Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Question Local channels on Dish Pay as You Go

I am using a Vip 211k rec. & a Winegard MP1 dish. I can receive local channels on sat. 129 at night but not during the day. Have talked to Dish Tech. service and they can't tell me why this is happening. Any one out there have any answers. There are 2 Spanish language local stations that come in all the time, but not the network stations. Dish says there must be something wrong with my equipment. It works perfect on all the other sat, channels day or night.
wegass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Do a dish alignment check and see if you can hit the bird?

I would tune to channel which should tell you the bird on the information bar. Than run a satellite alignedment check which should check and try to hit 3 satellites. it will tell you which ones it can hit.
adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
what part of the country are you in?

I absolutely cannot get 129 in the chicago area...
I use 61.5 instead.

129 comes in in western wisconsin, but not in illinois or points east.

Try selecting dish 300, actual zip code, and sat 61.5 and do a switch check.
save and do it several times if it don't find it the first time.

(note, my knowledge of these things is limited but growing. this works for me, don't know if it will work for you.)

also worth noting that I only get local channels for maybe a 100 mile radius around chicago....
Any further away, you have to call dish and give them a new address.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

local channels

I am parked in Mariposa, Ca. at present and the local channels come out of Fresno, Ca. I can only receive them at night and not in the day time. My guide shows them as being available but I get a message that says partial signal loss, or we know there is a problem and we are working on it. But when I call Dish Tech. Service they can't tell what is causing this problem. Very disappointing during the Olympics.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not knowing CA other than what I can see mapquesting the two locations, Mariposa and Fresno, my guess is that you on the fringe of reception and the atmospheric conditions are better in the evening thus allowing for you to receive all the locals. Your locals (Fresno) are coming from transponders 8 and 13 spot beam 32. KTFF and KNSO are the only two on transponder 13 the others on 8. I'm guessing but are those two stations the ones that you can receive during daylight hours? IF you look at the map in this link

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 129°W

The green ring is the area where you should have no issue with reception, the yellow being a more marginal area of coverage. Each transponder on a satellite also has slightly different power outputs to any given area which could explain you being able to receive two of your local channels at all times and the others in the evening.
hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #6

Your post makes a lot of sense. My question now is, Why couldn't Dish Tech. support have told me about this. They kept telling me it had to be something wrong with my equipment, which I knew was not the case. Dish needs to train their support people much better. It would certainly make life for their customers a lot easier. I have now left Mariposa and am heading north up the Calif. coast. I can only hope the next time I set up my dish I have better luck with the signals. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wegass, glad I could help. Yea as much as I love Dish's prices and quality their phone reps more often than should be, are less than well informed. The website that I linked to in my last post is a fantastic resource. Sign up for a free membership. You'll find maps get the latest news on what's coming next, of any ongoing issues that CSRs probably won't admit to. Also DISH provides their own people to that forum. The are referred to there as DIRT, Dish Internet Response Team. They will be listed in the users online list in red. Those people are damn sharp, and very willing to help. I can't remember the last time I actually called DISH. Now if there is an issue, or I'm trying to find out if there are any promos or customer retention discounts available, I just login there and chat with a DIRT member.
hdflsts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Thanks again for your input.

Tags
dish