Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Looking For a Reliable Laptop

I hope that this does not start a brand war but I am in need of a good laptop for around $600 or less if that's possible. I prefer Windows OS, wifi etc. I will use it mainly to surf the net and watch videos via YouTube, Netflix or whatever. Touch Screen is not a necessity.
Thanks.
Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

You can get a nice Asus with a large HD screen for less than $600 at Best Buy. I have a smaller version with the wifi and windows, it operates great and I have had little problems. For my more important laptop at work I have a Lenovo, but that is far more than $600 and more computer than you need.
halla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Asus makes a lot of what goes into other brand computers. I have had one for three years and not had one problem.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Wallmart was many good and lower quality units for about best price.

Toshiba and gateway units are good as well as hp and others.

Christmass is soon so many sales comming.

Also look under the counters for the odd ones as often unsold older stock is placed there and no display due to newer models.

Often deep discounted.

Also have a smart phone to use so you can check price and reviews while looking.

Wallmart price matches...
Old 10-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
Community Moderator

i have been in data processing profession during my entire career prior to retirement. i have owned toshiba, dell and hp, all had hardware problems and dyed within 3 years of purchase. the last one i bought was a thinkpad 8 years ago. at this moment it still runs flawlessly. go with a thinkpad, you can't go wrong.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Asus is a good brand but whatever you do, look carefully to the laptop keyboard layout. Asus as one example has a very small shift key on at least one side. You end up getting the wrong thing time and time again (IRC it is the caps lock you tend to hit).

Most common brands these days. Lenovo (tend to be $$$), HP, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, Dell.

If I had to choose one, it would probably be a Lenovo but I did just recently buy an HP for the DW which seems to be performing pretty good so far.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have owned 3 Toshiba Satellite laptops over the years. My reason for 3 was just upgrading the technology. I found the Toshiba to not have as intrusive proprietary software as other brands I have owned. You'll find prices at Best Buy starting at $249 on up to $1000 and you choose what you want and how much you will pay for their stock. I like their 15.6" screen or their 17" screen. Presently I have the 15.6 and it does fine sitting in my lap. Do consider if you put a PC laptop in your lap that the ventilation is typically on the bottom, so I use an inverted food tray to set it on, which keeps the air circulating nicely.

To get some ideas and pricing, go to Best Buy web site, click on computers/laptops, filter by Toshiba or whatever brand you are interested in, and see what's on the market. Personally, if I were in the market for another laptop PC I would go with Toshiba.

As far as problems, I replaced a hard drive once and it was a simple process. I had a good back-up, very important to back up your systems.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This is my recommendation: I am an IT Systems Engineer and have been in IT for over 16 years.

The simple answer to your quest for a reliable laptop is: buy a Mac. There is nothing more reliable that a Mac or iPad. They are easy to use and are no where near as affected by virus's or malware. Again I am an IT professional and could own any flavor of Windows based laptop on the market and could fix in my sleep if the need ever arises, but I choose to own Mac systems. This is because I never have to worry about fixing them, they just simply work all the time. Mac's also don't get slower over time like every Windows system out there does.

I personally own an iMac 27" desktop, a MacBook Pro, and an iPad 2.

My recommendation if money is not part of the equation, buy a new MacBook Pro. If you are trying to save some money I would look on eBay for a used MacBook pro with the i5 processor and at least 8gb of memory and you can't go wrong.
2014 Polaris Scrambler XP 850
Bobby.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would NEVER buy another HP! I bought a HP G62 notebook from Best Buy a few years ago and it has been nothing but trouble! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #10

I bought a Chromebook from Amazon a few months ago. $179.
An interesting device. Would seem to handle all of the needs you described in your post. Excellent built in anti- virus program.

Might be worth a look.
ed6713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was waiting for someone to give a shout out on the macbook pro. Both my daughters have had them for years. As I went through a few windows based laptops, Dell, HP, Fugitsu their macs kept running. DW bought me one a couple years ago and I will never ever go back. Battery life is solid today as when I bought it. No carring around cord all the time. No virus, and all the pop up stuff with windows. The darn thing just works.....all the time. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have owned 3 Toshiba Satellite laptops over the years. My reason for 3 was just upgrading the technology. I found the Toshiba to not have as intrusive proprietary software as other brands I have owned. You'll find prices at Best Buy starting at $249 on up to $1000 and you choose what you want and how much you will pay for their stock. I like their 15.6" screen or their 17" screen. Presently I have the 15.6 and it does fine sitting in my lap. Do consider if you put a PC laptop in your lap that the ventilation is typically on the bottom, so I use an inverted food tray to set it on, which keeps the air circulating nicely.

To get some ideas and pricing, go to Best Buy web site, click on computers/laptops, filter by Toshiba or whatever brand you are interested in, and see what's on the market. Personally, if I were in the market for another laptop PC I would go with Toshiba.

As far as problems, I replaced a hard drive once and it was a simple process. I had a good back-up, very important to back up your systems.
===========
Okay! I left off the MAC's because the original poster said he preferred a Windows machine. So saying that, I presently own iMac-24, MacMini, MacBook Pro, iPad (1st gen), iPad (4thGen) iPhone6, iphone 5s (DW), AppleTV (1st Gen), Apple TV (hockey puck), and I'm thinking of upgrading the iMac24 to an iMac27, but only because they don't make the 24 anymore. I still have the Toshiba but I have not operated it for a year. Time to update it.

Yes, they are a little more costly but in the long term, and as stated, they have way less problems that Window's machines. I have updated my iMac24 to the present "Yosemite" software that just came out, and I'm doing that on the MacBook Pro as we speak. Guess what, it's free. Time before this was $29 or $39 for upgrade. "Most" of the programs are much cheaper than Windows software.

Those are some pro's and con's but whatever you buy it will be suited for you. Window's user's prefer Windows platforms, and MAC user's are just MAC users. Both have problems but the MAC platform seems to have the least.

Whatever you get will be outdated, at most, in 3 years. Bigger and better will be available.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

I work in an IT Dept and we are an HP laptop type company .... but at home the only laptop I will buy...TOSHIBA. I tend to buy the Toshiba Satellite models for my wife and I...When Best Buy has special back to school or Xmas sales....I will gather the Intel I3 or I5 CPU type models and they all come with enough features to make me smile. Occasionally I will shop for an upgraded battery to get a longer lasting charge.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Thanks to all of you. You have given me my homework for sure.
Bill