Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #1

led tail lights are glowing slightly

. . i replaced the tail/brake/backup light assemblies on our '88 lasalle, checking for proper operation of each light as it was wired. everything checked fine. a week later, at night, we noticed a slight glow from the running lights.
. . apparently there is some voltage being fed over from another source. has anyone experienced this? what did u do to fix it?
. . it does not appear to be enough current to drain the battery. after a week, it started right up.
. . each of the lights still works just right. quite well, as a matter of fact. if u stand behind it for long with the brake lights on, u will get a sunburn. these lights are bright.

thanks,
bill
billw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

I take it this glow is when you operate the brake & turn signals without having lights switched on? Are the marker lights led too or incandescent? Maybe a possible interference between light types ?

Also some led lights require a ballast resistor to work properly due to them pulling such low current, maybe fitting the resistors could help.

Just random thoughts so don't know for sure, also just out of curiosity what did you replace the rear lights with? Complete units or just led bulbs? Been looking at the bargman triple led unit #86 if I remember.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #3

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Try pulling the fuse, if they go off, suspect the light switch. What kind, type of coach/chassis. Do you have a smart wheel? Could be in the courtesy flash switch on the wheel.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had that problem twice. Both times it was the cord between the coach and toad. The connector had gotten water in it and shorted out inside between the toad charge wire and tail lamp circuits.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Billw47 I would not expect LED's on DC circuits to glow, AC I can understand, but not DC. There has to be some leakage someplace.

Story:
We replaced our stick house front door light bulbs with 120 volt LED versions; 3 blunt tip decorative bulbs, they are not on a dimmer. Yet after they are turned off there is a very distinctive glow.

In my previous experience with LED's in electronics, flashlights and automotive lighting; the LED's are instant on and off.

The problem, or answer, in our case is that the outdoor light is switched with a lighted switch. Even when the circuit is off, there is some current flow to operate the bulb in the switch. With incandescent bulbs the small current flow is not enough to light the bulb, but LED's are so efficient, this small current causes them to glow. We went from a 40 watt incandescent to a 5 watt LED. To correct the glowing we would need to replace the lighted switch with a non-lighted version. BTW, the lighted switch no longer glows when the circuit is off, seems the LED bulbs in series with the switch bulb does not pass enough current. But the LED's glow.

I don't know how this will affect the lifetime of the bulb.

Note: some have reported being able to remove an 120VAC LED from it's socket and it will still continue to glow for some time. This is because there is a capacitor in the electronics (in the base).
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimary View Post
I have had that problem twice. Both times it was the cord between the coach and toad. The connector had gotten water in it and shorted out inside between the toad charge wire and tail lamp circuits.
Good catch.

At 12vdc, enough current could pass to light the LED, but not trigger a fuse. Technically it is not a short, but is considered leakage. Thus the water is acting as a small resistor, something you should correct. If nothing else this is a source of corrosion (small electrical currents)
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

thanks folks

. . i googled this last nite and found lotsa folks with the same problem, on trucks, jeeps, hum vees, jaguars....
. . my problem occurs with everything off, and the rv locked up tight. the running lights continue to glow slightly.
. . i'm guessing some kind of semiconductor scr switch in the lighting circuit. i will try pulling the wires off the light switch. beyond that i'm not sure its worth the trouble to fix. if it gets irritating, i can always pull the wires off the battery. lead acid batteries are supposed to discharge themselves at about one percent a day, i think. this is probably not increasing that by much.
. . the chassis is a chevy p30 truck. if anyone knows where i can get a schematic, i would appreciate knowing.

thanks again,
bill
billw47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights