Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Micro-soft Streets & Trips

Just bought S&T 2013. Had S&T 2011 with GPS. Used it mostly for Armchair navigation/dreaming.

In the MH I use the Rand McNally software on my ipad for traveling.

Thought I would upgrade with 2013. Waste of money I think. Does nothing my 2011 didn't do, except interface with Garmin which I don't have.

Maybe 10 gallons of fuel wasted.

Just passing on my opinion.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:03 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Just bought S&T 2013. Had S&T 2011 with GPS. Used it mostly for Armchair navigation/dreaming.

In the MH I use the Rand McNally software on my ipad for traveling.

Thought I would upgrade with 2013. Waste of money I think. Does nothing my 2011 didn't do, except interface with Garmin which I don't have.

Maybe 10 gallons of fuel wasted.

Just passing on my opinion.
For your use: "Armchair navigation/dreaming" the 2011 version is probably fine, but for real traveling down the road, I want/use the latest version.

During certain times of the year, it is on sale, dirt cheap. When it is on sale a member here usually posts about it.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
Thought I would upgrade with 2013. Waste of money I think. Does nothing my 2011 didn't do, except interface with Garmin which I don't have. .
(Some clipped)

interesting.. When my daughter gave me her laptop and said "It is yours if you can get it working" (took me about 15 minutes). I downloaded a trial run of 2011.. MS wanted over 100 dollars to register it.. But I downloaded and tried it.

Then that summer, just before the trial ran out I found 2013 WITH Gps dongle in a local (Well local in the summer) Store for all of $67 dollars.. I grabbed the store's last copy.

First thing I found it a much nicer route to where I am right now.. I really liked that path, way better than the one 2011 had given me.

Of course there are other things not as nice. but the program works well for me.

What do I use now.. Depends, In the RV, S&T 2013 with dongle
IN the car, Google maps on my phone.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #4

Agreed. I see nothing different between 2011 and 2013 version other than I think is is harder to use with the new toolbar. I still use 2011 also.

When is the 2014 coming out?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Agreed. I see nothing different between 2011 and 2013 version other than I think is is harder to use with the new toolbar. I still use 2011 also.

When is the 2014 coming out?
the following are approximate release dates of a few previous versions:

Version 2005 August 31, 2004
Version 2006 October 6, 2005
Version 2007 October 11, 2006
Version 2008 August 20, 2007
Version 2009 August 23, 2008
Version 2010 August 31, 2009
Version 2011 February 11, 2011
Version 2012 - never released
Version 2013 - July 1, 2012
Version 2014 - ???

Given the above I don't think we'll see a 2014 version, and I have a feeling 2013 will be the last version we'll see.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

You may be right. With all the other options out there, this may be a dinosaur.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
There is still nothing else around that makes it as easy to plan a route as S&T. I plan my route with S&T, then drive it with a standalone GPS.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
What else did you buy but don't think you got an upgrade? Most of the upgrades to the MAPPING programs are in the maps them selves not in how they operate. New roads, unmapped roads, deleted roads, and integration of points of interest and unless one can identify those feature one does not see anything grand and new.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are a Good Sam member and happen to own a Rand McNally RVND 77xx GPS unit, Good Sam has an excellent trip planner
Good Sam Club

You create a trip and then transfer it to your GPS unit through the Dock program. I have found the program very easy to use and transfer routes.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Good Sam Travel Planner is indeed excellent, but it will only work with their propitiatory GPS equipment, not with a Garmin. Shame because we have the GS Ins, Roadside, ect. and still we can't use it on our Garmins.

S&T 2013 is an excellent trip planner. I tried Garmins Basecamp ect., and S&T works far better than anything else. You can download it online or purchase it in a store, either way its the best I've seen. It synchronizes easily with my Garmins.

Shame Basecamp doesn't work better.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Well.. If I am doing a short run in the car I generally let Google pick a route for me and follow it...

But I use S&T for major "migration" runs, Like the 800 miles from Summer to winter quarters.. On this using S&T is way easier.. I have imported the mega file of places I do or do not wish to travel to... I have LOW CLEARANCE points logged, I have easy keyboard entry. and as I said, 2013 gave me a much nicer router than 2011 did for the same start and stop points.

That is a big thing to me

IS 2014 different (user interface) YES> is the interface better, NO, that's one thing I have found in the comptuer world. User interfaces go from good to bad to worse over time.

But the routing software is what impresses me and 2013 did a better job.. Less "mountain" type driving, Less Millage and good directions.

I just wish the voice was louder when using it.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
S&T is the only program I'm aware of that you can input what time you want to start, what time to stop, how often to take rest stops and for how long. It shows me when I need to refuel and where I will stop for the night based on my input parameters. I use it exclusively to plan my trips and estimate travel time and costs.

It will be a real shame if they discontinue it, even though the functionality hasn't changed much.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Sorry if any of you misunderstood my reply. I in no way meant that I did not like it. I use it for every trip I go on and probably at least once a day to see where something is. I think it is the best route planning software.

What I meant was in the big company that Microsoft is, a software like this probably has minimal priority due to very low sales. The sales also probably slip each year with all the other options available.
The average person has no use for it. They just punch in an address on their smart phone and follow it blindly.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Getting back to the question of version 2013 vs 2011, there are probably some roadwork changes in there, but not of enormous consequence. I have been using S&T 2006 until this year, and it has been really great. A couple of years ago I purchased S&T 2011, but when I installed it it, I was put off by the new "improved" user interface, which I found distracting and no improvement at all, so I kept using S&T 2006 through the end of 2013, With very few exceptions the 2006 version did a great job and I had no need to use into what I considered an inferior interface (They change these things so that they can sell you something new which often is not as good as what it replaced. Witness Windows Vista vs the superior Windows XP.)

Since I did very occasionally encounter a road interchange that had been reconfigured so as not to match what S&T 2006 showed, I reluctantly changed over recently to using S&T 2011. I will adjust to the interface again (sigh), and I imagine the POI's will be more up to date. But yearly updates are not really necessary, for me anyhow. If they would stop messing with the user interface just for appearance sake, I would buy frequent updates just to have the more recent database, but when they take away the familiar interface and substitute something else that I have to learn without any major improvement functionality, it puts me off and makes me stick with the old and comfortable.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote