Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Motorola Droid for RV Travel

Hi all,
Just wanted to give a report on using a Droid in the RV. Last April I stated on a trip and decided I would try to use my Droid for a GPS, Internet Connectivity and Cell phone. So far we have traveled in Arizona, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota and now Montana. Through out the travels I have always had Cell Phone connection, including along US 2 in northern North Dakota and Montana, I have lost data connection a couple of times between town along US 2. The GPS has worked flawlessly, I plan my route using Google Maps on my PC save the route to a My Maps then accessing it on the that map from my Droid. I can then click on a Push Pin, enable the phone GPS and follow the navigation directions. I have also been using the phone for Internet Access for the computers in the coach. This is done using June Fabrics PDANet application which allow the phone to be tethered to a computer and act as a modem. This is done without paying Verizon extra for a data plan as you have to do with a Blackberry, the Droid does require a 30.00 per month unlimited (truly unlimited) data plan to operate in addition to your voice plan.
I run three computers in the coach all Window 7. One of them connects to the Droid and uses Internet connection sharing to share the connection with an wireless access point which is how the other 2 computer get to the internet.

I can report that this setup has worked great over the whole trip. The only issue is that I have to leave the phone in the coach if I go out and the wife wants to use the computers. I think someone starting out in RVing should seriously look at a Droid instead of investing in a separate GPS, WiFi device and Cell Phone. The other thing is Verizon coverage has been outstanding.

Hope this report is useful if anyone wants more info let me know.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdave View Post
The only issue is that I have to leave the phone in the coach if I go out and the wife wants to use the computers.
Dave, I have a partial solution for you. Check out this link.
DECT 6.0 Cordless Phones from VTech®

I have two of these, one for the stick house and one for the RV.

Happy RV'ing
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Oh my ...Are you nuts??? ..I can't leave my Droid anywhere!!!! (SacsTC better hope the park has free Wi-Fi!!!)

itDave... thank you on the update. I did get my Droid a month after I saw you and I love it!! I use it for many things...including a pedometer and also for geo-caching!!

This info now makes it a complete package!
Thanks Dave for the information!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
Dave, I have a partial solution for you. Check out this link.
DECT 6.0 Cordless Phones from VTech®

I have two of these, one for the stick house and one for the RV.

Happy RV'ing
Nice idea but I think those type of phones only work with a land line and then only for a few hundred feet from the base. What I actually do is take the DWs phone since the Droid can make and receive calls when connected to the Internet.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote