Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #1

Need internet advice - Yellowstone Refugee

I work in Yellowstone Park and just lost my position because of the flooding disaster. My company will give me another position at a location that was not affected but...... I need internet for a business I operate online.

The situation in Yellowstone is that there is cell signal in certain limited areas but it is all but worthless. There is plenty of signal but no bandwidth. All of the cell service and internet comes via microwave towers and there is no wire or fiber pulled through in the park.

Are there services I can use that will provide reasonably fast internet by satellite?
I see some but wonder about their quality. The only company that is at all reliable here is Verizon. Even with my internal hotspot the bankwidth is not adequate to do most anything.
kmx888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #2

Check out the Starlink threads on the technology forum here.....its pricey upfront for the hardware but service is for most quite good. You do need a clear view of the northern sky though, so lots of tree cover will be a problem.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:26 PM   #3

Look into Iridium. They were the first low earth orbit satellite system and the only one to cover the entire globe. They are targeting industry and maritime but they may have something with down to earth pricing.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:57 PM   #4

Starlink is likely going to be the only cost effective option.

There are other satellite internet providers out there, but cost climbs fast.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

Starlink, hands down best option, they have a new RV plan that is marketed to seasonal RV users (you can pay by the monthly billing period, which is great for people with fiber internet at home in the non-travel season), best of all the RV plan is available to ship right away so you should get it within a week or two. (cost of the RV plan is I think $10 per month higher than the home plan with roaming enabled, I think $135 per month, plus $600 equipment up front). The downside of Starlink is the dish needs to be placed in a location with clear view of the sky in all directions above about 25 degrees above the horizon, so it is not good for an campground with a lot of trees. The dish ships with a 75 ft cable, though a 150 ft cable is optional for about $100, which lets you move it around a little to get clear line of sight. See this recent youtube video complaining about lack of coverage when surrounded by trees in a campground, note this issue should get better over time as more satellites are launched (another 59 were launched this morning, putting the total count at nearly 2,000 in orbit).

Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

Take a look at the Stalink availability map on their website. Coverage & availability west of the Mississippi is much better than what is available in the east.
Other options to consider are commercial grade cellular modem/routers with band aggregation. I use Peplink products.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmx888 View Post
I work in Yellowstone Park and just lost my position because of the flooding disaster. My company will give me another position at a location that was not affected but...... I need internet for a business I operate online.

The situation in Yellowstone is that there is cell signal in certain limited areas but it is all but worthless. There is plenty of signal but no bandwidth. All of the cell service and internet comes via microwave towers and there is no wire or fiber pulled through in the park.

Are there services I can use that will provide reasonably fast internet by satellite?
I see some but wonder about their quality. The only company that is at all reliable here is Verizon. Even with my internal hotspot the bankwidth is not adequate to do most anything.
I went to mobilemusthave.com and purchased their Ultimate Road Warrior package with the Parsec Husky 7 antenna. We've been in RV parks where there was no cell phone coverage from any of the providers and with the standard Ultimate Road Warrior package and the included standard dipole antennas I can affirm that we had zero signal. We then attached the router to the Parsec antenna and were able to watch streaming HD TV with no buffering. After that experience we actually had the Parsec antenna mounted on the roof of our class A and absolutely love it.
raboud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, internet, yellowstone