Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Looking for Dish network Sat meter

I've been looking for a meter that will show signal strength and lock on Dish Western Arc 110, 119, 129 sats.
Any suggestions that won't go north of ~300? It's very confusing looking at what's out there.
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

Lots of info on web and how to set without meter, go to dishpointer.com for angles and direction and fine tune by hand. Have found most meters not that helpful
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

looking for Dish network Sat meter

With a little practice/patience you can get by for under $30. Get the App DishForMyRV and an inexpensive in line signal meter. The App only shows Dish Birds using input from the Dish satellites, no cell phone or internet signal required. It uses your phone camera to show the satellite locations superimposed on the phone camera’s picture and then the inline meter will show signal strength just tweak your antenna until the meter max’s out, then set the meter back to zero and tweak till max. You might have to do this a couple of times to fine tune. Your receiver will show which satellites you are locked on. If you are using a dome type antenna it will automatically lock on to the satellites that show up in open sky on the App
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Still,, no one answered his questions. I find using the Hopper 3, dish signal a very real pain. As it has a very slow update.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used one of those cheap $13 meters to aim/peak my dish antenna. The key was to cover the two outer LNBs so only the center LNB was exposed. Select Sat 119 on the receiver "antenna Aiming" page and aim the antenna toward 119.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

I've since changed over to Orby. It uses only one satellite (116.8) .. I use the little squak meter to rough aim it, then tweek it with a little wifi receiver thing that Orby recommends.

Orby Satellite TV – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #6

For under $300?

A used Super Sat Buddy.

Otherwise, a new one is over $700.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks, I looked at a couple of those. Looked a tad rough. I just found the Sat look lite meter is available again in the US. I may pick up one of those. It will identify and lock on specific SATs.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I don't use my carry out dome, I use a tripod antenna with hybrid.

You would be surprised how fast you get at aiming after you do this a few times. A few times at places we frequent, I would lock on the first try. I would have a landmark to aim at that helped.

The tone Dish generate helps if the wife is not there to read me the numbers. Basically I don't mess with the elevation, and only sweep the azimuth until I hear a tone, then fine tune from there.

The key is to have the tripod set to perfect bubble level.

I have found the signal meters too expensive for the occasional use it would get.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
On your Android or Apple phone, in the Phone store, buy an app called DISH Pointer Pro. This uses the GPS in your phone and camera to show the location of the satellites in the sky and the trees on the way. With this app, and a 6" magnetic level, it is pretty easy to set up the Dish antenna. On line you can get the elevation and skew setting for the antenna for your location. Make sure that the vertical mounting post is absolutely plumb or as you swing the antenna, it will not track the proper angle to see the satellites.

Even with the $300 meter, you still need the app.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Birddog works well. You can find them on ebay reasonable
Old 02-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I use a Tracker Light meter to set up lots of folks dish antennas. It works quite well. Maybe a bit pricy but it sure gets the job done.

A lot of simple satellite meters just tell you that you have a signal but not from which satellite. I never found one that was very useful to me so spent the dollars for a Tracker Light.

They are also over the place. Here is one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orbital-Tra...cAAOSwc7teSad-
Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
This one came as part of my Orby self Install. I know it works great for the Orby (116.8), I suspect it would also work for Dish or Direct TV, but I've never tried it with those.

https://www.amazon.com/GT-MEDIA-Sat-.../dp/B07YDF9HJJ

When I aim my Orby, I use my little squak meter to find the strong satellite at 117. I then move the antenna just a tiny bit to the left and BAM, 116.8 pops in on the V8-Finder. I then tweek the antenna for max signal and quality.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:01 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
This just this week became available again. They have been unavailable for a couple of months. It will lock on any sat you choose. for me it's 110, 119, 129.

prod_satlook_lite
Old 02-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Now for a little more - Using a Hopper 3, requires the latest LNB. This LNB requires a higher current. So, aiming a Sat Antenna - really changes due to the type of Receiver & LNB you have. Those of you who do the aiming manually, should state your Receiver and the LNB you are using
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish