Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

NAS for my RV

Hi,
I started out withe a WD 3TBHDD and NAS built into one package it worked great until I outgrew the capacity. I purchased an F2 from TerraMaster and realized I actually needed the F4-200 which I purchased but have been struggling with for several months.
My F4 has 4x4TB internal drives and 2 3TB external USB connected drives.
I keep all my multi-media (pictures, Videos, Movies, TV-Shows, Music, etc.) on them. After all the tech emails to China and their connecting at odd hours and days I am about to return it for a refund as the list of failures is growing by the day.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable priced 4 or 6 bay NAS?
Thanks for the assist people.
SquireDude
MousePad II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #2

I've been a fan of Qnap products for years.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousePad II View Post
Hi,
I started out withe a WD 3TBHDD and NAS built into one package it worked great until I outgrew the capacity. I purchased an F2 from TerraMaster and realized I actually needed the F4-200 which I purchased but have been struggling with for several months.
My F4 has 4x4TB internal drives and 2 3TB external USB connected drives.
I keep all my multi-media (pictures, Videos, Movies, TV-Shows, Music, etc.) on them. After all the tech emails to China and their connecting at odd hours and days I am about to return it for a refund as the list of failures is growing by the day.
Thanks for the assist people.
SquireDude
I have a two bay Synology that I am happy with. They have larger models also.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
+1 - Would look at QNAP or Synology - I've been happy with my QNAP "2 bay 251+ - nice size for the motorhome" Started with Raid 1 @ 3 TB / now using 8 TB drives - was able to upgrade on the fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MousePad II View Post
Hi,
Google "external hard drive shucking"
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
+1 - Would look at QNAP or Synology - I've been happy with my QNAP "2 bay 251+ - nice size for the motorhome" Started with Raid 1 @ 3 TB / now using 8 TB drives - was able to upgrade on the fly.

Google "external hard drive shucking"
What a waste to save a few bucks.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #6

A little different approach and not sure this is what the OP is after. I have a Synology NAS in the S&B and used to run similar in the coach. About a year ago I switched the MH to an Odroid H2 with an ssd for the OS and two 5TB 2.5" drives running Windows 10. Primarily it's my Plex server but also I utilize the drives as general NAS storage for two laptops we have when we travel. Odroid runs on 12 volts through a 12 volt to 15 volt converter and is pretty energy efficient (<2 amps with the drives spinning). The whole thing including drives ran me about $350. I have the Odroid connected to the front TV with a wireless keyboard for any maintenance I want to do but most of the time it's running headless. I have two Plex clients connected via ethernet for the front and bedroom tv's. If you just wanted a NAS with raid you could use the Odroid running Linux and Open Media Vault.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/
Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
What a waste to save a few bucks.
It was a shell game WD played several years ago / not so much now "they actually put the exact same drive in them" - I got 4 red hard drives and saved over $350 to 400 for them. I just play the game based off what the MFG does.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
A little different approach and not sure this is what the OP is after. I have a Synology NAS in the S&B and used to run similar in the coach. About a year ago I switched the MH to an Odroid H2 with an ssd for the OS and two 5TB 2.5" drives running Windows 10. Primarily it's my Plex server but also I utilize the drives as general NAS storage for two laptops we have when we travel. Odroid runs on 12 volts through a 12 volt to 15 volt converter and is pretty energy efficient (<2 amps with the drives spinning). The whole thing including drives ran me about $350. I have the Odroid connected to the front TV with a wireless keyboard for any maintenance I want to do but most of the time it's running headless. I have two Plex clients connected via ethernet for the front and bedroom tv's. If you just wanted a NAS with raid you could use the Odroid running Linux and Open Media Vault.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/
Thanks for posting the info - like the form factor - Have a similar setup for the home backup server but running on an Asus Intel I 5 headless which is over kill
Old 06-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #9

We use Unraid OS for larger NAS systems. You just put a big drive as the Parity drive. All rest of disks can be of different sizes and hotswapped out. Boots off of USB drive.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I'm a big Synology fan. Get one with + at the end of the model number for all the features. Having a Plex server in your RV is really nice, since streaming off RV park wifi is usually impossible.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
It was a shell game WD played several years ago / not so much now "they actually put the exact same drive in them" - I got 4 red hard drives and saved over $350 to 400 for them. I just play the game based off what the MFG does.
Same with Seagate 2.5" drives. A 5TB 2.5" bare drive is $$$ but you can get a 5TB external drive for <$100 on sale and take the drive out of it. It's the same drive. Why a bare drive costs so much more is beyond me. I have two in the MH and they've been running trouble free for several years. I find myself going away from RAID arrays these days. My media files are all backed up on another system. The really important stuff I just keep on One Drive. My buddy just had his 6 bay Qnap fail on him and it wasn't pretty.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #12

I have a 2 and 4 bay Synology NAS in my home. The bigger one runs 18 security cameras.

My concern in a RV is the temperature when it isn’t occupied. If the NAS only runs when the RV is being used the heat shouldn’t be a problem.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
I have a 2 and 4 bay Synology NAS in my home. The bigger one runs 18 security cameras.

My concern in a RV is the temperature when it isn’t occupied. If the NAS only runs when the RV is being used the heat shouldn’t be a problem.
That and vibration which is one of the reasons I migrated to 2.5” drives. Yes they are slower but more than fast enough to support Plex at 1080p. I don’t need 4K in the RV. Then again I’m not a fulltimer.