Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #1

Need new RV GPS

New to fifth wheeling and thinking that I will need a new GPS with RV friendly information because of the 13’ 5 height more than anything, would appreciate all info on the best ones for RVing routes and information.
jimbob48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #2

GPS

Just bought a Garmin 2557 7" and the microSD with the truck & RV info. It has lifetime maps and trafic too. Check Walmart and EBay. At 13'5" you gonna be the tallest thing on the road, you sure about the measurement.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #3

The rand McNally is an excellent gps. One is made for rv's.
southwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #4

I have the Rand McNally also; on my RV GPS there is a section that list checklist for both the RV and vehicle. Which I have compared to my manual check list I created when we first start to camp. These are very close to each other and good for a newer 5er user; in my humble opinion. Defiantly get the life time map updates this is well worth the extra fee if not included for free when you purchase one.

The GPS will route you around tunnels and low overpasses + the unit will inform you that some of the roadways are toll roads which you can route around if you so choose.

Jim W.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I like the Garmin truck & RV GPS. There are several models. All allow you to set it up based on the height and length of your rig so that you don't end up in places you don't want to be (low bridges, low tunnels, roads with weight limits, etc.). Garmin offers free lifetime map updates and updates their maps about four times a year. (Make sure the gps you are looking at comes with the free updates or purchase them.)
bbbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

Garmin

Garmin all the way remember they have the maps they sell to the other people to build there units wake up people just like generators get what You pay for right? I also have Hondas....But do want to buy a 7" Garmin what is the comment about the small chip I always buy new about every 3-5 years keep up You mite say with the new tec. did hear a 7"is as big as You can get as a dash mount...some law on the books some where
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Howdy!

If you have a smartphne or tablet take a look at CoPilot GPS Navigation for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8 and Laptop it has a RV setting.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chiefneon, is the RV setting a part of the truck specific product or a setting for the personal product?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #9

Keystone list it at 12' 9 and had vent covers installed and truck height checked it on wal mart lot with level from top of all vent covers and ac the tallest was 13'2 so I just add a couple inches just in case. The height is the one thing I do not like with the new fifth wheel. Going out west and thinking I may not get to use the secondary roads because of it. Will the Garmin 2557 warn you of heights if you do not have the route plan in place?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #10

Not trying to be a smaht as$, but what about tree limbs? 13.5 ft is pretty tall. When we go to visit our kids we take a pole saw. And sneak in at night, I am not kidding. Our mh is about 12.5 ft.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
If you have an iPad that is capable of going on the cellular network you can buy the Rand RV GPS for $99, run it on your iPad and you will have a huge screen and Rv-specific features. You don't need to be using the cellular either--it's just that those models also have a GPS receiver built in.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
Chiefneon, is the RV setting a part of the truck specific product or a setting for the personal product?
Howdy!

The personal Co-Pilot is just fine if your RV is 13' and under and they all have a RV setting. I have used it for years and you can personally set the hieght up to 13'. I have a new Toy Hauler 5er now and it is 13'6" tall so I purchased the Co-Pilot truck app and it has also worked well. The truck app verison is much more expensive than the personal one.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #13

What kind of saw do you have because I have already been where I need one
Old 11-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob48 View Post
What kind of saw do you have because I have already been where I need one
saw?