Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #1

Mobley speeds

I'm getting close to 20mb down and 12-16 upload speeds when using the Mobley whereas my normal in-home wifi is 50-60 down and close to 20 upload. How do these Mobley speeds compare to others?

And while i'm asking questions, I can't get internet access with my laptop when connecting with the on-board wifi adapter but can if I use an external USB adapter. Both adapters are 802.11ac. Any ideas?
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
I'm getting close to 20mb down and 12-16 upload speeds when using the Mobley whereas my normal in-home wifi is 50-60 down and close to 20 upload. How do these Mobley speeds compare to others?

And while i'm asking questions, I can't get internet access with my laptop when connecting with the on-board wifi adapter but can if I use an external USB adapter. Both adapters are 802.11ac. Any ideas?
You had to enter certain credentials to log in to the network with the external device - my money is on that you mis-entered the credentials when connecting with your onboard laptop wifi NIC. Delete that connection and try adding a new connection to the hotspot.
Please come back and tell us how that worked so this thread can be closed.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
You had to enter certain credentials to log in to the network with the external device - my money is on that you mis-entered the credentials when connecting with your onboard laptop wifi NIC. Delete that connection and try adding a new connection to the hotspot.
Please come back and tell us how that worked so this thread can be closed.
Maybe I wasn't clear, I can connect to the Mobley with either NIC. It's just when I'm connected with the Intel on-board NIC, I have no internet.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

The Mobley has to be connected to a cell tower to provide internet via wifi. You can always connect to the Mobley via wifi (unless it's off) but if the Mobley is not connected to the tower, you get no internet.
Reboot it and if both leds are lit, you should have internet.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #5

I get from 50kb to 18mb. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The Mobley has to be connected to a cell tower to provide internet via wifi. You can always connect to the Mobley via wifi (unless it's off) but if the Mobley is not connected to the tower, you get no internet.
Reboot it and if both leds are lit, you should have internet.
Please re-read my original post, I'm obviously connecting to the internet if I'm posting download/upload speeds.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I get from 50kb to 18mb. Chuck
Thanks, good to know. It seems to me like those aren't fast enough to consider replacing my cable based home internet service as some have done.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

We are in a campground in very southern Indiana, yesterday my Mobley was giving me 6 meg down and 1.5 up which We can live with but today it will not connect to a tower, I have rebooted it several times and nothing. I mite add the AT&T cell service here is nothing, no service except an occasional blip depending on where we are in the park. but on a good note the park has good wifi so we are getting by
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Found and fixed my connection problem. The DNS servers set under my NIC properties for TCP V4 on my home network (Spectrum) weren't valid for the AT&T Mobley!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We usually get about 12 Mbps down! Not fantastic but adequate for us!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
Found and fixed my connection problem. The DNS servers set under my NIC properties for TCP V4 on my home network (Spectrum) weren't valid for the AT&T Mobley!

Good find. In general you might find that Google's DNS servers or the ones form Cloud Fare give you faster resolve speeds and their servers are not dependent on your ISP.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:30 AM   #12

Your speed is going to depend on your distance to the tower and the traffic. I get about 6mb down most of the time, but close to a tower and not much traffic early in the morning, I have seen 70mb. Sitting at my home I get 12-15 consistent.
As far as no service when connected. I have had this happen a few time, just reboot usually fixes it.
You can check the cell info on your phone, give main tower and next closest in db. *3001#12345#*
Old 06-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsarmyknife View Post
Good find. In general you might find that Google's DNS servers or the ones form Cloud Fare give you faster resolve speeds and their servers are not dependent on your ISP.
Thanks, I'll check into that.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie View Post
Your speed is going to depend on your distance to the tower and the traffic. I get about 6mb down most of the time, but close to a tower and not much traffic early in the morning, I have seen 70mb. Sitting at my home I get 12-15 consistent.
As far as no service when connected. I have had this happen a few time, just reboot usually fixes it.
You can check the cell info on your phone, give main tower and next closest in db. *3001#12345#*
Thanks, very good information!