Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
I prefer Toshiba's. Have several of them and have never had any issues with the hardware. They invented the laptop..,,
Isn't Toshiba one of only three PC laptop manufacturers in the world? I seem to remember reading that most others are made by those three manufacturers, to the brand specs, and labeled accordingly.
We have a Dell, donno who makes them; anyway, if we could buy another today it would be Toshiba, Acer, or Apple-if one of us hits the lottery.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #30

I still use my 5-year ols emachines desktop at home. but DW got an ASUS netbook, which we use when we're travelling. It's pretty good for basic Internet work and was less than $350.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #31

I have been reading all replies with great interest because we are in the process of purchasing a laptop to use when we travel in our motorhome. We have a desktop at home that is only a few years old and purchased Outlook 2007 for our email software. We would like to be able to load the same Outlook 2007 software on the new laptop and access our emails while on the road. Our question is can we load the 2007 Outlook software on the laptop or are we going to have to purchase another Outlook 2007 for the laptop?
Is it possible to access and manage emails, contacts etc from two separate computers? We don't want another email address because we run a small business and the email address that we have is established with our customers.

Thanks to all that can give us suggestions and/or advice.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #32

I can see no reason why you can't load it on your laptop. The obvious is that email downloaded on the laptop will not be on the desktop unless you do like I do when using two computers - when going back to my other laptop I forward those I want back to me so I have them. (I have to use my old computer when I have no wi-fi because windows 7 will not allow me to use my older phone as a modem). The option would be to read your email on the web instead of downloading it.

If you buy a new computer with Windows 7 chances are it will come with outlook 2007 on it as a trial. Mine came Microsoft Office 2007 trial which includes outlook but I deleted it and installed my office 2003 that I use on both computers.

I use IncrediMail for my mail. I like it better than Outlook or Outlook Express.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use Yahoo Mail so no matter where I go or what computer I am using, my email is there until I delete it.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jol912 View Post
Those Microsoft models are ok, but my personal opinion is you can't beat a Mac. Never have to worry about virus and the dreaded Norton software, easy to use, reliable, yes a little pricy, but worth every penny. I will never have anything but a Mac. For fun times the Ipad is great too. Very portable but not good for serious work. So before you buy, at least take a look at the Macs. I have never met a Mac user that was unhappy! Happy shopping.
X2 -NEVER a problem
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
X2 -NEVER a problem
No doubt they are a good machine but there was NO software for amateur radio apps. Now, of course, you can get adapter S/W that will run windows stuff. But, I am used to MS stuff. BTW, I worked at a place (MicroRel and we had one of the first MACs in the early 80's. In fact one of the engineers knew one of the people at Apple and he got on the early buy list. It was not well documented nor did it have much software.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We both had Sony notebooks. Hers broke, mine didn't. Then we both got HP notebooks. Hers broke, mine didn't. Now she has a Dell, I still have the HP. Must be bad luck for DW 'cause we don't use or treat then any different.

At work I work on notebooks (and desktops). Most are either Dell or HP but the company used IBM Thinkpads, now Lenovo for years. Major brands seem the same to me. Most problems are either OS, dropped it or spilled something on it.

Macs are certainly good machines but the price tag reflects it and software selection can be a problem.

About Outlook, great program but way more than you need for just email. If you read the EULA it prolly says to install on 1 computer. For the money you should be able to install it on every computer in your town IMHO. So just try it. Bill Gates and company might catch up to you but worse case scenario you uninstall it and either use something else or pay up.

If you are using an older laptop (notebook really because they get too hot on your lap without a cooler) Ubuntu Linux works great for just web surfing and email. Best part is it is free. I am using an older Dell right now with Ubuntu and it is plenty fast enough for this.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #37

Actually one can do a LOT of serious work with an iPad. Admittedly it does take some getting used to and some compromises but I travel up to 150 days per year on business and since implementing the iPad I seldom take a laptop along any more. I am in the Phoenix airport on my iPad as I write this. Just my experience, also love my iBook pro.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #38

You might want to rethink using Outlook at all, and go to either Windows Live Mail or Gmail (Both of course are FREE). After being an Outlook user since the mid 90's I finally said no more to having to buy a new version of the software in order to upgrade operating systems. Live mail or Gmail allow me to check multiple email accounts on one screen from any of my computers. All of the email stays on the email servers unless I want to store it locally.

What I did like about Outlook was the integration of the components and the sync ability to windows based phones. The flip of that of course is that Outlook was about the only thing the phone would sync with. Another MS gotcha.

And while you may install Outlook on multiple computers, I suspect it violates their end user license agreements.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #39

Have bounced the same Toshiba over the roads for almost seven years (mounted on a Ram brand computer stand in the cab) Using Co-pilot for navigation and VZN air card for all other programs
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote