Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

MotoSat frustration and Shaw Direct

I'm looking for comments and feedback from Canadian satellite users who are using Shaw Direct (formerly StarChoice) with MotoSat HD. I purchased my Dutch Star MH last June which came with the MotoSat dish & controller. The controller failed and I ended up with a new Nomad SD2 controller from MotoSat.

Since then I have had nothing but frustrations with this setup using Shaw Direct. Apparently MotoSat is having problems with the programming of the Nomad SD2 controller with Shaw Direct & Bell. It can take several attempts to lock on the satellites and even then the signal isn't terribly strong. I've had the dish get knocked off from wind in the evening only to have to do a complete stow & find again (several times) to get the dish locked on again. I'd think I should be able to simply hit find and have it do any adjustments necessary.

What are your experiences with MotoSat with Shaw? Good? Negative?

I'm thinking of switching to Winegard as I've only heard positive things about their dishes from two different satellite tech's but before I push the issue with Newmar I want to make sure I have covered my basis with the current setup first.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Kelly
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

Sorry, can't comment on the MotoSat....however, we have used Shaw/Weingard (HD/PVR) up & down the W. US& Canada for over a year with no problems.

Cheers
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #3

To K. Bolin,

I read with great interest the problems you have had with Motosat the SD2 receiver and Shaw. These problems mirror mine exactly.

We are in Ajo Arizona and on deploying the dish I can watch through the installation option on Star Choice the dish go through 50% consider the 30 and finally ending up at 18% with no picture.

We do not move during the winter, but we have to 'Stow' because of fierce winds when I redeploy the satellite dish the real problem start in finding a signal. One episode I spent (5) hours trying with down loading new software, running the 'Test' process all to no avail. Eventually something clicks and we have TV. It is the most frustrasting system in the coach.

MotoSat does not have an answer for the problems and have basically given no help.

After spending $4,000 I am a very, very unhappy MotoSat customer and looking for an alternative system I can run Star Choice on. The current equipment is destined for the nearest dump.

Jeff Warren
chicasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I am traveling with 3 coaches (friends) that have motosat dishes and use Star Choice without any problems but Star Choice did change the chanel (now 299) that you need to set the reciver on while locating the satalite. I have a Motosat dish copy - made in Canada and it will hunt all over unless I set the reciver to 299 (chanel may change again). They are good dishes and controllers - if working and used properly.
Winegard is a gear dish and tends to get floppy after a while. I even had to design a spring kit to stop my crank up Winegard dish from flopping in the wind (on my previous coach).
You also said they were having trouble with Bell. I find that hard to believe because Bell uses the same LNB system as Dish. Bell dosn't have HD south of the border due to the way the 82. satalite is aimed - for now you can get SD but that might change next year when they launch their new 91 bird.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM
I am traveling with 3 coaches (friends) that have motosat dishes and use Star Choice without any problems but Star Choice did change the chanel (now 299) that you need to set the reciver on while locating the satalite. I have a Motosat dish copy - made in Canada and it will hunt all over unless I set the reciver to 299 (chanel may change again). They are good dishes and controllers - if working and used properly.
Winegard is a gear dish and tends to get floppy after a while. I even had to design a spring kit to stop my crank up Winegard dish from flopping in the wind (on my previous coach).
You also said they were having trouble with Bell. I find that hard to believe because Bell uses the same LNB system as Dish. Bell dosn't have HD south of the border due to the way the 82. satalite is aimed - for now you can get SD but that might change next year when they launch their new 91 bird.
Hi JCM

This is the first I have ever heard of setting the receiver to any specific channel when doing a seek on the dish. This after over TWO dozen calls to MotoSat for support. I purchased the GPS system with the SD2 controller on MotoSats recommendation to help find and lock onto Shaw Direct services.

My comments about Bell are based on what a tech told me.

If this truly works I think you could have a support job at MotoSat. :-)

What do you mean by "dish copy"? A MotoSat clone?

Do you know much about MotoSat and Shaw's 3rd satellite they are planning on using?

I'll keep you posted over the next couple of days as I'll try it out.

Thanks,
Kelly
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Setting the reciver to a specific chanel is required of my Motosat clone "Explorer"- made in Canada. It locks onto the transponder signal that identifies the satalite (older system). Your GPS sytem is newer and worked well for a friend who bought the system at the Redmond Rally. Bell is a circular signal and easier to deal with than Star Choices lineal signal. Same as Dish's. Star Choice is somewhat like Direct TV.
Bell cut the Hi Def signal to the US when they put up their new 82 bird 2 years ago - and amimed it north. They are apparently going to do the same when they put up their new 91. bird later this year.
It sounds like you have talked to the tech who couldn't solve my floppy dish. Consider talking to a good installer - dealer.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #7

Hi again,
This is the first I heard of having to set the Shaw receiver to channel 299. Ironically I found this had strongest channel to see signal strength and do it automatically, not with information for MotoSat.

I do not find by setting the receiver on this channel improves the speed of set up, going to my original note this is where I have seen the strength go from 50% hover over the 30's and eventually land on 18% with no picture.

