Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #57

How I Feel after Reading this!!!! -

Don't think I'm Alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	business-cartoon-illustration-of-a-business-man-pulling-his-hair-out-JD09R6.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	216008  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
How I Feel after Reading this!!!! -

Don't think I'm Alone.
Just try to keep up. [emoji16]
Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Just try to keep up. [emoji16]
Oh I was left in the Dust LONG AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM   #60

There's been much talk of data throttling and the advantages/disadvantages of Verizon vs. ATT. It sounds as if ATT is the better option.

For perspective, California wildfire firefighters had a Verizon "unlimited" plan that was throttled severely hampering their wildfire-fighting efforts. Verizon is "sorry." Read the fine print.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #61

Cinergi, this is the setup I’m looking at as well (also looking at cradlepoint and Pepwave Max for routers). Have you figured out your antenna cable routing? I’d rather not have to shove it through the wall slide gasket every time I set up camp and was thinking about installing a weather proof coax outlet somewhere like the exterior cable rv outlet, but have no idea how to do it and what parts are needed. Thoughts?
Skyjockey67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 AM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have found the Chromecast to be very reliable and the resolution better than others.

I am watching Directv NOT Directv Now. The Directv app is free. If the steam is good enough, I can then watch my record shows on my Genie at home.

One more, to watch Directv app, you need to use the google home app to then mirror your device onto the TV through chromecast. Then open Directv app. Pick live steam and it will open full screen on TV.
JimmyB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjockey67 View Post
Cinergi, this is the setup I’m looking at as well (also looking at cradlepoint and Pepwave Max for routers). Have you figured out your antenna cable routing? I’d rather not have to shove it through the wall slide gasket every time I set up camp and was thinking about installing a weather proof coax outlet somewhere like the exterior cable rv outlet, but have no idea how to do it and what parts are needed. Thoughts?
I plan on something like this -- but the wall in question I think is too thick but I haven't looked into it much yet.

https://www.amazon.com/outstanding-S...head+connector

Right now I'm running it through the driver's window using a 2" thick piece of foam and routing the cables through the center of the foam and closing the window on the foam.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 AM   #64

"Right now I'm running it through the driver's window using a 2" thick piece of foam and routing the cables through the center of the foam and closing the window on the foam. [emoji4]"

The simple, cheap solution is to buy this WISP router & place it near a window. If more reception is needed replace the antennae with larger ones. Available for $45 on Amazon. Click image for larger version

Name:	myscreen_0.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	216102
OnNTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #65

This is using just the Directv app.....
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #66

Thanks Cinergi for your leadership here, I just bought the MOFI and have it running my Verizon iPhone sim card. Runs my work computer, IP phone, and the WIFI network. Just using the Ethernet connection stopped dropped pings immediately. Best speed so far 40/20 using the inside antennas. I ordered 2 Proxycast spring mount 24" antennas, they should take care of any weak signals. Expensive setup but worth it.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
My new high speed unlimited Internet setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlee View Post
Johnontberoad - please provide a little more information about the AT&T car plan with the United modem. I know about the in car Wi-Fi but I do not know what the United modem is. Is this a sim card type of modem? Is there a model number to look up and purchase?
John

Sorry, missed your question... I have a United Explore device. It shows on my ATT account so ATT “knows” I’m using it on my Connected Car Plan. Last month, I used 150GB data, this month probably 60GB, next month I’m parked and it will be zero. I do stream quite a bit, and I also do photography and move a lot of images up and down.

My monthly usage dropped because of two things:

I always try to find an open WiFi connection first, and 2 months ago I was in the boonies, this month I can find more usable open WiFi using my WiFiRanger; and

I started using more DTVNow where my data is not measured.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:59 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlee View Post
Johnontberoad - please provide a little more information about the AT&T car plan with the United modem. I know about the in car Wi-Fi but I do not know what the United modem is. Is this a sim card type of modem? Is there a model number to look up and purchase?
John
Actually it's not a "united" modem - that maybe why you're having trouble searching for it. It's a Unite MiFi. It's a cellular device for data only and offers wifi connections to up to 10 devices at a time (I think it's 10).

