Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

LED Strip Lights instead of Outside Light??

I would like to attach some LED strip lights on the side of my Tiffin motorhome. These would be wired into the outside light which is controlled by a switch. I would like to either disconnect the standard light or replace it with a LED bulb if possible. I also want to have some lighting outside that may not attract so many bugs.

I love the lights hanging on my awning, but after rushing to remove everything due to a storm has ruined them for me. They are to much trouble. Of course whatever I put on the side of the MH will have to survive while driving the motorhome.

Is any of this possible and if so what would y'all suggest to get?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe this will give you some ideas!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/got-m...ed-227755.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Several members have done this upgrade. Here's some threads:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

And there's way more threads. Just do a search for LED awning lights.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I put an LED light strip just under the gutter/awning groove and hooked them into the outside light (approx 16' long). The ones I got change colors or not. You can also select what color you want or let them change colors fast or slow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437437881.567083.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	100702

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Old 07-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #5

I have read most of these discussions and absorbed as much as I could. I mainly would like to know how to actually wire the lights to my outside light. My outside light is in the middle of my awning so I will most likely have to wire up a set on each side.

Also are the bugs more or less attracted to LED lights?
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Bugs are attracted to any light, doesn't matter the kind. Even those so called "bug lights" - you know the yellow ones - attract bugs. That's the reason we use blue rope lights (haven't gotten around to changing those to LED yet). Blue gives a soft glow for maneuvering around after dark, doesn't bother the neighbors & since the neighbors usually have brighter lights (either yellow or white), the bugs go over there & leave us alone.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
X2 on the blue. I have cycled through the colors on mine and always end up leaving them on blue.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:40 PM   #8

OK - so blue is the way to go.

Any suggestions on how to wire these to my light?
Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not familiar with your coach or how it is configured. My light is in the middle of the awning also but I have a slide on the other side of the door. If you want me to send you a PM on how I did mine, I will.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBCCB View Post
I am not familiar with your coach or how it is configured. My light is in the middle of the awning also but I have a slide on the other side of the door. If you want me to send you a PM on how I did mine, I will.

That would be greatly appreciated. My light is about centered under my awning which is about 19' long. It is not on a slide. I am hoping I won't have to run a piece of wiring on the side of the motorhome to get to the end of the strip light. This could be around 7'.

Tags
led, light, lights