Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Need System Restore date further back than 10 days

I was trying to get rid of the "XPCOM" message so I did a restore. That didn't work so i did a Firefox Uninstall but screwed something up and lost several hundred Bookmarks.
Now I'm trying to do another System Restore further back yet but it won't list any Restore dates more than 10 days back, and I need 18-20 days back now to get further back than the original Restore date I did. According to the Set Alternate Date you have to type in the name of the program for that particular date, which I did and should have gotten back to 12/27/14 but all it did was use that program and dated today.
So now I'm still getting the XPCOM message and no bookmarks.

How do you get a Restore Date back anyplace you want to go, and can you Restore back behind another Restore?

I'm not sure where to turn now, other than to dump Firefox permenantly and get used to losing all those Bookmarks.
Oh, I'm on an HP laptop running Vista.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You might check in your system files and see if you can find the actual file that is all your bookmarks. I don't mess with Windows since I retired from a Windows school system, but I'd bet that uninstalling the program probably didn't remove all the files associated with Firefox. You might search on Google and see if Firefox users can give you the specific file name.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Windows allocates a certain amount of space on your hard drive to create restore points. When that space is used up the oldest restore point will be overwritten. Depending on the size of your hard drive and how it was configured 10 days may be all that was allowed.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
BFlinn has a good Idea. You might want to read this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ores-user-data
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #5

I'm not going to swear it will work but, once or twice I've found a greater selection of Restore times using System Restore in Safe Mode.

Might be worth a try.

Steve
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
I'm not going to swear it will work but, once or twice I've found a greater selection of Restore times using System Restore in Safe Mode.

Might be worth a try.

Steve
How do I get to Safe Mode? I've seen it several times when the computer got shut down unexpectedly and started back up but never got to it on purpose.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #7

My Vista is a bit dusty (DW says so anyway) but, try this.

Restart your system.

Immediately start tapping the F8 key about twice a second. Don't wait to see anything. Just tap. And keep tapping.

After a while you should end up at a DOS screen with an option for "Safe Mode". Use the arrow keys and highlight "Safe Mode" (just Safe mode--no other Safe Mode Options) and press Enter.

Don't give up if it doesn't work the first time. It might take a reboot or two to get it right.

If it works, you'll know you're in Safe Mode. It will look weird but, you should be able to get to System Restore as you usually do.

If this doesn't work, I'll get my Vista machine out and we'll try again. There are other ways to get to Safe Mode.

Let me know how it goes.

Steve
Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #8

BTW

Hey Wagonmaster,

What's the story behind your "XPCOM" issue?

Steve
Old 02-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How to start Vista in Safe Mode:

tells you more about the process of putting it in safe mode.

shows screen shots.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #10

How's it going Wagonmaster?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
Hey Wagonmaster,

What's the story behind your "XPCOM" issue?

Steve
Well, I'm not sure I can remember all the steps that got me in trouble here but I'll try. I realized a week or two ago that while using Firefox I used to have all the tools along the top of the screen instead of across the bottom (File, View, History, Help, Bookmarks, etc). So I did a System Restore to back a couple of weeks to see if a Firefox update had changed things. Then when I tried to Start Firefox i got the message "XPCOM couldn't load". Someone suggested Uninstalling/Re-installing Mozilla Firefox, which I did but somehow screwed up and clicked something wrong and have now lost several hundred Bookmarks which I'm trying to find.
Did a Firefox Update this afternoon and seemed to have gotten rid of the XPCOM problem, but still missing all those Bookmarks.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to locate them. Have tried to locate the Firefox Bookmark backup file/folder where they are supposed to be kept by Firefox but no luck so far.
Wondering if it's possible to reload my files from the recent backup file disc that I do every few months. Not sure how recent one I may have since the last several times Automatic Backup starts it will then say "Backup failed" for some reason. I have changed to new disc several times in the drive "E" but still no recent Backup Files.

I'm so far over my head here it's really unbelieveable and have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have another browser on you system. If so look and see it all or most of your bookmarks are there. If yes import them to FF.

LEN
Old 02-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #13

If you haven't already, you might search your computer for 'bookmarks*.json'.

The asterisk will let you find all files available. The json file extension should be peculiar to Firefox so, you shouldn't find bookmark files from other browsers.

If you were using Windows Backup, the following link shows how to restore a file. Restoring files with Vista's Restore Files wizard - TechRepublic

Keep us updated.

Steve
Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Do you have another browser on you system. If so look and see it all or most of your bookmarks are there. If yes import them to FF.

LEN
O migosh, they are all on Google chrome. I thought I had looked there before but guess I didn't click on "more bookmarks". Wonder how they got there in the first place? It does look like an older list, like maybe from a couple of years ago since I see one of my bookmarks with 2011 date but none for 2014 on the same subject.

Now the $64,000 question, how do I import? Never done that before. And when I do will they disappear from Chrome so I won't have that source anymore?

Too bad they don't make a good book for Dummies that would include stuff like this. I have a book entitled "Teach yourself visually" just for Vista but it doesn't cover a fraction of the stuff you guys are teaching me.