Yes, you put a SIM card in the Unite and this is what Johnontberoad is referring to. He takes the SIM card out of his Mobley device and puts it in the Unite Mifi. Since the Mobley SIM is activated on the $20 Unlimited Connected Car plan that plan become accessible on the Unite Mifi device once the SIM card is inserted.

In the Mobley you don't get the latest LTE Band coverage nor do you have antenna ports. Plus the Mobley only lets you connect 5-devices to it's wifi. Also, there is no display on the Mobley- just two led lights. So you can't see signal strength or any other information. But on the Unite Mifi you have the latest LTE bands, full display for signal strength and data usage. In my experience the Unite is about 50% faster than the Mobley as well. Plus the Mobley has no battery and must be powered to work while the Unite has a pretty long battery life.

Also, the Unite has two TS-9 antenna ports which allow you to connect it to a MIMO antenna like the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna. This $29 antenna works EXTREMELY well with any MiFi device that has dual TS-9 antenna ports. I find it out performs my WeBoost Cell Booster many times.

Here's a link to the Unite Mifi device. It's made by Netgear and there are multiple models. The older Unite 770S, the Unite Pro and the Unite Explore (I believe the Explore is the top of the line model). ATT doesn't seem to sell these any longer, not can you add a MiFi to an existing "Unlimited" phone plan any longer. They stopped offering that option at the beginning of Summer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR7ETHY
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually it's not a "united" modem - that maybe why you're having trouble searching for it. It's a Unite MiFi. It's a cellular device for data only and offers wifi connections to up to 10 devices at a time (I think it's 10).

Yes, you put a SIM card in the Unite and this is what Johnontberoad is referring to. He takes the SIM card out of his Mobley device and puts it in the Unite Mifi. Since the Mobley SIM is activated on the $20 Unlimited Connected Car plan that plan become accessible on the Unite Mifi device once the SIM card is inserted.

In the Mobley you don't get the latest LTE Band coverage nor do you have antenna ports. Plus the Mobley only lets you connect 5-devices to it's wifi. Also, there is no display on the Mobley- just two led lights. So you can't see signal strength or any other information. But on the Unite Mifi you have the latest LTE bands, full display for signal strength and data usage. In my experience the Unite is about 50% faster than the Mobley as well. Plus the Mobley has no battery and must be powered to work while the Unite has a pretty long battery life.

Also, the Unite has two TS-9 antenna ports which allow you to connect it to a MIMO antenna like the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna. This $29 antenna works EXTREMELY well with any MiFi device that has dual TS-9 antenna ports. I find it out performs my WeBoost Cell Booster many times.

Here's a link to the Unite Mifi device. It's made by Netgear and there are multiple models. The older Unite 770S, the Unite Pro and the Unite Explore (I believe the Explore is the top of the line model). ATT doesn't seem to sell these any longer, not can you add a MiFi to an existing "Unlimited" phone plan any longer. They stopped offering that option at the beginning of Summer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR7ETHY
I read on hofo that if you have one if those eBay spawned plans the Sim card has to be plugged into an iPad at billing time.??? This is something new.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I read on hofo that if you have one if those eBay spawned plans the Sim card has to be plugged into an iPad at billing time.??? This is something new.
Virtually all of the "line renters" you find on the internet are renting business lines that were intended for commercial use in iPads/tablets. I don't use those plans because they are being rented in violation of the ATTs terms of use. As such they can go away instantly at any time.

Though for many folks they work well. Keep in mind the folks renting them are fairly fly by night. And, they're making a huge markup but still they do fill a need.

I've heard that folks need to put the SIM card in an iPad or a iPhone (depending on the plan) when the contract renews. Not for monthly billing. But maybe you've seen something else.

Tags
internet