Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Microsoft Ends Support for Windows XP

REDMOND, Wash. — For those in the RV industry who are late adapters of new technology, take heart. Microsoft will discontinue support of its Windows XP software starting April 8. The operating system was first released Aug. 24, 2001.

Microsoft has provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But now the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences, the release noted.

As a result, after April 8, technical assistance for Windows XP will no longer be available, including automatic updates that help protect a PC. Microsoft will also stop providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP on this date. Users who already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that the PC will be secure because Microsoft will no longer be providing security updates to help protect a computer running Windows XP.

People may continue to use Windows XP after support ends. Even though the computer will still work, it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, XP users can expect to encounter greater numbers of apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

Very few older computers will be able to run Windows 8.1, which is the latest version of Windows. Microsoft recommend that users download and run the Windows Upgrade Assistant to check if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 8.1 and then follow the steps in the tutorial to upgrade if your PC is able. To run the Upgrade Assistant, click here.
If a PC can’t run Windows 8.1, it might be time to consider shopping for a new one, Microsoft explained, noting the new generation of PCs more powerful, lightweight, and stylish than ever before—and with an average price that’s considerably less expensive than the average PC was 10 years ago.

From RV Daily Report
Greg Gerber, Editor
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #2

Effectively, Windows 8.1 does not support multitasking. Its a piece of garbage. Windows 7 was a reasonable product. If at all possible, avoid Win 8.1. Its like using your cell phone with a big screen. Navigation is horrid.

Truthfully, XP is pretty well vetted, and is a pretty stable product. The chances of someone actually finding and exploiting a vulnerability is pretty slim any more.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:58 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
...Truthfully, XP is pretty well vetted, and is a pretty stable product. The chances of someone actually finding and exploiting a vulnerability is pretty slim any more.
And yet hackers are already targeting ATMs still running on XP. Once M$ pulls the plug next month on the 8th, it will be open season of XP. I wouldn't be surpised if hackers haven't already found several unpatched security holes and are just waiting until M$ pulls the plug to spring new malware on people still using XP.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Windows 8.1 is the worse system they have developed. By not supporting their older operating systems they force people into the piece of junk 8.1. I use my Galaxy 10.1 tablet 99% of the time.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:21 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Microsoft is already making noises about Windows 9. Windows 8 has been an unmitigated disaster. When I provide computer support and people are talking about getting new computers, I feel compelled to warn them that Windows 8.X is nothing like what they may be used to and be prepared for a learning curve. Unfortunately, from what I have read so far, Microsoft appears hell bent on continuing with their "Metro" interface which I loath for workstations. Most of my clients even those with touchscreens don't care for it much either.

For those who are running XP for the time being, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of support in the immediate future. Chances are you may have to move to a different browser if you are using IE. As far as exploits are concerned, the vast majority of those using XP still are likely just casual users checking email and sending photos. You will have to upgrade eventually but it might be worth putting off that until you see what Windows 9 has to offer (about a year from now). Or you can choose to go to either some kind of Android based machine or even Apple. I must admit after eschewing the latter for many years, I have had my patience for MS's penchant for making radical changes (even to basic terminology) pushed to the limit. Enough to consider the higher costing Apple.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Win8.1 every day and overall like it. Albeit it needs to be on appropriate new hardware for the best experience. I have it on an ASUS T100 2in1 computer. Basically a 10" touchscreen tablet with readily detachable keyboard.

The metro UI is a replacement for icons on the desktop plus it can have apps that run in its environment. There is a bit of a learning curve, as with anything new. But I found it not to be that difficult.

Moving to desktop mode basically puts you in the Win7 environment. Most all your familiar applications run there as they do with Win7. Multitasking is there as with Win7. Right click on the Start Button and most all the familiar utilities are there. I often use MSFT Office on the desktop with the keyboard attached.

And if you really want it more like Win7 set it so on startup the desktop rather than the Metro UI is the default, and get your start menu back by installing one if several such utilities. One popular being StartUI.