I have done everything MotoSat requested. I have been back to my satellite dish installer who tell me all is OK. Shaw is unable to increase signal strength on any particulary receiver and the TV is reliant on the signal strength produced by MotoSat. So we go round in circles!!!!!!

All I am asking for is a reliable signal I can tune the TV to, I did not think this was particularly difficult problem in this day and age.

Jeff
chicasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It maybe the GPS is the problem.
My friends have an older unit (2 years) with a Nomad 2 controller - only must select California or when North - BC, Worked fine for them yesterday.
My "copy" tunes to the satalite transponder (identifing signal).
Ours work ok. Simply, there must something wrong with your unit.
Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #9

I've got another tech coming to look at it to see what the problem could be. It's a real mystery, I had the Nomad 2 and it worked fine until it failed completely on me for no real reason. Motosat has the SD2 controller which is 3 generations newer and based on their recommendation went with the gps as well. All I can say is it has been very frustrating.

Crossing my fingers.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

I have a motosat system and a Shaw subscription. I have just returned from 8 weeks down south. I switched from a winegard dome to the Motosat because the Winegard was only good for Bell and I couldn't get HD. The motosat can be a very frustrating system and while sometimes it will find the signal just fine other times it requires multiple tries and reboots (test system). My biggest complaint however is the HD signal strength, I almost always have to watch on the SD channels because the HD signal strength is either too low to get a picture or the picture is too poor to be watchable. I'm wondering if any others have noticed this same problem.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
My friends with a Motosat havn't had a problem. Have you changed its area in the menu?
I have an Explorer system (copy of Motosat) and it has worked well all over southern Arizonia and California.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve
I have a motosat system and a Shaw subscription. I have just returned from 8 weeks down south. I switched from a winegard dome to the Motosat because the Winegard was only good for Bell and I couldn't get HD. The motosat can be a very frustrating system and while sometimes it will find the signal just fine other times it requires multiple tries and reboots (test system). My biggest complaint however is the HD signal strength, I almost always have to watch on the SD channels because the HD signal strength is either too low to get a picture or the picture is too poor to be watchable. I'm wondering if any others have noticed this same problem.
Hi srydve

You are experiencing the same problem I am. Numerous attempts to lock on to satellites to the point that one time it took almost 40 minutes of constant trial and error including numerous test dishes. If the wind blows the dish off a bit I can never simply push find again to reacquire the satellites. Again it means stowing the dish and starting the same frustrating experience all over again.

I do get HD signal but do occasionally get pixelated screens or stuttering of the picture and sound.

It appears the biggest culprit is the poor engineering. This is not my opinion but that of three different techs I have talked to in the past few months. Funny thing, the tech company that MotoSat suggested I contact doesn't even sell motosat anymore because they got tired of customer issues similar to what I'm experiencing and unable to do anything for them.

So, I had a tech check out my system on Friday. Here is his report that was provided to Newmar as my motorhome is still under warranty.

"In regard to the Motosat Shaw satellite system with SD2 controller, not finding Shaw Satellites :
12 volt is proper, GPS, reflector and LNB with arm are in proper distance and condition, mount and motors perform properly.
SD2 controller has proper software version along with various beta type versions provided by Motosat to customer. Customer has exceeded typical troubleshooting of said Motosat satellite system.

The Motosat Shaw satellite system still exhibits same erratic performance as before.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason why this system does not perform as it should, it meets all Motosat specification and performance criteria, in saying that, we have seen this type of problem with other customers.
At this time we have seen no solution for this problem.
Customer originally had a Nomad 2 controller. Motosat upgraded him to the SD2 w/GPS saying this would cure the problem. The intermittent problem still exists today for the customer.
Please let us know how we can help or assist in any other way. Look forward to your response."

So as of this morning Newmar has approved replacing the Motosat system with a Winegard system.

Another point, Shaw Direct has THREE satellites up their now. Winegard now supports 3 ready for when Shaw starts to move programming around. From what I've been told Motosat hasn't started any engineering for the Shaw 3rd satellite. Besides, if they cant find 2 friggen satellites in the sky how are they ever going to find 3? It shouldn't be so difficult

Good bye MotoSat, you won't be missed.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM
My friends with a Motosat havn't had a problem. Have you changed its area in the menu?
I have an Explorer system (copy of Motosat) and it has worked well all over southern Arizonia and California.
Hi JCM

I'm curious what MotoSat dish and controllers they are using? With Shaw as well?

When I used the Nomad 2 controller I did change he area in the menu. My big problem was the Nomad 2 failed completely and MotoSat doesn't make it anymore or sell them. SD2 controller is useless.

Kelly
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

I am using a nomad 2 controller, thanks for the information that the sd 2 with gps works no better, I was thinking about that, now I'll just save my money. I have discovered more information about the lack of good signal in the southern states. My motosat is the mcs60 which has a 60 cm dish, for southern reception Shaw recomends the 75e dish which is 75 cm. So far my inquiries indicate that it is very difficult to change the mount to the 75e. The quest for HD tv continues.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote