Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

My old motosat failed what's a good rooftop system to replace it with

My motosat has failed, should I look for a used system or go new for a rooftop mount
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #2

I have been told to get a dish tailgater, but I'd just as soon have a rooftop so its out of the way and I can just power it up instead of trying to find a place to store the tailgater, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
My motosat has failed, should I look for a used system or go new for a rooftop mount

If it were me, I would look at the RF Mogul.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

OK what is the RF Mogul ?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJeep View Post
OK what is the RF Mogul ?

Here it is:

http://rfmogul.com/Mobile_Satellite_TV.html

These guys built up MotoSat and when the company was bought out the new owners gave these guys the boot and promptly ran the company into the ground.

Mogul seems to be a well run company.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
JDT

Some recommend the DISH Tailgater. I have one and really can't say that I would. Mine has worked great at times and other times not, for no apparent reason. The last time we used it was a few weeks ago on a two week trip. The first week it worked great but then it quit and I could not get it restarted. I changed its position and used a shorter cord and it started working again. Go figure. I have the ladder mount that I try to use when possible but it is rather cumbersome getting it up there and a little scary for my aging body.

I am considering the Winegard Pathway X1 and X2. The X1 is a little small and I worry about reception but it can be permanently roof mounted. The X2 is quite a bit larger and works very well from what I have read but has to be placed on a stand or something level. I am thinking about the X1 to roof mount and keeping the Tailgater for when I am parked under an obstruction. The upside to the X1 and X2 (and the Tailgater) is the lower cost compared to most.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

OK thank you both Steve & JDT,

I know the tailgater is smaller, but finding a place to store it and haul it around us not something I want to bother with. I have a spit on the roof that the motosat is in right now I would think that would be the better way to go, I'll check out RF Mogul, hopefully the prices are reasonable. I'm just now starting my research since the motosat just quit working last week. Any thoughts about the dome systems ?
Old 11-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

MotoSAT is no longer in business. However, MotoSAT used to make a rooftop automatic dishes . . .
  • To access the Internet (also called MotoSAT Datastorm)
  • To receive DISH or DirecTV programming
Both types of MotoSAT dishes are listed here.

RF Mogul makes rooftop automatic dishes for DISH, DirecTV, and Shaw that are similar to the Winegard Travler.

Also, RF Mogul sells controllers for old MotoSAT dishes and for General Dynamics sat dishes. All this stuff is to access the Internet.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Hi TW,

I know MotoSAT is no longer in business I've been babying mine along for two years, its a 2007 system and its finally shot. I called RF Mogul last year and they wanted $$$ just for the controller box. So I'm trying to find alternate systems that I can replace the outdated system with.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Winegard Carryout G2 with roof mount can be bought for around $600.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #11

Hey John, thanks for the info, I'll look that over as well as the info from RF Mogul.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Winegard Carryout portable for those under the trees parking spots and it works great. It is easy to set up and works on both Dish and DirecTV. All you have to do is change dip switches inside. A drawback is it has a separate 12v power cord that has to be powered.

I also have a Pathway X1 mounted on the roof. It also works well and locks onto the satellites reliably and receives its power through the coax. The drawbacks are it only works on Dish network and only receives the western arc satellites.

The new Carryout G2 works with both providers and it too needs a separate power source. It looks like a blend of the original Carryout and the Pathway X1.

The drawback to both is signal strength. Just about any of the automatic domes are quicker to drop signal in inclement weather than the larger antennas.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Thanks Lt Dan,

My big issue is being able to use the roof mount, and not have to use valuable basement storage. Thank you for your input , do you know anyone in Phoenix, AZ that you would recommend ?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I have a Winegard Carryout portable for those under the trees parking spots and it works great. It is easy to set up and works on both Dish and DirecTV. All you have to do is change dip switches inside. A drawback is it has a separate 12v power cord that has to be powered.

I also have a Pathway X1 mounted on the roof. It also works well and locks onto the satellites reliably and receives its power through the coax. The drawbacks are it only works on Dish network and only receives the western arc satellites.

The new Carryout G2 works with both providers and it too needs a separate power source. It looks like a blend of the original Carryout and the Pathway X1.

The drawback to both is signal strength. Just about any of the automatic domes are quicker to drop signal in inclement weather than the larger antennas.
Thanks for sharing this. Not my thread or usually where I go for information so forgive me for butting in, but since I am considering the X1 for roof mounting this helps a bunch. I did email Winegard and was told the G2 and the X1 are pretty much the same size and the inner workings are similar. I personally don't think Direct is very rv friendly, at least in my experience, so staying with Dish is not a problem for me. I'm pretty sure the X1 bundle with the receiver and roof mount kit are in my future. I did find out there are two cables available on my roof for a satellite antenna but no 12 volt source so the X1 makes better sense. By the way, we have 2 little Boston's who are great travelers.

Jeff, let us know what you do.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, roof