There are many improvements 'under the hood' that are not seen. Responsiveness, reduced power consumption for better battery life, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are other solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	59354  

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The problem is businesses. Thom works for one international company and interacts on a daily basis with at least 4 others. None of them like nor are going to go to Win 8. Very few, if any, of the programs that they all use will not work with Win 8 anyway. Those companies would need to buy several thousands of new computers and then train several thousands of employees around the world on how to work them .... not gonna happen.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And of course most programs currently running on old XP computers will have to be upgraded as well. So go spend $700-$1000 for a new computer and then $800-$1500 for new software. Gotta love M$. Build in obsolescence and you always have work!
Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
The misinformation I'm seeing here is amazing. XP will NOT be safe after 4/8. Period. Some people may get away with continuing to use it after 4/8 but I wouldn't count on it. Although most XP machines won't be able to run Win 7 (at least, not fully), it's simply not true that most XP programs will not run on Win 7. When I switched over to Win 7 a couple of years ago, only two of my programs refused to run on Win 7 (they were freebies I was able to replace with other freebies that were even better). Two more had to be run in compatibility mode but, otherwise ran just fine.

Windows OSes have ten year life spans. This is known from the day they are introduced. Windows actually extended XP's lifespan by an unprecedented two years. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to have not upgraded from XP by now.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #11

It depends on what you are using XP for. If you are using it to store and network sensitive business and personal data, you might consider moving off it. Security issues will be uncovered across the MS software platform but fixes will not be issued for XP. For me, I have an old XP PC that I will continue using to surf the web and do email.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The misinformation I'm seeing here is amazing. XP will NOT be safe after 4/8. Period. Some people may get away with continuing to use it after 4/8 but I wouldn't count on it. Although most XP machines won't be able to run Win 7 (at least, not fully), it's simply not true that most XP programs will not run on Win 7. When I switched over to Win 7 a couple of years ago, only two of my programs refused to run on Win 7 (they were freebies I was able to replace with other freebies that were even better). Two more had to be run in compatibility mode but, otherwise ran just fine.

Windows OSes have ten year life spans. This is known from the day they are introduced. Windows actually extended XP's lifespan by an unprecedented two years. There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to have not upgraded from XP by now.
Hmm, there is no excuse for you to not spend money. You just stated that most XP machines won't run Win 7, but then state there is no excuse, after just giving a very good reason. Win 8.1 is garbage, so one is left with no alternative. I guess we should have seen this nonsense coming when they removed multitasking from excel. Microsoft has no concept of the real world.

The problem is that there is no good reason to upgrade. The new products do not provide any advantage. If one just needs to surf the web and do email, the are plenty of good operating systems to do that.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
Hmm, there is no excuse for you to not spend money. You just stated that most XP machines won't run Win 7, but then state there is no excuse, after just giving a very good reason. Win 8.1 is garbage, so one is left with no alternative. I guess we should have seen this nonsense coming when they removed multitasking from excel. Microsoft has no concept of the real world.

The problem is that there is no good reason to upgrade. The new products do not provide any advantage. If one just needs to surf the web and do email, the are plenty of good operating systems to do that.
Your "logic" is faulty. First, it's been known from the word go that XP was going to end in ten years, then M$ extended it two more years; people had plenty of time to move on to Win 7. Second, Win 8.1 is not one's only option; there are Win 7 machines still being sold (Lenovo and HP are two manufacturers still selling them). You will have to look for them, probably online, since most brick and mortar retailers don't keep them in store stock (try Amazon for starters). Many Win 8.1 machines can be "downgraded" to Win 7; Win 7 OEM licenses and installation disks are still being sold. Another option is to pay a builder to custom build a Win 7 machine. Yet more options, especially if all one does is email and web surf, include Chromebooks and Android tablets (a few Linux machines are also available). And, of course, there are (gasp choke) Macs and I-Pads.

Even if all you do not use your computer for anything other than email and web surfing, if (more like when) your machine gets infected, you could spread that infection via emails you sent to people who use their machines for banking and other sensitive applications.

If you waited too long for whatever reason to upgrade from XP, you have no one to blame but yourself so suck it up and shell out what it takes to replace XP.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
If you waited too long for whatever reason to upgrade from XP, you have no one to blame but yourself so suck it up and shell out what it takes to replace XP.

Hmmmm I am sure parts of the government would love to hear you want them to spend more money ...
I am sure there are other multinational companies that would love to charge you lots more for things just to keep changing out their computers and training every few years ....

Thom does some work for the government and at least 4 multinational companies right now and he says "Yes there are still people that have XP machines, some with Win 7 and no plans for any of them to go to Win 8 because no one likes it and not very much works with it"

Tags
window