Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Does anyone know why it takes 3 LNBs to receive the local network channels on Directv? I can receive them on a 3 LNB stand alone dish but not on my single LNB roof mount crankup dish. Is it just a matter of not aiming the roof mount at the right satellite or is there more to it than that? Any comments?
Wagonmaster2
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

Does anyone know why it takes 3 LNBs to receive the local network channels on Directv? I can receive them on a 3 LNB stand alone dish but not on my single LNB roof mount crankup dish. Is it just a matter of not aiming the roof mount at the right satellite or is there more to it than that? Any comments?
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #3

DTV provides programming from 3 satellites (3 LNB's required). Most of their programming comes from their main satellite located at 101 degrees. The other other programming (locals and HD and a few lesser used channels) comes from satellites located at 110 and 119W longitude. If you re-point your antenna to one of these satellites you will be able to receive the programming on those satellites (one at a time) UNLESS you are outside the footprint of the local network programming. The 101 satellite programming is broadcast Nationwide. The local Network programming is broadcast (as you might guess) locally and is not available all over the US.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #4

Standing behind the dish, do the satellites 101, 110, and 119 read from left to right, or right to left. Just trying to figure out which one of the 3 I should be trying to sight the single LNB toward. When I did try to sight in on the locals satellite, a message on the screen kept telling me I hadn't purchased that channel. And from there I didn't know which way to move the roof dish and whether to change the elevation or not from the angle it called for with the 3 LNB dish. Like shooting fish in the dark instead of in a barrel.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-03-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
paz

The satellite numbers come from the longitude over which they appear to sit as they float in space in geo-synchronous orbit. Therefore, 119 is farther west than 101 and will be farther to the right as viewed from behind the dish.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
Does anyone know why it takes 3 LNBs to receive the local network channels on Directv? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It may have to do with which local channels (i.e., major versus small market) are on which bird. I can receive local Houston channels with our 1 LNB RV dish within about a 150-200 mile radius of Houston just as well as with the 3 LNB dish at home.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get my local Phoenix channels on my single LNB dish.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #8

If you are in the area where your local networks are being broadcast you should have no problems receiving the signal. If HamGuy is in Mesa, he will have no problems receiving the Phoenix locals. However, if HamGuy was in TX or CA where the Phoenix locals are not broadcast he will not be able to receive them no matter where he points his dish.
The local channels are broadcast on a spot-beamed signal and if you picture a focused flashlight beam hitting the Phoenix and surrounding areas you will understand why the signal is not available throughout the US.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. Since I can get the local central Oklahoma networks here north of Oklahoma City on the 3 LNB dish pointed to 196 degrees but not with the single LNB pointed in the same direction maybe I need to point it a little bit further West to hit 119. I'll play with it some more. When I first turn on the receiver it asks about the dish, do I tell it I'm using the different dishes each time I turn it on? At least it did the very first time I activated it, Maybe it won't each time so I won't have the opportunity to tell it "one LNB" or "3 LNB". Do I switch back and forth between the two type of dishes without causing unnecessary trouble or is it just logging on with the dish I intend to use? The local technician who helped a little during installation said be sure and call if I needed any further help but now he won't return my call, guess he just wanted the receiver number so he could turn it in to DTV and get paid. Didn't realize there could be so many questions about satellite TV and I can't imagine what I would have done without the great RV forums and all the smart members.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wagonmaster2:
When I first turn on the receiver it asks about the dish, do I tell it I'm using the different dishes each time I turn it on? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you're changing back and forth between dish types, the receiver needs to know that. The dish type setting can be changed under Menu &gt; Setup on my DirecTV HDTV receiver at home - don't know about your specific receiver, but maybe that's a starting point.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #11

Thanks Rusty - I'll start doing that and see if it helps when I'm using the roof single LNB. I wonder if its possible to change the roof dish on the Winegard single LNB to a Multi-Head dish. Maybe a call to Winegard would answer this.
Wagonmaster2
Old 05-05-2007, 05:50 AM   #12

Wagonmaster,
You would not be able to modify the Winegard dish to handle a multi-head dish. The multi-head dishes require the ability to skew the dish so the 3 LNB can remain aligned in different parts of the Country.
Sorry!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #13

Thanks Bill - That'll save me a call and some time. Guess I'll just have to stick with setting up the tri-pod with the 3 heads when I want the locals.
Wagonmaster2
Old 06-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi guys, If you tell the receiver that you are using a single LNB, the dish will not let you select the 110 or the 119. You have to use the three LNB setting in order to be able to get the other sat signals. Found that out today. I was messing around with the setup to see just how hard it is to set up the tripod and dish. I was able to get the three sats by using the three LNB setting on the roof single LNB. You have to move just a hare to get that 110 and 119 sats. I started with the 101. Its not as hard{for me} to set it up. Once you do it a few times, It gets simple to do it! Just be patient and take your time and it kinda comes to you. Any other problems tell us and we will try and help,ok? Later, Capt. Dan
P.S. If there is any doubt ask Bill Adams.He is the guru of the sat systems!! I f I steer someone wrong ,he will be sure to tell me!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote