RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
MOFI4500 or WE826-T2 4G LTE WiFi Router

Anyone using a MOFI4500 or WE826-T2 4G LTE WiFi type router setup in their RV? I currently use a Verizon 8800L jetpack. The 8800L is battery powered and must be continuously monitored for battery usage to avoid the device from turning off from low battery. I currently use an Amazon Smartplug with several routines to keep it charged. However I am experiencing device disconnects over and over. I am looking at replacing the jetpack with a more permanent solution that is not depend on a battery. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using any of the below products.

Products I have looked at:
1)MOFI4500 or WE826-T2 4G LTE WiFi Router

2)Winegard ConnecT 2.0 WF2 & 4G2

3)WiFi Ranger Sky Pro.

Thanks,
Glenn
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

I have looked into making my own version of the MOFI4500 using the WE826-T and the Sierra modem card. The YouTube site has some information on doing this. It looks like making your own version will save about $100. The only thing holding me back is the firmware used, but I haven't done much exploration on that subject.

That said, I have owned the MOFI4500 for several months and am 100% pleased with it. As background, my rural location and lack of decent (but expensive) internet service, had me jumping on the Mobley bandwagon as soon as I learned about it (I actually have two of them). Mobley #1 provides home internet and #2 is used in our car and RV. At home, the Mobley provided better internet than Windstream at 1/4 the costs, but after seeing a video of a MOFI4500 in an attic (in CO) with a yagi antenna, I decided to bite the bullet and give one a try.

The MOFI arrived, I popped in #1's SIM card and as soon as it booted up, I was off to the internet races. It was truly plug-n-play. After playing with the firmware some, I learned which bands had the best speeds and was able to lock the MOFI to only connect to them. The MOFI still has not made it to the attic, it just sits on an upstairs window sill where #1 Mobley sat. In that location, the MOFI's speed is a little over twice that of the Mobley. One of the MOFI's LAN ports connects to my VOIP phone modem (http://1-voip.com for anyone interested). This unit has run 24/7 for months with no problems.

Oh yes,,, one thing the MOFI provides is "cloud storage". A USB storage device plugged into the MOFI allows access to the stored data to any device on the MOFI's network. This is great for streaming to a TV or other device. This feature alone is worth the extra cost to me.

I've just recently decided that I'm going to order a second MOFI for the RV. It's an expensive unit but I'm pleased with its interface and how it works. It operates off 12 volts, so mobile operation is not a problem. If AT&T ever does away with the Connected Car plan, I'm sure others will offer something similar (like the new Verizon one) so the MOFI's will still be usable.

If you decide to go the WE826-T2 route (or if someone already has) please let me know how it works out. Especially what features can be had via the firmware.

Ed
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Thanks Ed!

That is exactly what I think I am going to try if I can't figure out what is going on with the jetpack. I plan on using this router https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/wg3526/ and installing this modem https://ltefix.com/shop/sierra-wirel...55-cat6-modem/

This would give me the both the 2.4GHz-5GHz and allow it to be powered 24/7. The jetpack is not designed for 24/7 operation and creating a workable charging schedule has been daunting. I have been using several routines setup in a smartplug but heavy usage drains the battery faster so sometimes I am running the battery to almost complete depletion.

I will keep you up to speed if I end up buying the WG3526. I am leaning towards this will be the best long term option for me.
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Thanks Ed!

That is exactly what I think I am going to try if I can't figure out what is going on with the jetpack. I plan on using this router https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/wg3526/ and installing this modem https://ltefix.com/shop/sierra-wirel...55-cat6-modem/

This would give me the both the 2.4GHz-5GHz and allow it to be powered 24/7. The jetpack is not designed for 24/7 operation and creating a workable charging schedule has been daunting. I have been using several routines setup in a smartplug but heavy usage drains the battery faster so sometimes I am running the battery to almost complete depletion.

I will keep you up to speed if I end up buying the WG3526. I am leaning towards this will be the best long term option for me.
Does the jetpack have a usb port? Can it be tethered to a home router? I have a Netgear Unite Explore 815S tethered to an Asus N66U router. The router provides charging power to the 815S through the usb cable. I can just turn them both on and forget it. I would think the jetpack could do the same.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #5

I am using the MoFi 4500 router on my Jayco Fifth Wheel. It is the best solution I have found for mobile living and I have tried many. I created a video to explain how you can use it with streaming data so you can save a bunch of money over other options. I'm using over 100GB per month with a $20 per month SIM card from T-Mobile. Check out this video to get an idea of how it works: https://youtu.be/s7H5vLWb68o.

