Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

Looking to buy a good Gps that I can put put data in for moterhome and is easy to use

Looking for a good GPS
mike78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! We are still using an old Rand McNally RVND7710 that we bought several years ago. They have had several later versions of it since then.

Lots of folks use the Garmin RV GPS. If I were buying a new one that's probably what I would buy. Garmin has a great reputation!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin RV760LMT or RV770 (LMT = Lifetime maps and Traffic as well as software updates)
I have had multiple Garmins over the years that have served me well...

One of my 760's has the backup camera option and is in the jeep toad .
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Thank you
Old 11-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

So I should buy a tablet not just the gps??
Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If you are in need of a tablet and want to use it for GPS,
be sure and get the type of software that will still function if no connection...

some of the newer generation use just their phones, but get out of cell service and lost is around the next corner
Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another vote for the Garmin RV760LMT. I've been using it for two years and it hasn't steered me wrong, yet! The RV770LMT has replaced it and works well, but some have reported issues uploading routes from BaseCamp. Both units let you enter length, width, height and weight of the motor home for routing. It will take bridges, tunnels, etc into consideration on height, but it doesn't track low hanging trees.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

Don't need a tablet but want to put or make my route can I do that with a GPS ??
Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

I am also evaluating RV type GPS options and leaning towards Garmin based on other comments here on iRV2. Still haven't figured out all the differences between the 660 and 760 / 770...still digging. STopped at the Garmin location in Yarmouth Me recently but turned out it was Sat and they were closed - was hoping to get some first hand knowledge and question answered but will have to do it via phone I guess.

I may be wrong but am under the impression that none of the tablet apps will allow routing based on MH height / wt restrictions and would need a RV or trucker GPS to do that.
I have used Copilot - a trucker laptop software - in the past but was not impressed with it... not particularly user friendly vs something like MS Streets & Trips (which I hear is no longer in production) or a RV GPS.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Don't need a tablet but want to put or make my route can I do that with a GPS ??
If you want to create your route then import into your GPS take a good look at Trip Wizard. You can use TW as a stand alone or as a GPS over lay.
https://www.rvtripwizard.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
You can do limited routing on a GPS buy using waypoints and avoids. However, I usually find that my Garmin 760 does a good job of keeping me on the good roads and the fastest route to where I want to go.

All GPSs are subject to routing based on how you set your preferences. Don't pick shortest as you are likely to end up on some questionable roads. Fastest will keep you on roads rated for motorhomes as much as possible. Motorhome and truck type GPSs will keep you away from low bridges and tunnels as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I used to be into completely planning the routes and found right away that we have a tendency to "wing it" so we plan with the idea that we may change it...

Our GPS figures out the best way to go to the next location

initially I will lay it out with Good Sam's trip planner --> http://trips.goodsamclub.com/
but know it's just an idea to start...
Old 11-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #13

Thank you
Old 11-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #14

We use a "regular" Garmin GPS and it has worked well for us. We've had a couple of Garmin's and have been happy with both. Currently we use a Garmin nüvi 2797LMT.
Whatever you decide to get go with the 7" screen.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps