Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
MagicJack ..... ??

Hey guys .. a little help here!

I just got a MagicJack (MJ) using credit card points.

I am getting mixed results using VOIP on the MJ. When I make a call the person on the other end of the line was telling me in a very clear and complete voice (inbound) that they were only hearing every other word that I was sending (outbound). I made a local call to my son on his cell and he was telling me the same thing.

I am using a cable modem having upgraded from DSL so I don't know if the cable connection is fast enough but it is faster than DSL.

It was my intention to use the MJ and get rid of my copper line. So far I still have my copper line in commission and I have unplugged the MJ.

What is your advice, experience using VOIP with a MJ?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
We have MJ and it now works well. We had issues with the speed of the Internet at the house. Use VOIP TEST to test your connection speed. The resulting display will show any problems. We found our Internet was too slow and it was dropping data packets. The line to the house was bad.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Heartland RV Club
I have a friend in Iceland that has a Magic Jack Plus ,he had the regular version but upgraded to the plus ,it doesn't need a computer. Hooks into the router. He calls every few days with no problem. He uses Dsl.
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Can you help me interpret this result? Thanks ... Looks like it's not going to work, not sure why ....
·
·
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOIP.PNG
Views:	136
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	22377  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
I have a friend in Iceland that has a Magic Jack Plus ,he had the regular version but upgraded to the plus ,it doesn't need a computer. Hooks into the router. He calls every few days with no problem. He uses DSL.
Hooks into the router ??? How is that connection made? I have a USB port on my Cradlepoint 1000 but it seems that VOIP devices are not supported.

I am also wondering another thing ... I am using a wireless connection from a laptop to the router. (802.11g) The MJ is connected into the laptop. Does it matter whether or not the laptop has to be connected via (copper) RJ45?

I have a second laptop with 802.11n. Do you think it would work better in the 2nd laptop?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
The MJ+ allows you to power it from an USB adapter plugged into an AC outlet. That method requires an Ethernet cable connection to it, usually from a router port. Alternately it can be connected to an USB port, without an Ethernet cable, like the 1st version MJ.

The high jitter value is because your router is performing other tasks (web surfing?) while trying to pass voice. Your router may have a quality of service setting (QoS) that can be used to prioritize it to pass voice first. Depending on the router, the QoS setting options may be a checkbox for VOIP use.

From MJ FAQ: A minimum upload speed of 128kbs is needed.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Hey guys .. a little help here!

I just got a MagicJack (MJ) using credit card points.

I am getting mixed results using VOIP on the MJ. When I make a call the person on the other end of the line was telling me in a very clear and complete voice (inbound) that they were only hearing every other word that I was sending (outbound). I made a local call to my son on his cell and he was telling me the same thing.

I am using a cable modem having upgraded from DSL so I don't know if the cable connection is fast enough but it is faster than DSL.

It was my intention to use the MJ and get rid of my copper line. So far I still have my copper line in commission and I have unplugged the MJ.

What is your advice, experience using VOIP with a MJ?
Which MagicJack version do you have? The older design plugged into the computer USB port and depended on the computer to work. The newer one does not require a computer, but costs more in monthly fees.

I have the older version and it works very well on the cable modem speed. But the computer makes a big difference. If the computer is older/slower or the computer is busy doing some heavy processing, the voice quality on the magic jack will suffer.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

The magicJack is our only "house phone." Try using the different settings, top left corner. We run our magicJack all over the place and with several different computers in the USA and Mexico. Ours can sometimes send faxes. This computer is a Mac. It rejects the magicJack about every 6 weeks which makes it necessary to restart the mJ. The PC doesn't do that.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
Mike, I have no solution to your problem, but I made this observation the other day when we spoke via phone, the connection was not that good. Your voice was pretty choppy and I was guessing at some of what you said. Hope you get it worked out. I have talked to several who use the MagicJack system and find it very effective (and low cost!!!)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
We have MJ and it now works well. We had issues with the speed of the Internet at the house. Use VOIP TEST to test your connection speed. The resulting display will show any problems. We found our Internet was too slow and it was dropping data packets. The line to the house was bad.
Bob,
Your link to the 'voip test' doesn't seem to work for me. Has it changed or is no longer available?
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
DriVer: Well, it's back to the PRC 7 thru 25 or the Angry 19 for you. LOL

Kerry

PS: For some of us nothing is free.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Bob,
Your link to the 'voip test' doesn't seem to work for me. Has it changed or is no longer available?
GWinger
Try this one

VOIP Speed Test
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #13

I have tried the MJ and it was one of the most useless POS anyone ever came up with. People begged me not to call them using it. It is laying in my electronic junk box right now. There is no free lunch.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
oops- the link should have been VOIP TEST. It works fine.