Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Looking at net TV

I am looking to replace the old tube TVs in my motorhome looking at the new TVs a lot of them are available with Internet television I'm thinking this may be the new way to go any thoughts on this?

I already have a Verizon wireless card and a subscription to X Finity
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I use a ROKU for much the same effect. I have found mixed results using it on public wifi. But assuming you have good wifi, I would offer the following opinion:

1. Skip getting the TV with built in internet, and instead get a standard 'dumb' flat panel unit.
2. Take the money you saved not buying the internet TV and get a ROKU ($80)
3. Take the REST of the money you saved and invest in popcorn and a $8/mo subscription to Netflix.

The advantage is that the ROKU will be easily updatable, resellable if you want a newer unit, etc. PLUS you can carry it into the house, over to a friend's place, or anywhere and use it with any TV.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please do not.. Bandwidth for internet television comes in 3 flavors.

1: Park wi-fi, (What I use just now) If you are the only one using it, GO 4 IT but if you are sharing with a hundred others you might become popular... With the baseball bat and rock comittee. Or you might get throttled if the park has the stuff to do that.

Bring your own unlimited. Truly unlimited plans are EXPENSIVE, and I mean EXPENSIVE. Many "unlimited" plans are unlimited on paper but in reality there are unpublished limites, (And a few court cases over them).

Some "unlimited" plans, well you can download as much as you like but only the fiurst X Gigs will be "high speed" After that "Rebuffering" will become .. Far too common, as a one hour show takes 5 hours to stream.

And limited plans.. Well the overage charges can be a killer.

That said.

The OCCASIONAL show, on a park with low occupancy or your own 4G service... Is kind of nice.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Great Advice from both of the responders. Streaming movies will eat up your data in a hurry. Unless you have unlimited I wouldnt recommend it on your wireless card.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Many "unlimited" plans are unlimited on paper but in reality there are unpublished limites,
Even Millenicom's 3G/4G Unlimited plan (which is on the Sprint network) has an effective 50GB per month limit (you have to read the fine print). I have no idea how many movies and hour-long TV shows you can stream for 50GB, but I would guess that it could quickly eat through that limit.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #6

If you go into your settings on the Netflix webpage, you can adjust your bandwidth settings. I think thier highest setting is huge - 3.8GB per hour. But you have to couple that with speed - which you'd never get on wireless - I think even 4G would choke on that. They have several lower bandwidth limits to choose from too. The player will still make adjustments for current line conditions, but the limits you set on your account will be the max it will do.

I've decided not to Netflix on my Millenicom Hotspot - I get 20GB on Verizon with them. The youtubes eat up enough of that as it is.

Some of these new TV's (and certain DVD/Bluray players) will read a USB hard drive and play movies you archive on there. That's a good way to go if you know how to do it - I have quite a library.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

Thank you all for your replies and opinions.

Talking to a friend who is in the Phone/internet/entertainment system business tells me everything is moving toward Net TV.

I have a Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4620LE

Set Your Location

And you can purchase month by month so it is great for those occasional trips.

Not full time here.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Talking to a friend who is in the Phone/internet/entertainment system business tells me everything is moving toward Net TV.
I would think that both DISH and DirecTV would have something to say about that not to mention all the cable companies that offer TV programming!

And if, for some unfathomable reason, everything changed over to Net TV, that would be the death of watching TV for those of us whose Internet access is with a cellular modem that have monthly limits on how much data you can use!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Possibly for home, stationary locations, still not convinced the extra expense is worth it. Between Dish Net and Amazon on PS3 I have more content than I can handle.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #10

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies and opinions.

I have a Verizon Jetpack™ 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot MiFi® 4620LE

Set Your Location

And you can purchase month by month so it is great for those occasional trips.

Not full time here.
Everyone giving good advise here.
Great that you have 4G LTE, just hope you can get it at most RV parks as they are sometimes out of town where 4G does not get to. 4G in general is mostly avialable in larger cities at best and not remote areas.
As others have advised, Park WiFi is usually not fast enough to support streaming TV and many are now limiting bandwidth/download capacity via your usage from your devices MAC addy. IE. you go over alloted MB/GB, you are shut off, I know from experience. I carry 2 extra WiFi radios to get around this, that way I have 3 separate MAC addy's (not counting my HotSpot and Phone) in the event one gets restricted.
If you really want to go to NET Tv, then you should consider a roof mounted Sat. antenna for your Internet connection. Then pick your provider and plan. Hughes Net restricts speed if you download too much in a prescribed plan. Here is a link to Mobile direct Internet plans to compare after you purchase you roof top mount antenna. Monthly Service Price | Mobil Satellite Technologies .

Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
... many are now limiting bandwidth/download capacity via your usage from your devices MAC addy. IE. you go over alloted MB/GB, you are shut off, I know from experience. I carry 2 extra WiFi radios to get around this, that way I have 3 separate MAC addy's (not counting my HotSpot and Phone) in the event one gets restricted.
As a side note, many devices allow you to change the mac address to an arbitrary number. You just have to make sure you don't inadvertently use one that is already in use on the local network. Easy to do. The first numbers of the mac indicate the manufacturer of the device (or the network adapter).
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #12

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
As a side note, many devices allow you to change the mac address to an arbitrary number. You just have to make sure you don't inadvertently use one that is already in use on the local network. Easy to do. The first numbers of the mac indicate the manufacturer of the device (or the network adapter).
As a side note, so others that are not familiar with MAC (Media Access Control) addresses, many NIC (Network Interface Card) cards do not allow the MAC addy to be changed or cloned, but can be spoofed through the OS. In windows the easiest way is via the registry or the devices property, but many users are not familiar with this and should not be making registry changes. There are programs avialable to do this. A nice tool I have used to do this is SMAC MAC Address Changer.
To quickly check your MAC addy, go to Run, type CMD, then type ipconfig /all .
I have just found it much easier and faster and safer to just change to another NIC to override any filtering from the router.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Everyone giving good advise here.
Great that you have 4G LTE, just hope you can get it at most RV parks as they are sometimes out of town where 4G does not get to. 4G in general is mostly avialable in larger cities at best and not remote areas.
As others have advised, Park WiFi is usually not fast enough to support streaming TV and many are now limiting bandwidth/download capacity via your usage from your devices MAC addy. IE. you go over alloted MB/GB, you are shut off, I know from experience. I carry 2 extra WiFi radios to get around this, that way I have 3 separate MAC addy's (not counting my HotSpot and Phone) in the event one gets restricted.
If you really want to go to NET Tv, then you should consider a roof mounted Sat. antenna for your Internet connection. Then pick your provider and plan. Hughes Net restricts speed if you download too much in a prescribed plan. Here is a link to Mobile direct Internet plans to compare after you purchase you roof top mount antenna. Monthly Service Price | Mobil Satellite Technologies .

Let us know how it works out for you.
I do have a roof mounted Satellite Dish, I don't know if it will have to be reprogrammed it is a KVH Tracvision TR-R4 2006 model

Thank you for the advice I will look in to this.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #14

Justroamer and others who are playing around with their mac address: I could care less what you do with your own internet account but when you stream movies via CG WiFi you are showing a complete disregard for your fellow campers. Downright rude and other words that I will not use in a forum! CG owners should evict anyone who who hogs the bandwidth. Why should I suffer because you want to stream a movie? Too many people that never think of others! If you want to stream movies and TV then get a dozen Millenium cards or 6 unlimited cell phones and go for it!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote