Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
I see you are getting the same slow speeds with the KuWfi Wifi that I am. I played with more settings yesterday and improved it greatly. I kept dropping the dBm setting of the Transmit Power. I am down from 30dBm which was the default setting to 5dBm.

If you want to try it go to Network, Wireless,in Wireless Overview click Edit of the one showing your signal strength, Transmit Power is at the bottom of Device Configuration. Good Luck
Confirmed i got the same results does seem like 5 is the best bet.

Amazing that cutting the power improved the speed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #100

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
I think the idea was to speed up pages opening
by limiting ads and videos.

Seemed logical

Anyone?
It does nothing for video streaming like netflix.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I did some speed tests on my current setup. I live in an AT&T low signal area, so I think it is pretty close to what I will get on the road as well. I used my phone and my laptop windows 10 computer for my test.
Here are the results:
Using The ASUS router usb tethered to the Explore unite 815S
PHONE on 5GHz band dwnld 8.01 upld: .20
on 2.4GHz dwnld 1.22 upld: .35

Cmptr on 5GHZ dwnld 6.55 upld: .43
on 2.4GHz dwnld 6.64 upld: .53
Hardwired dwnld 7.56 upld: 6.34

Using the Explore Unite 815s alone (not tethered to router)
Phone on 2.4GHz dwnld 9.42 upld: 8.59

Cmptr on 2.4Ghz dwnld 14.73 upld 7.27

The explore unite only has 2.4GHz

I don't really know how to analyze this, but about the only thing that stands out to me is that the tethered ASUS seems to be slower than the Explore Unite, especially in the wireless upload speeds.
I think the tether would be the central issue for you asus probably has to do some sort of conversion for the connection and you are being held up by the speed for this. In general my 2.4 results generally outperform 5ghz the only exception seems to be on my pixel 3 5ghz is almost always better. Now with that said i would assume most of this is hardware/software issues on the devices connecting. Now it might also include power to the transmit/receiver as well.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #102

I couldn't find a number to call them so I wrote them an email instead. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. If you build a router using their parts your still staring at $300+. They have a forum where I'm seeing quite a bit of complications with the Sierra modems, which they seem.to be pushing. I see the quectel modem is cheaper but no opinions or problems noted on their forum. I wished I knew more about this. I feel incompetent. I got some pricing back from MOFI. The cheapest non AC/5G option is going to be "about" $375 and the 5g faster setup with gigabyte ports will be closer to $450
Reggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
reggart, what sim card data plan are you planning on putting in this thing? I have the $20 connected car mobley sim card.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #104

Quote:
reggart, what sim card data plan are you planning on putting in this thing? I have the $20 connected car mobley sim card.
I have 3 options in the rural area where I live. Verizon AT&T and T-mobile. I already have ATT on my phones. Woukd like to try verizon.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #105

I'm actually looking at the netgear nighthawk m1. Got any opinions?
Old 12-31-2019, 04:14 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggart View Post
I couldn't find a number to call them so I wrote them an email instead. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. If you build a router using their parts your still staring at $300+. They have a forum where I'm seeing quite a bit of complications with the Sierra modems, which they seem.to be pushing. I see the quectel modem is cheaper but no opinions or problems noted on their forum. I wished I knew more about this. I feel incompetent. I got some pricing back from MOFI. The cheapest non AC/5G option is going to be "about" $375 and the 5g faster setup with gigabyte ports will be closer to $450
The KuWfi that I got from Amazon has the Cat 4 Quectel modem. The modem seems to work well but does cut the speed in 1/2. The WE826 router is very poor. There has to be a better way to do this.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:38 AM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
My thinking is shifting back to MOFI because they seem to be more of a complete product rather than a DIY project that is beyond my skill level. Even though the cost is higher, I believe there will be better customer support. I think I read on their site that they had a 30 day money back guarantee. So if things don't work out I can get my money back.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #108

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
The current mofi4500 is $329, are you saying it will be going up to $375 or is that price for something different?
Old 12-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #109

Quote:
The current mofi4500 is $329, are you saying it will be going up to $375 or is that price for something different?
Yes, their new 4500 will be $375 or more but will have a cat 12 modem.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, their new 4500 will be $375 or more but will have a cat 12 modem.
Two questions, any info on when that Cat 12 model will be available,
and do they have a re-stocking fee on returns?
Old 12-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
The KuWfi that I got from Amazon has the Cat 4 Quectel modem. The modem seems to work well but does cut the speed in 1/2. The WE826 router is very poor. There has to be a better way to do this.
I have not noticed the speed difference at all compared to the Mofi when direct connected the wifi router the dropping power got mine to same speed of the mofi. I have not extensively tested it but it did work. I did do the upgrade in openwrt as described earlier in the thread and i am using the latest version not the previous as suggested on ltehacks

Now lets keep in mind inside my house ATT service is not great i get between 2-5 down and about 1-3 up.

But in comparison imo for the normal user the mofi is more refined vendor supported product the kuwfi is for someone like myself that is willing to do firmware updates and mess around with it. Sometime i have time to do that and other time i do not.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Two questions, any info on when that Cat 12 model will be available,
and do they have a re-stocking fee on returns?
I dont know the answer to that, you would have to reach out to mofi to find out

Tags
wifi