Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #1

Mobley PIN change, my $39 solution

Background: When the dreaded firmware update took place, one of my Mobley's was
in a drawer, powered off. This SIM, I was able to put in my MOFI 4500 with no problems.
My second Mobley did receive the firmware update, which created the common problems
that we all know about by now.

I was so pleased with the MOFI 4500, that I decided to purchase a second one. Of course
my updated SIM card would not work in the new MOFI since the PIN was unknown. Since
I didn't have an old phone or another router to create a new PIN, I was stuck. Side bar... The
MOFI does have a place to enter the PIN for the SIM card, but it does not have the capacity
to ask for the PUK number and then update a PIN number.

My research told me that some SIM card readers with associated software would allow you
to create a new PIN number. I ordered a very cheap SIM reader from eBay and it was just that,
CHEAP. The SIM slot was a joke so I ended up trashing it out of fear that I would damage my
SIM card. Plus the free software didn't instill confidence that I would be able to change the PIN.

Looking farther, I came across the Dekart brand reader and software. The description on the
software said that it could "change the PIN number" among other things. Not cheap by any
means, but cheaper than buying some kind of unneeded router or old phone to do the job. I
found that the price on Amazon, because of free shipping, was cheaper than ordering direct
from the factory, so I ordered one.

I had already downloaded the software and manual from the factory site by the time the device
arrived. It doesn't ship with the required registration key, or any other information as it turns out.
An email exchange with Dekart's customer service will get the required key for the software. At
the same time, I exchanged a couple more emails with them and was pleasantly surprised with
their customer service.

After the software was ready and the SIM installed in the reader, it was the moment of truth.
Although the manual's instructions looked simple enough, I was a little nervous, since I know
absolutely nothing about this sort of thing. As soon as the software started, it asked for my PIN
number. After three incorrect guesses, it popped up a window asking for a PUK number and right
below that was a space for a new PIN. It took maybe thirty seconds to write a new PIN to my
SIM card. I could have just stopped there, but I clicked the "read" button, which zipped though a
bunch of stuff and read the card. Clicking on "PIN", it showed my new PIN number, so I knew I was
home free.

I installed the updated SIM in the new MOFI 4500, filed in the new PIN number and it's working
perfectly. I wish the process had costs less than $39.00 but it did what I wanted and I'm happy.
On the upside, I have at least two friends that would like to update their PIN so maybe they will
buy me a burger for the service and help me recoup my investment.

The Amazon link is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

About getting your PUK number. As mentioned by magicbus, a call to 800-331-0500 and telling
the computer "I need a PUK code" put me in contact with a human. All he asked for was the phone
number assigned to the Mobley. Within a few minutes, I had PUK #1. He wasn't forthcoming with
PUK #2, saying it could be gotten later if needed, so I didn't press it.

Regards,
Ed
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Looking farther, I came across the Dekart brand reader and software. The description on the
software said that it could "change the PIN number" among other things. Not cheap by any
means, but cheaper than buying some kind of unneeded router or old phone to do the job. I
found that the price on Amazon, because of free shipping, was cheaper than ordering direct
from the factory, so I ordered one.

The Amazon link is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very cool, thank you for testing this and posting about your success Ed. I'm sure others will take advantage of this information.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:01 AM   #3

Yes, thanks for posting this. Does this do away with the 2 hr use limit?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 AM   #4

Following
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Yes because the 2 hour limit is a device setting not a sim card setting.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

I'm not sure about the 2 hour limit. I briefly put the SIM back into the Mobley just to see if it still worked (which it did). When I logged into the Mobley's manager, there was a check box for 2 hours but nothing for anything longer. I could put it back in the Mobley and see how long it would stay connected before timing out, if that would help anyone.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is because the 2 hr setting is stored in the Mobley Settings on the Mobley and not on the SIM
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
I'm not sure about the 2 hour limit. I briefly put the SIM back into the Mobley just to see if it still worked (which it did). When I logged into the Mobley's manager, there was a check box for 2 hours but nothing for anything longer. I could put it back in the Mobley and see how long it would stay connected before timing out, if that would help anyone.

Will that same Sim card now work in both of your Mobleys swapping the sim back and forth to each Mobley? How would you enter a Pin# for a Mobley if you needed to since there is no touch screen or is that not necessary now that you changed the sim card pin# with the reader. Reason I'm asking is I bought a spare Mobley in case mine breaks and want to test it during the 30 day return period. My sim card does not work in the spare Mobley because the 2 Mobley devices have different firmware versions. The Mobley I use is FW 1.03 and the spare is FW1.0.1. I have my PUK codes and I'm wondering if I get this reader and change the pin#, will it enable me to use my sim in the spare Mobely or do I have to disable the pin# altogether? Sorry if I jumped out of my original thread about this but i thought this sim card reader takes me closer to my desired solution.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:18 AM   #9

Mobley? More RV slang?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #10

It's a At&T mobile hotspot device, hoping to here back from W4KMA with answers to my questions.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #11

After changing the PIN, you can put the SIM into your eBay Mobley and it will work but..... The Mobley will not automatically connect to the cell tower on its own. You will have to log into your AT&T WiFi Manager (192.168.1.1) and enter your new PIN number. It will then connect to the cell tower and operate as normal. After the time-out period, you have to repeat the process.

If you were to use your PUK number and change the PIN number to "blank..just no number at all", I don't know what would happen. I don't know enough about SIM stuff to know. Perhaps this would "unlock" the SIM and make the Mobley not want/expect a PIN number, thus it would connect to the cell system automatically.

If this were to be the case, then either Mobley would work as they did originally before the update that locked the SIM. Would AT&T update and lock it again? I don't know. If I can find the time over the weekend, I will try removing the PIN from my card and see what happens.

Hopefully I explained this good enough that it makes sense. I only know enough about this stuff to be fairly dangerous ;-).

Ed
Old 06-06-2019, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Mobley? More RV slang?
LMGTFY
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

Thank you for the information. I have a 14.5 V. adapter cord that is allowing my Mobleys to stay powered up without timing out, so I shouldn't have to keep putting the pin in attwifimanager too much. I had gone ahead and ordered the Sim reader earlier today. I'm glad you discovered a standalone device that can unlock the sim card.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #14

Buy a refurbed Netgear Unite Explore - it allows you to change the PIN / enter a PUK and then you can disable the requirement top enter PIN to use it. Then you leave the SIM in the Unite and store the mobley for backup. The Unite is a better modem, has external antenna capability and is battery powered, so you can use it without a power source. You charge it via a USB cord.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote