Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

Looking for simplistic answers to WiFi and Phone hotspots

Without spending a fortune, do you have any suggestions for satellite TV, besides Dish and Direct TV?

Thanks
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #2

If you have internet service via MiFi etc then you can use ROKU or Fire Stick and others to stream to you tv. We have ROKU and because we have Amazon Prime we get their streaming service also. We watch 5-10 movies a week. We paid for PBS streaming. We like many programs on PBS. Bought Hallmark, but we will probably drop it.

We also have DirecTV and are considering dropping it. Most of or travel is just in Indiana and our rallies are usually within a major over the air tv broadcast area. So we are not sure we still need DirecTV.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #3

I'm running an older WiFi Ranger GO indoor router that can pick up park wifi, when available, and also switch to a cell hotspot when there are bandwidth or connection issues. My hotspot is an extra cell phone that I leave in the RV, always on a charger next to the router.

My router cost about $100-150 when new, my phone was an extra one we had in a drawer. I use Google Fi as a cell provider, and pay $25+$15+$15 for putting my phone, wife's phone and the RV phone on the plan. Data is charged only for what we consume at $10/Gig, with a cost cap at 12Gig. After that, the data is no-cost, but supposedly throttled back to a lower speed. Even beyond the data cap, we have never had issues streaming movies.

We have streaming accounts with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime at home. These are available while traveling at no additional cost. We also have a Wineguard antenna on the RV roof for getting local TV channels, when available.

So, for a big month traveling and streaming movies, we pay $55 for our phones and $120 max for our data.

Good luck on your choices.
Karl
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, wifi