Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 05:33 AM   #1

Microsoft Excel issues

During our travels the excel 2007 program has begin to act up. I get a message that it is not responding. All my financial data that I need is there. I have tried to save the data as various types of files and none seem to work.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it running properly again?

If I download the Microsoft 365 program will it read the current files and fix my problem? ( I have all them backed up on a thumb drive)

All other programs on this laptop have been working correctly.

Thanks for your help.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 05:39 AM   #2

Excel needs to be loaded in newest format. Download this version and then save your past files in newest format. That is what I had to do.
Hennessy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #3

I haven't used Excel for a long time but if it literally says something like "not responding" then that sounds more like the application is not starting property rather than a data format issue.

If you still have the install media then it would probably be worth reinstalling Excel.

Maybe you could try Google Sheets if you have a free Google account. It seems to import Excel files pretty good although how good will probably depend on whether you have Excel macros etc. I think it would be fine if it's just a sheet of numbers. Google Sheets is all I ever use for my rather simple financial records, mostly for doing tax returns.

You could also get a free account at outlook.com which is Microsoft's free email but it also gives you a free version of MS Office online. It's obviously a "light" version of the paid "premium" online Office. I don't know what features it's missing but the Excel it provides looks and feels like the desktop app to me.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
During our travels the excel 2007 program has begin to act up. I get a message that it is not responding. All my financial data that I need is there. I have tried to save the data as various types of files and none seem to work.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get it running properly again?

If I download the Microsoft 365 program will it read the current files and fix my problem? ( I have all them backed up on a thumb drive)

All other programs on this laptop have been working correctly.

Thanks for your help.
Have you tried a cold boot of your computer (not just a restart but a complete shut down and restart)?
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

Just a few thoughts…

Use file explorer to copy your files to a thumb drive or other external storage. That way you won’t lose the data.

You can then use Google sheets or try looking up other freeware that can read your files (just look up Free software that can read excel files).

Hope that helps.

Edit…sorry, you said you’ve already backed up.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Office365 will be able to read a 2007 file format…

As others have suggested it sounds like the program has been corrupted. Try uninstall Excel, restart computer, reinstall Excel.

If this turns out to be a difficult problem to solve and time (or effort) becomes and issue:
There is also a free open source office program call OpenOffice that works seamlessly with Microsoft files (including excel).
Old 08-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #7

First as others suggested... make copies of your saved excel files. One easy method is to copy the to an online free storage such as drop box. www.dropbox.com

Now a few options:

Option 1 Repair Microsoft Office:

Check and repair Microsoft Office. Here is a good how to:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/micr...t-office-2007/

Option 2 Reinstall Microsoft Office:

Next, for Excel. If you still have the original install media (tumb drive, CD, DVD, etc) Uninstall Microsoft Office, restart (NOT shutdown, it's "differnt") your computer. Re-install Microsoft Office, then restart your computer again. Now try and open your files.

Option 3: Replace Microsoft Office 2007

Here you have options.

Office 365: Go with Office 365 (O365), the downside is the free version is web based and doesn't have all the features, you have to have an internet connection to use it. You have to be connected to the internet to use it. There is an option to pay for O365, you then get the "full version" which you then can install it on your computer or use on the web. Note however that O365 is SUBSCRIPTION based, it's a monthly or annual charge. Unlike Office 2007 you can't buy it and be done.

Google Docs. Like O365, free version is web based and requires an internet connection to use.

There are free options if you want the software on your computer:

My preference is Libre, a full featured Microsoft Office replacement that is free. It will work with all your existing saved files. The only downside for their Excel replacement is somtimes any Macros written in Excel won't work in Libre Calc (their Excel program). If you never wrote any macros or don't know what they are, likely you won't have this issue. But it's free, if you don't like it you can always go back to O365 or try other software.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Notes:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office shouldn't delete your saved files. The suggestion to make copies is to be safe. If you try alternatives, like Libre, I highly suggest keeping seperate copies of your Excel files just in case the new program does something to the file you don't like. You can always go back if you keep copies of the original files.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you tried to download the free LibreOffice suite. It is generally 100% compatible with the MS products. Since MS Office went subscription service, I switched to the Libre.

Ken
Old 08-01-2021, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post

If this turns out to be a difficult problem to solve and time (or effort) becomes and issue:
There is also a free open source office program call OpenOffice that works seamlessly with Microsoft files (including excel)...
FYI (bit of thread creep)

OpenOffice is good free Office Program. It was taken over by a company called Apache. It is still gets support and updates, but not like it used to. The original developers left Apache (due to arguments and disagreements) and created a new version called LibreOffice (https://www.libreoffice.org/)

IMHO, while OpenOffice is a good Microsft Office replacement, LibreOffice is better, more polished and gets more support.

Purely my opinion.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Have you tried a cold boot of your computer (not just a restart but a complete shut down and restart)?
In Windows 10, a cold reboot is done by selecting "restart". If you use "shut down" windows saves current settings and goes into a sort of hibernate mode to allow faster startup.

From: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-11eda28e3b7f

"A shutdown in Windows 8 or 10 is not really a shut down, the state of RAM is written to the hard disk and then read back into RAM when you start your system again.

Basically it is like the hibernation process in previous versions of Windows. So if there is a fault, that will be read back into RAM when your system starts again

Whereas a Restart does actually clear RAM and does not read the state of Windows. That is why in Windows 8 and 10 a restart takes a lot longer than turning off and back on your PC

Most people do not know the value of restarting (not shutting down) Windows 10 form time to time, it is actually a really healthy thing to do for a Windows 10 PC."
Old 08-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
I just removed Open Office from my PC.

It did not play well with my excel file and word file.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #12
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Have you tried to download the free LibreOffice suite. It is generally 100% compatible with the MS products. Since MS Office went subscription service, I switched to the Libre.

Ken
X2 for LibreOffice!

Also note that OpenOffice was discontinued a number of years ago.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:44 PM   #13

X3 for LibreOffice! Lots of Linux users use that as an alternative to Microsoft products.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:08 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used MS office for years. About 5 years ago I down loaded Open office and its had no issues opening up MS office.

I starting to like openoffice more.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel