Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2021, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The T-Mobile $50/100 GB plan terms say that video is limited to 480p. On some premium plans this can be increased but probably not this one, else they'd say it. But usually a video throttle can be bypassed by using a VPN.

Regarding the account verification, what hotspot are you using? Most all of them can receive the SMS message with the account verification info, although you'll need to log onto the admin web page to view it. Failing that you can temporarily place the SIM in a phone and receive the message that way.
I used to have IP Vanish but netflix and similar services block the use of those so I deactivated that service.

I'm using a wifi-ranger Everest. The sim card in my everest is a full sized and I only have an iphone 7 which uses the smaller ones.
jasondietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondietz View Post
I used to have IP Vanish but netflix and similar services block the use of those so I deactivated that service.

I'm using a wifi-ranger Everest. The sim card in my everest is a full sized and I only have an iphone 7 which uses the smaller ones.
Many VPNs will be detected and blocked by streaming services but some VPN providers use technology to try to avoid this. I find that NordVPN seems to work well most of the time.

You might want to swap your standard SIM for a micro-SIM (and use an adapter in the WiFi Ranger.) That way you will be able to easily swap the SIM to other devices in an emergency.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Many VPNs will be detected and blocked by streaming services but some VPN providers use technology to try to avoid this.
I don't think there's much "technology" involved other than having enough changing IP addresses to win the cat and mouse game.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
I don't think there's much "technology" involved other than having enough changing IP addresses to win the cat and mouse game.
There always has to be the semantics guy The process of automated frequent IP address changes is a technology, or at least the majority of other providers don't seem to support it. Whatever you want to call the rose, I can now access Netflix via a VPN without problems.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Many VPNs will be detected and blocked by streaming services but some VPN providers use technology to try to avoid this. I find that NordVPN seems to work well most of the time.

You might want to swap your standard SIM for a micro-SIM (and use an adapter in the WiFi Ranger.) That way you will be able to easily swap the SIM to other devices in an emergency.
Thanks for the info. It looks like some of the vpn services are now stating they work with the services I had issues with prior so I may give it another shot. Express vpn seems fit my needs the most.

As for the swapping the sim cards around, I suppose I could do that. I hate breaking that water tight seal on the roof mounted Everest as I've had issues before with moisture causing a short but that's a separate issue for a different thread.
jasondietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #34

Those of you with the AT&T $55/100GB SIMs, what APN are you using?

And, what speeds are you getting? My Peplink UBR will only connect to AT&T at 3G.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Those of you with the AT&T $55/100GB SIMs, what APN are you using?

And, what speeds are you getting? My Peplink UBR will only connect to AT&T at 3G.
APN is broadband.

I got a good LTE-A connection on my Pepwave MAX BK1 MK2. Speed about 50 Mbps. I only tried it a couple of times, briefly to make sure it works and it certainly did. My month has expired now but I'll refill for our next trip.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #36

Thanks! I'll try that again.

Quote:
APN is broadband.

I got a good LTE-A connection on my Pepwave MAX BK1 MK2. Speed about 50 Mbps. I only tried it a couple of times, briefly to make sure it works and it certainly did. My month has expired now but I'll refill for our next trip.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #37

Thanks to tetranz for verifying the correct APN.

GACK! What an experience...

Wednesday morning I was first in line at the AT&T store. It took a while to get across the "sales" guy what I wanted, (I thought) but I walked out with a SIM. Got home and checked prepaid online and found out I'd been sold a $75/month postpaid unlimited On-Star plan. Called customer service and cancelled that.

Went back, turned the unused SIM in, and got another sales guy who knew what I wanted, and sold it to me.

I tried it in my Peplink UBR LTE. It would only connect on 3g with APN NXTGENPHONE. I went BACK to the store, and neither mouth-breather working there THAT time had even heard of an APN.

Called ATT tech support, she said the APN was "ATT Broadband". BZZZT wrong... I've never seen an APN with a space in it.

Somewhere in here I retrieved the Google Fi SIM from the WiFI Ranger Denali on top of the motorhome, installed it in the second SIM card position, and proved to myself that the Peplink worked.

Thursday AM, I called Simetry tech support. (I bought the UBR from them. They have a 10% off coupon code.) Brad was very helpful, got me set up on InControl web interface, and told me the APN was "broadband". That didn't work.

Just a little bit ago, I got off the phone with AT&T second tier tech support. After an hour and a quarter, Julio did some magic on their system that got the AT&T side of the UBR to connect on 4G! Woohoo!

Now to figure out SpeedFusion bonding...
Old 07-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
GACK! What an experience...
Yeah that sure sounds painful.

I suggest anyone wanting to get this plan try to do it online here:

https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html

That form didn't recognize my Pepwave's IMEI but it does now so I think it has a reasonable chance of success. Although ... I'm not sure if it would have helped with whatever Julio fixed.

Did you setup auto-pay? If not then according to this you need a PIN to refill. https://www.att.com/support/article/...unt/KM1008656/ You can only get that by receiving a SMS message on the device. I didn't do auto-pay because I don't necessarily want it every month. I got the PIN by temporarily putting the SIM in a phone.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah that sure sounds painful.

I suggest anyone wanting to get this plan try to do it online here:

https://www.att.com/prepaid/activations/#/activate.html

That form didn't recognize my Pepwave's IMEI but it does now so I think it has a reasonable chance of success. Although ... I'm not sure if it would have helped with whatever Julio fixed.

Did you setup auto-pay? If not then according to this you need a PIN to refill. https://www.att.com/support/article/...unt/KM1008656/ You can only get that by receiving a SMS message on the device. I didn't do auto-pay because I don't necessarily want it every month. I got the PIN by temporarily putting the SIM in a phone.

On my Transit Duo I can get SMS under Advanced-->Sim Toolkit
Old 07-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaadverse View Post
On my Transit Duo I can get SMS under Advanced-->Sim Toolkit
Yeah my MAX BR1 MK2 has that too but it never receives anything. I don't know why. The device works fine otherwise so I don't think it's faulty.