Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2022, 06:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
MapleWifi internet for RV’ers-any good?

Anyone trying out the MapleWifi internet here in Canada or the USA yet. Advertisement show it to be a great option for unlimited internet while travelling in most of the provinces especially to be able to stream TV.
I was thinking of giving it a try.
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2022, 06:46 AM   #2

Yea that's why I'm using currently. Works well on TELUS LTE at the moment. Getting about 50Mbps but it varies depending on where you are.
seaotter1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:22 AM   #3

Dissapointed

I ordered and paid for device three weeks ago. The email responses from support was quick when I was inquiring about purchasing. Now three weeks later they will not respond to my inquiries. Eventually they send fedex tracking data that shows a label has been created. 4 days later it still shows only that a label has been created. ( coming from Sacramento CA ).
I want this to work but Im close to demanding refund.
Weewilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #4

Forget those little mickey mouse outfits. They are a reseller. There is no free lunch. Very difficult for a Canadian to get enough data for streaming. Unless you want to pay hundreds every month.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree this is expensive but if a person wants to travel in canada in a RV and stream TV then there are no other options out there that i can find. Plus this device is showing service in USA as well so that is a bonus.
My shaw dish on my roof is no longer working and needs to be replaced. I pay $100cdn a month for the package I have so that will go a long way towards paying for the Maplewifi. Plus i have data plan in usa and in mexico so i should be able to cancel the usa data plan or at least reduce it down.
I do not like that they only give a 7 day money back guarantee. That does not allow much time to try it out but i hope to give a try in early April and have it shipped to Laredo, Tx then driving up to Ontario so will have a good chance for a trial in the usa.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Been looking at it but haven’t bought yet. Really interested in other’s experiences as well.
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #7

Would love to hear any updates from Canadians using this service on how it's performed for you travelling across Canada in your RVs?

Also if any snowbirds used down in the USA, how did it perform where you were and which towers was it using. Verizon? At&t? T-Mobile? Etc?

Thanks. SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #8

You are wasting your time. Welcome to Canada where competition for wireless does not exist. We have some of the most expensive data plans in the world. Maple is some little mickey mouse reseller, Did you see the reviews on reddit? Horrible. There are some services in the USA that would be fine. But they do not work in Canada. If you want to stream then true unlimited is the only answer. We do not have that in Canada.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:39 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
If you want to stream then true unlimited is the only answer. We do not have that in Canada.
Very few have it in the USA either. It is generally unavailable. Only a few grandfathered accounts have true unlimited data.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Starlink now has their mobile version and it seems to be ok from some inital postings. It is a true unlimited so that could be the answer. I did not go ahead with the Maplewifi due to the negative comments.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:43 PM   #11

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weewilie View Post
I ordered and paid for device three weeks ago. The email responses from support was quick when I was inquiring about purchasing. Now three weeks later they will not respond to my inquiries. Eventually they send fedex tracking data that shows a label has been created. 4 days later it still shows only that a label has been created. ( coming from Sacramento CA ).
I want this to work but Im close to demanding refund.

I received unit only days after asking for refund.
I have been on a 2 week road trip. ( Vancouver to So Cal) It has been working fine as long as ATT service is good.
The hot spot is an ATT box. Peeled off Maple Wifi sticker. There is an ATT label. It does seem to slow down once and a while. Cant tell if Im being throttled or just bad ATT signal. If truly unlimited and no throttling Ill keep as is.
If it is limited Ill just add to my present ATT account. But so far so good I would say.
Weewilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #12

I use MapleWifi since last summer and it’s been working great. It’s the only company that I’ve found that was offering real Unlimited Mobile Data in Canada without any throttling after a certain use of data. I've found on another forum a coupon to save 30$ on subscription if it can help. Promo code : SJI-CBY-679
NomaDTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #13

Maple WiFi__Don't waste your money

Don't waste the big expensive layout.

The IP Address is always a USA location and therefore, you can't get much Canadian streaming content. They use a USA IP address to create a scam and make you appear to the Canadian ISPs that you are a roaming USA customer. Streaming services like Rogers Ignite will block you.

3 things to consider that people don't realize. Everyone knows about signal strength, but bandwidth and latency are equally important. Latency is how long do you have to wait for your signal to get routed and since you are getting bounced around USA cities with MapleWifi, the latency is usually 20 times slower than your home internet. It is as slow as the old dial-up days and a lot of software and streaming services will not perform well, if at all.

Not much bandwidth either. Connect more than one device and streaming starts to pause for buffering and causes interruptions.

I can see why their money-back guarantee is only seven days. It takes them a week to deliver it and they charge you $5 a day while you wait. I got ripped off. Don't let it happen to you.
bbgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your posting. Good to know.

Tags
internet, wifi