The best part about the MoFi 4500 is that you can use it as WiFi hotspot to run all your devices through your cell phone service without special setup or equipment. The MoFi 4500 does it all. I am using mine to run Netflix, YouTube TV, Google Home, a laptop, a desktop, my RV security camera system and my RV controls even when I am mobile in my fifth wheel. Where I am at right now in a Thousand Trails campground I get 65Mb download and 27Mb upload speed. It's great!
jasonsele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Anyone using a MOFI4500 or WE826-T2 4G LTE WiFi type router setup in their RV?

We purchased the KuWFi WE826-T2 with OpenWRT. It is a Cat 6 cell modem/router. Here is an Amazon.com link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We flashed OpenWRT : Golden Orb, version we826-GO2018-11-03-upgrade.bin

Here is the link: https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18

Then changed the settings per the bottom half of this page: https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=233

We had trouble figuring out how to get this router/modem to flash. This link helped us figure out how to get back to the initial flash page: https://forum.openwrt.org/t/how-to-u...a-em7455/37794

This makes the less expensive router/modem into basically a MoFi 4500. Hope this helps someone else.
Mermaid3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
Livin the Life

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a GL-iNet router as found in gsgriffen's post $40/month unlimited innternet Check post #10 for full instructions.

The solution works great.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
I use a GL-iNet router as found in gsgriffen's post $40/month unlimited innternet Check post #10 for full instructions.

The solution works great.
Allen,
The biggest advantage of the MOFI is that it provides the cell phone function that works way better at receiving the data signal. It provides a dedicated hotspot that you can connect an external antenna to that can greatly increase your data speed. The device you refer to is only a router that will distribute the cellular signal to your devices. The MOFI will do both functions.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #9

Or you can get the KuWfi WE826 already assembled for $135. https://amzn.to/2UDz3nE
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:39 AM   #10

More importantly, this KuWfi supports bands 66 and 71 used by T-Mobile and band 66 used by VZW, ATT and Sprint. The MoFi does not, so you will likely see much better speeds with this one.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #11

Also, the KuWfi in the link is a cat 6 modem and I think the MoFi is a cat 4 modem. This affects the aggregated speed of this router/modem. I believe this cat stuff refers to the router speed but not sure. The two cell antennas can be upgraded to externals, if needed. I also think one of the wifi antennas can be upgraded to external and used to pick up outside wifi to rebroadcast internally inside rv. Could someone please confirm that this?
Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
SkiSmugs, that’s a cat 4 modem, that shows no support for WiFi as Wan. And there is zero info about 5gHi WiFi support and has no 802.11AC support. So we have to assume it is just 2.4ghz only.

Doesn’t look like a very good choice.

I’m referring to the modem you linked to. I see another model is listed as Cat 6. The category of modem is the cell modem standard not a router feature.

Not supporting any 5 ghz WiFi frequencies nor supporting AC WiFi is a serious limitation. And without WiFi as Wan it would be unable to pickup campground WiFi as it’s network connection.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #13

Category 6 devices can get a theoretical maximum of 300Mbps, while Category 4 devices get 150Mbps. So double the speed theoretically.

Here is a link to the Mobile Internet Resource Center's video: Which Jetpack is Best? Understanding LTE Modem Specs
https://youtu.be/sxsEEDsgM3c
Old 12-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #14

https://amzn.to/2UDz3nE
This $135 is a cat 4 lte modem but KiWFi offers a cat 6 lte modem for $160.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This cat 6 modem/router only has 2.4ghz and not supporting any 5 ghz WiFi frequencies. It is able to pick up wifi and send and receive over the 2.4ghz wifi spectrum.
We are mainly in the market for rural cell lte signal where we can rebroadcast that T-Mobile lte signal inside the rv over the router device using a wifi signal or hardwired in. This cat 6 accomplished that goal for less $ than the Mofi but we sacrificed 4.0 Wifi signal. We are looking at getting two external lte antennas and running low loss cables into the KiWFi. Also, I think we can get one external wifi antenna and low loss cable so we can better send and receive 2.4ghz wifi outside our rv.

The cat 6 lte modem in this KiWFi is a Quectel EP06-A mini PCIe. Which bring in this whole system (excluding external antennas and their cabling) at $160 with extra work of flashing firmware and software settings.

Tags
wifi