Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Need some advice - I have AT&T

Happy Saturday everyone!

I need some advice as I'm not entirely sure what I am looking for just yet. I am newly full-time in my RV.

I have AT&T for cell service and use my phone as a hotspot because the internet at the RV park isn't great (and I don't see any reason to try their "upgraded" option).

I have unlimited phone data with 5GB of hotspot data. This will be the first full month of using my phone only for WIFI.

I am considering getting another hotspot to keep in the RV so I can run my dog temp sensor and (eventually) a TV. I will be staying in this RV park until January of next year (due to work).

Any recommendations or things to watch out for?

Thanks!
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
High Road Travelers's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 1,342
You will probably get some good responses from people who know a good bit about this subject. I am not one of the real technical people, but can relay my experience.
I got in on a special deal with T-Mobile for their "Home Internet" system and use it at home in east Texas and on the road. At home it is not as good as cable internet, but it works well enough for us working on a laptop, iPad, two phones and streaming on TV. I recently took it on a month long tour of Arkansas and it worked at each of the 6 stops we made. However, that is my only experience with it, so I don't know how well it works in the rest of the country. The special deal I received was a locked in price of $25 per month; normally it is $50 per month.
T-Mobile also makes a Mi-Fi Hotspot traveling device that I believe is $50 per month and I tried it also and it worked very well. I assume that Verizon and AT&T also have these traveling hotspot devices, but am not sure.
If you depend on having good Wi-Fi for remote work purposes, I do not believe these devices would work well enough for you.
Thanks,
__________________
Wade & Debby Griffin
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA, Ford F53 24K Chassis
2012 Jeep Liberty
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
lllkrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,600
First of all 5gb of hot spot data won't last very long if you do any streaming or WIFI data usage. As suggested check into a T-Mobile Home Internet plan for your area. It's inexpensive, usually fast, and unlimited.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Manhattan (Little Apple) Kansas
Posts: 2,305
I would say to check out the T-Mobile home internet and the Terms of Service says you can use mobile as you travel but currently they are not enforcing it. In my opinion, two sources for truly UNLIMITED internet that are worth looking into one is the FMCA AT@T and the Calyx Institute T-Mobile. FMCA is 65.00 a month and Calyx is 750 for the first year and 500 after that for 5G service.e

Then there is Starlink at 150 a month and 599 for equipment.
__________________
2017 Newmar LE 4037 - 2020 Jeep Rubicon
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 264
Iíd vote for starlink. Yes, more expensive but I have found it to be fast and reliable. It just simply works.
__________________
Rob Hentges

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
appsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 308
My first though is that you said you didn't see any reason to try the RV park upgrade, yet you didn't give any specifications about that they offer and how much per month. I would recommend you look into that first, since you are going to be there for some time and it would give you time to research other options once you move on.

We spend half the year at an RV park with free guest wifi that is fine for a short stay, but varies from 2-5mbs depending on how full the park is, and "Premium wifi". Premium costs $45 a month after a $150 equipment purchase or $55 a month renting the equipment. The speeds on that premium network are 60+ mbs down, 40+ mbs up most of the time, sometimes 50/30 at peak times. (The park has a direct fiber connection and has made a significant investment in the internal wifi network to support those speeds.)

We have 5G service with Visible (part of Verizon) that has unlimited data and tethering at 5mbs speed, with no limit for $35 a month (subject to prioritization at peak demand times) and that serves as our main connection when traveling, either through our router or direct tether. We also have a TMobile 4G hot spot that we can use if in an area with poor Verizon service, and I can change the data plan when needed.

I keep doing the numbers on Starlink, but can't justify it when we have half the year at good speeds for $45 a month. Several other seasonal residents here have Starlink and everyone I have talked with said it is great. If we were traveling all the time and had to have fast service then Starlink would be my choice.
__________________
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Jeep Wrangler
appsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 03:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: on the road / Frostproof
Posts: 262
We have AT&T also . Unlimited phone and data . We have used the phone for our hot stop for 4 years now . If I have one bar it may buffer . We have a app that allows us to get our cable provider thru the phone . If I can not get over the air tv , I'll setup thru the app . Have a dongell to tv and no problems so far .
__________________
Jim 2016 Forza 34 T 2014 Honda CRV
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:41 PM   #8
Community Moderator


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,105
Have you checked out this thread? I have been using it for several years now.

