Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Moving Map for Laptop?

Does anyone know of a software program that one might install on a laptop, plug in a USB GPS puck and have a moving map for the co pilot?

The GPS puck that I have is the US Global Sat BU353

Many of these programs are free and fairly common in boating and aviation but I have not seen one for the road that uses a laptop.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Delorme Street Atlas . . . Microsoft Streets and Trips
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Co-Pilot.. (Add to list) I use Microsoft S&T.. All the map programs for use on laptops (near as I can tell and I've used a fair selection) have the ability to read a GPS dongle.. (You need the GPS dongle too, or an interfaced GPS receiver) and do exactly what you want.

They can also draw seleced roads in GREEN, tell you when a turn is coming up (Though S&T is a bit soft spoken on my computers) and so on.. The roads in GREEN is the path you follow.

One caution.. If you use the software to choose your route.

Streets and Trips is very well named.. Because of a feature it shares with most all the others (Co-Pilot pro version may be the exception here since it is designed for OTR Semi Drivers)

Sometimes it takes you down nice wide, well paved, Streets
And sometimes it takes you on a TRIP (Think bad Acid)

So "Fly" the route via the net before you drive it. Cottonwood Canyon Drive is not a road you want to take a class A down (in Utah).
Old 09-30-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Unfortunately MS S&T is discontinued. A Google search showed nothing yet to replace it. Also, DeLorme is getting bad reviews too. "Clunky and on it's last legs".
Old 09-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Microsoft discontinued theirs (Streets and trips) you might find a copy on e-bay.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Sygic is software that is available in the Windows store that should do what you want.

I have used it for four years on all of our Android devices for my original $27 license fee.

It is also available in the apple store if that is your type of laptop.

GPS Navigation | Features
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Waze app is free and great
jumpmaster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:37 AM   #8

What I need is a Windows compatible program so DW can watch a moving map pass before her eyes on the laptop. Free would be good.

I have apps for my phone including WAZE which I keep running about 12" from my nose using this cup holder gadget I got from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone h.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	108837