Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Millenicom

Anyone looking into Millenicom for your wireless data STAY away. We signed up about 4 months ago paid $164.98 for their equipment it works great. Then we get a notice their monthly rate for 20 GB would increase from $69 a month to $89 a month. If we had known this we would not have bought the equipment. This is an unreasonable increase. only plus side is there is no contract. So we are out $164.98.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

New Horizons Owners Club
What service are you all going to?
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:24 AM   #3

We plan to go with Millenicom later this year. Originally we were upset about the price increase and started looking around but there seems to be no other option within the price range that offers 20 gigs. So we will be signing up. The internet is more important to us than paying for satellite use. If you find something cheaper, please post. Thanks for your comments.

Best of luck and happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Anyone looking into Millenicom for your wireless data STAY away. We signed up about 4 months ago paid $164.98 for their equipment it works great. Then we get a notice their monthly rate for 20 GB would increase from $69 a month to $89 a month. If we had known this we would not have bought the equipment. This is an unreasonable increase. only plus side is there is no contract. So we are out $164.98.
There were a couple of threads about this when the notices about the increase first came out. It is unfortunate the old rates were still being shown on the Millenicom website for a while even after the price increase was announced to existing customers. This was misleading to prospective customers.

However, in defense of Millenicom, the increase was caused by Verizon, not by Millenicom. If you want the coverage of Verizon/Millenicom, Millenicom is still cheaper than Verizon for that amount of data even with the increase. Only if you consistently use much less than 20GB of data or if you can live with a smaller coverage area can you get broadband for less than than Millenicom.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The increase was cause by Verizon raising their bulk rate charges to Millenicom. The owners of Millenicom were negotiating very hard right up to the end to try and get a more reasonable increase from Verizon, but were not successful.

It's unfortunate that this large increase caught some by surprise, but I don't think Millenicom had any choice.

Don't forget there is no contract, so you can deactivate and reactivate (for a fee) any time you want to. You can also put in a vacation deactivation, for I believe two months, with no reactivation fee.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
What would you have done instead? Yeah, the increase sucks, but that was due to Verizon. Millenicom had no choice. And it's still a better deal than anyone else for 20GB/mo on Verizon's network.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #7

Like others I have had Millenicom for 2 years or more. This is the first and only price increase I can recall. Short notice and big jump, yes! But not sure they had much choice in the matter. Be mad at Verizon more than Millenicom.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
When we left Verizon almost two years ago we were paying $80 per month for 10 gig. $89 is still a "bargain" for 20, although the increase was big (just under 30%), it remains one of the best deals going. I can see, however, how the seemingly sudden increase so close to your initial signup would be disappointing.

We're using Verizon equipment to access the Verizon network at a significant discount off Verizon prices. What a country!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
what everyone else said. Not happy with the increase, also soon after initiating service and buying equipment, but not their fault and still a good deal. I am staying.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 AM   #10

Personally, I will bet Millenicom is getting part of this increase and it doesn't matter who caused it. A 29% increase is ludicrous.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #11

We had used Verizon for several years with a 16 G plan for about twice what MCOM gets for 20. It is still a bargain at the increased price.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

I have heard some grumbling lately about Millenicom but I too will probably have to sign up for it. My question is, can I buy equipment from someone (disgruntled) and use that or do I have to buy the equipment from Millenicom? Are any of you finding that M is slowing down your speed as you get over 10Gb? I'm hearing that in other forums. Thanks!!
GVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Personally, I will bet Millenicom is getting part of this increase and it doesn't matter who caused it. A 29% increase is ludicrous.
That's right. It doesn't matter.

I suppose you can cut off your nose to spite your face and drop Millenicom, but an equivalent Verizon plan (20 GB) will cost $150/month.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVJeeper View Post
I have heard some grumbling lately about Millenicom but I too will probably have to sign up for it. My question is, can I buy equipment from someone (disgruntled) and use that or do I have to buy the equipment from Millenicom? Are any of you finding that M is slowing down your speed as you get over 10Gb? I'm hearing that in other forums. Thanks!!

No you must buy your equipment from Millenicom, they will not activate other sourced equipment on this plan.

Yes, I've also seen the reports of throttling, but I think it's Verizon doing it. As I understand, if it happens and is reported to Millenicom they try to get Verizon to live up to their agreement.