$25/month unlimited internet....interested?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/25-month-unlimited-internet-interested-442091.html
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 3,406
Unless you know what service is available, I would wait until you get there. Talk to your neighbors and find what the service is like for the big 3?
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
Kia Soul pushing a 36' DP Endeavor
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:29 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Road Travelers View Post
You will probably get some good responses from people who know a good bit about this subject. I am not one of the real technical people, but can relay my experience.
I got in on a special deal with T-Mobile for their "Home Internet" system and use it at home in east Texas and on the road. At home it is not as good as cable internet, but it works well enough for us working on a laptop, iPad, two phones and streaming on TV. I recently took it on a month long tour of Arkansas and it worked at each of the 6 stops we made. However, that is my only experience with it, so I don't know how well it works in the rest of the country. The special deal I received was a locked in price of $25 per month; normally it is $50 per month.
T-Mobile also makes a Mi-Fi Hotspot traveling device that I believe is $50 per month and I tried it also and it worked very well. I assume that Verizon and AT&T also have these traveling hotspot devices, but am not sure.
If you depend on having good Wi-Fi for remote work purposes, I do not believe these devices would work well enough for you.
Thanks,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am open to trying almost anything as long as it doesn't cost a fortune!
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:32 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
First of all 5gb of hot spot data won't last very long if you do any streaming or WIFI data usage. As suggested check into a T-Mobile Home Internet plan for your area. It's inexpensive, usually fast, and unlimited.
Thanks. I will check it out.
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:33 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hentges View Post
Iíd vote for starlink. Yes, more expensive but I have found it to be fast and reliable. It just simply works.
Thanks. I will definitely check it out. I know very little about WIFI options, and even less about StarLink other than people say it works great.
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:40 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsol View Post
My first though is that you said you didn't see any reason to try the RV park upgrade, yet you didn't give any specifications about that they offer and how much per month. I would recommend you look into that first, since you are going to be there for some time and it would give you time to research other options once you move on.

We spend half the year at an RV park with free guest wifi that is fine for a short stay, but varies from 2-5mbs depending on how full the park is, and "Premium wifi". Premium costs $45 a month after a $150 equipment purchase or $55 a month renting the equipment. The speeds on that premium network are 60+ mbs down, 40+ mbs up most of the time, sometimes 50/30 at peak times. (The park has a direct fiber connection and has made a significant investment in the internal wifi network to support those speeds.)

We have 5G service with Visible (part of Verizon) that has unlimited data and tethering at 5mbs speed, with no limit for $35 a month (subject to prioritization at peak demand times) and that serves as our main connection when traveling, either through our router or direct tether. We also have a TMobile 4G hot spot that we can use if in an area with poor Verizon service, and I can change the data plan when needed.

I keep doing the numbers on Starlink, but can't justify it when we have half the year at good speeds for $45 a month. Several other seasonal residents here have Starlink and everyone I have talked with said it is great. If we were traveling all the time and had to have fast service then Starlink would be my choice.
Thanks for the reply. I will ask some of the long-term folks I have met to see if they use the park wifi. Anecdotally, there seems to be A LOT of personal WIFI connections in the park.

As for the park WIFI, the free one barely loads Outlook Email (at least for me?). I will set up the paid park WIFI and see if it works any better. It's not super expensive ($40 ish/month?) and I don't have to buy any equipment (that I am aware of).

I will try to post the numbers for the park WIFI for yall tomorrow.

Edit to add: I run a business from home that requires the ability to use Zoom.

Thanks for the help!
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:42 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
We have AT&T also . Unlimited phone and data . We have used the phone for our hot stop for 4 years now . If I have one bar it may buffer . We have a app that allows us to get our cable provider thru the phone . If I can not get over the air tv , I'll setup thru the app . Have a dongell to tv and no problems so far .
How much do you pay for just using AT&T (phone as hotspot) and how many GB do you use monthly?
__________________
Miranda & Lucas (Dog Retriever/Shepherd Mix) from North Texas.
DogwoodLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Already have some components, need advice for system. Motor7 Going Green 81 05-24-2018 02:06 AM
Need some help with water heater install...I have the wrong fittings cgreer00 Class A Motorhome Discussions 7 03-16-2017 06:35 PM
Looked at the Ventana & have some Questions! KarenS144 Newmar Owner's Forum 10 07-08-2014 02:57 PM
Bounder: Need to Replace Porch Light & need advice Chuck&Pam Fleetwood Owner's Forum 8 01-15-2014 08:04 PM
I have a 2001 Workhorse I need some general and engine problem info on congotalk Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 5 11-09-2013 04:02 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.