Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

LCD TV question

My 2007 MH came equiped with a 24" Sony w/o a digital tuner. After a long search I found a 32" Motorola TV that (with a shoehorn) was able to be fitted in the TV housing. Beautiful picture.
But - - when a football game was playing, the picture became blurred during fast action. Did I make a mistake by not getting a 120/240 HZ frequency model? Is there any recourse?

Have a nice day - Darrel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Size wise, sounds like you found the same digital TV as we did.
The pic should be as good or better than the old Sony - with a strong station, much better. I am given to believe that early on the digital stations are weaker (in range) than prior stations which makes antenna orientation much more important. Some have suggested repointing the antenna for each station.
Doubt seriously that the new TV caused the problem or that the newer 120mh would solve it as they are more for "gamers" and blu-ray use.
Incidentally, ours will not "auto find" one of the local stations as its antenna is not located on the same hill as all the others.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
paz

Motion blur is a problem with some LCD TVs because the individual pixels can't change from light to dark fast enough. It is known as motion blur, smear, or motion lag. The time it takes for a pixel to change from dark to light and back to dark again in called response time.

The blur will be more noticeable on TVs with a longer response time. This specification is sometimes hard to find because the manufacturer won't publicize it if it is unfavorable. The publicized response time is also sometimes unreliable because the manufacturer will conduct measurements under the conditions that give the best results, and those conditions may not represent real-world conditions. But from what I can gather, a response time of 8 or 10 milliseconds usually provides an acceptable picture while 14 milliseconds or more may yield a noticeable blur. I think you're stuck with what you have.

I'm not an expert by any means (I am doing some research in preparation of replacing our existing CRT TV), but I think 120/240Hz refresh rate has more to do with how movies are displayed on the screen. Movies are displayed at 24 frames per second, and the standard refresh rate for LCD TV screens is 60Hz. The rate of 24 frames per second for the movie doesn't divide evenly into 60Hz, so there may be some jitter. Refresh rates of 120 or 240Hz are evenly divisible by 24, so the picture is smoother.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen jerkiness on our plasma and LCD TV's, but only during a sport event like football. I have not seen a blur.

I wonder if the new LED screens are better?
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
paz, thanks for the info on the causes of blur or jerkiness on LCD TV's. I am going to do some upgrading to our set in the motorhome in the near future, and would really be interested in what brand and model TV you arrive at after your research. Being electronically challenged, I was unaware of any of the info you posted, just assumed all LCD pictures were the same.
Also just wanted to say, I enjoy reading you blog!

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #6

Thanks Paz for your insightful explanation. After you clued me in to the "motion blur" term I found some interesting articles in an HDTV forum. You are correct that I (and many others) will probably have to live with this problem.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
paz, thanks for the info on the causes of blur or jerkiness on LCD TV's. I am going to do some upgrading to our set in the motorhome in the near future, and would really be interested in what brand and model TV you arrive at after your research. Being electronically challenged, I was unaware of any of the info you posted, just assumed all LCD pictures were the same.
Also just wanted to say, I enjoy reading you blog!

Dieselclacker
Panasonic claims a response time of 8 milliseconds; but as I said in my first post, manufacturers sometimes stretch their performance claims. However, the Panasonic sets look good just observing the HD demos in the store (Best Buy), and the LG sets look pretty good, too. There are probably others, but those are 2 that I found that look good so far. I'll probably spend some more time just watching the TVs in the store before I make up my mind. We have always been happy with Panasonic products in the past (several TVs, 2 VCRs, a DVD), and the prices are competitive, so I'm leaning toward Panasonic.

Like I say, I'm not an expert. I just Googled HDTV and did some reading. I know just enough to be dangerous.

PS: Thanks for your kind words about our blog.

paz
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #8

One thing to keep in mind. 2 Years ago I bought a 32 inch Sony Bravia. It fit in the tv cut out for the RV with a shoe horn. But after a month I had to adjust something be hind it. I couldn't believe how hot it got in the cut out. I moved the 32 inch into the house and bought a 26 inch for 5ver. LCD's need a bit of air flow to keep cool.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote