RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mixing Hopper/Joey with 722k

Does anybody have the Dish Hopper/Joey setup with a VIP 722k/211/etc? I thought that was possible when I got a Hopper/Joey for the house and also a 722k which I was going to take with us in the RV while on the road but when I called in to activate the 722k I was told you can't mix them on the same account. Help!!!
MSGulfCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Hopper/Joey and 211k on same account. I believe this is the only allowed combo on same account, since the 211k is commonly used with Tailgater portable antenna. I would think Dish's restriction on other receivers is to minimize multiple households sharing the same account.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the verification that they can coexist on the same account. That contradicts what the rep said on the phone. Said the 722k was incompatible with the Hopper/Joey because of software differences but the 211 would be different also.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGulfCoast View Post
Thanks for the verification that they can coexist on the same account. That contradicts what the rep said on the phone. Said the 722k was incompatible with the Hopper/Joey because of software differences but the 211 would be different also.
The 722k won't operate in conjunction with the Hopper/Joey viewing system, nor can the 211k - of this I am pretty sure. But a 211k and Hopper/Joeys can be on the same account. These are two differing things.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like I'll be calling Dish to come swap the Hopper/Joey out for other DVRs. Sadly this is a step backward in functionality from my 15 year old ReplayTVs which can all share content to any other unit in the house. Now I'm beginning to wish I had never installed it in the house. Thanks for the clarifications as I see what you mean now.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm sure learning a lot of what "not to do." I have had a VIP-722 for several years and for the last 5 I have pulled it out of the stick house and taken it on the road with us when we travel. I'm not about to give it up with all that I have heard.

Thanks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is advantage of the 722 that makes you not want to swap the 722 for 211k(s) for use on the MH??
Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What is advantage of the 722 that makes you not want to swap the 722 for 211k(s) for use on the MH??
Guess I'll take a stab at answering your question but I'm pretty new to this and have only had Dish for a couple of weeks however I've made about every mistake that can be made thus far!

The VIP722k has two tuners which can be used to supply HD to one TV and an SD feed to a second TV (I know there are other setups but for simplicity sake let's just go with that!) with each TV having independent viewing/changing of channels. Most obviouly the 722k is a DVR which the 211k is not. I think they both have the slot for the OTA modulator which adds a couple more tuners basically for those channels so theoretically you could record 4 programs at once but whether in practice it is possible I don't know.

BTW - the installer basically said that hardware-wise there was no reason the 722k could not have been connected to the 3rd LNB while the Hopper/Joey used the other 2. It seems that Dish just doesn't want this to occur for whatever reason. I fail to believe that it's due to "downloads/updates" as surely they can determine what to download based on what receiver model is asking for it!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
722k has 2 tuners and can provide independent viewing to 2 TVs at once. One in HD and the second in SD. 722k more importantly is a DVR so if you have recorded shows you can take them with you to watch in the MH.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I can't figure out why you would want to mix a 722 with the Hopper system. Since the Hopper has three tuners, with a 211 and a hard drive, you could have your 4 tuners. Although the Hopper can record up to 5 channels as once when using the Primetime function.

If you have three TVs, a Hopper and two Joeys would be easier to configure.

I hope that either way you go, you are using a Winegard Trav'ler or a Dish 1000 antenna on a tripod. These are not systems that work with a dome.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You are correct The Hopper And Joey were better systems IMHO. However in order for our college kid left at home to have TV when my wife and I are gone the 722/612 was really the best chose for us. For Every Joey in use the Hopper has one less tuner since they have no tuner in them I believe.

I just installed an SK-1000 on the Dynasty which is amazing! Turned it on when we arrived and didn't have to touch it again until it was time to go.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

Quote:
You are correct The Hopper And Joey were better systems IMHO. However in order for our college kid left at home to have TV when my wife and I are gone the 722/612 was really the best chose for us. For Every Joey in use the Hopper has one less tuner since they have no tuner in them I believe.
Get 2 Hoppers instead.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
In hindsight that's probably what I should have done but Dish customer service, as is the case with many large companies, leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway I was reluctant to divulge the fact that I would be using one (or more) recievers in the MH as it seems they will sometime frown on that practice.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
In hindsight that's probably what I should have done but Dish customer service, as is the case with many large companies, leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway I was reluctant to divulge the fact that I would be using one (or more) recievers in the MH as it seems they will sometime frown on that practice.
I think A lot of RV'ers including myself used to have that same notion about not divulging the fact we are using our receivers in our RV's. In my experience, Dish, for many years, has had no problem with it. I openly discuss with Dish customer service on calls to them regarding RV use. Some CS reps have no clue when your talking RV use and you then should try another CS rep or just go to the Dish RV support group. I have had Dish ship replacement receivers and remote controllers to my RV location. Currently I am working with Dish for a home Hopper system and want to keep a 211K in my motor home. Dish say's that would be ok but why not just get an extra Hopper and not bother with a 211. They said they would provide an extra node also. I still want two 211k receivers for the MH. After getting confortable with the Hopper in the house I may then go with it in the RV

I know Dish can get one irritated at times but I have found that if you can get to the right CS person you'll most likely be happy with Dish overall. JMHO.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote