usb cable. It is a special cable called a "USB Data Transfer Cable" Mine had some sort of filter in the middle. That said, it worked to transfer data from my desktop to a laptop. It was not to complicated to learn. Lots of info on the internet and Youtube. Here is what my cable looks like. https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Tran...56548527&psc=1

I like that idea........THANKS
Old 09-06-2020, 10:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Over your network??

Was that a 'wireless' transfer ??

My Wifi is limited.....it is over a phone line (only option other then Satellite dish) that plugs into a WiFi Router

Not quite 'dial up' but still limited as to data transfers

Yes, over my wireless network. I forget exactly how I did it but basically you allow other computers on your network. You can then “see” that other computer and I just selected files and moved them to the new computer. But, like I said, it did take a while. Several hours as I recall.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I like that idea........THANKS
Looks like a good way to go.

The reviews said to DISABLE your antivirus software when you use it.

Thinking about getting one myself...if you get it let us know how you liked it.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I just activated a brand new Dell laptop to replace my old one with hinges that were failing.

I purchased a license to use Dell's migration service software and was able to move >150GB of photos and other data in a couple of hours. Most of my stuff also had copies in the cloud so I probably could existed without physical copies on the laptop but I like the assurance of having a copy that isn't in the cloud. The program worked entirely by wifi; no cables or USB sticks needed.

Although this was a Dell product, I suspect that someone else has an equivalent program you could obtain. What was nice was that is was essentially automatic and I didn't have to do anything but watch it work.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:33 AM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Using wi-fi with both computers on the same router of course can be plenty fast and probably faster than a thumb drive but it might take a little bit of geek work but not much.

You can set up your computers for file sharing. Once they are told to share files you can then copy and paste quickly.

Favorites in many of the internet applications like Chrome, fire fox, Edge, Explorer etc have a function often kind of out of the way. It may be an export/import command. You export favorites or contacts if using e-mail for example. You export them as a file and can choose to export them onto your desktop for ease of finding them to copy them over via a thumbdrive as suggested. You should keep a copy of those exported contacts on a thumbdrive or get a decent size external HD. The solid state devices are extremely fast and can hole more data that you can imagine.

I keep a thumbdrive in one of my vehicles with important things like that. In the cloud may be fine but old school off premise backups are safe.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote