Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #1

Need to replace Winegard SK-SWM3 skew motor

Greetings,

I am a new member to RV Life so I apologize if the issue discussed in my post has been discussed and answered elsewhere. I tried my best but could not find any information related to this problem using the Search or Advanced Search functions on this site.

My issue is that I have a 6 year old Winegard Traveler SK-SWM3 dish (for DirecTV) on my coach. This past weekend when attempting to activate the dish I received a "SK motor aborted" error messge on the controller. I contacted Winegard support today and to my disappointment, they stated they no longer repair SWM3 units older than 5 years old, and my only option is to replace the entire dish and controller at a cost of $2,500 plus installation.

While doing a quick google search I found a YouTube video showing how to replace the skew motor on a similar dish. Looks pretty simple. So I would like to know if anyone has received the same message and successfully repaired their dish by replacing the skew motor themselves. Also, where can you go to purchase a replacement skew motor? Looks like a $50 part.. so I'd much rather attempt to repair my unit than spending another $3000 just so I can watch my DirecTV in my motorhome.

Any help anyone can give me would be sincerely appreciated,

dpruiett
dpruiett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #2

This is the problem with Winegard antennas, no repair parts. Winegard will not sell replacement repair parts so you have to send the dish back to them for repair or buy a replacement. Bad business model.

If I were you I would bite the bullet and purchase a new antenna. Only don't buy Winegard, screw them, buy a R F Mogul Eagle antenna replacement. They gladly sell any part needed for a repair and offer advice on repair procedures, way more customer friendly than Winegard.
https://www.rfmogul.com/

I've had a R F Mogul Eagle on my coach since new and never had any problem, except the hail storm damage in Del Rio, TX. Called R F Mogul and had the parts waiting for me at our next stop in three days, now that's service.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks very much for the empathy and the recommendation lllkrob. I'll most likely be selling my coach within 2 years so I'm hesitant to drop more money into equipment to allow me to watch my DirecTV service. I'll take a look at the RF Mogul product as I've seen lots of other dissatisfied Winegard customers move to that product.

Thanks again..

dpruiett
dpruiett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #4

Since the unit it broken, why not take it down and remove the motor and see if you can find a new motor on the internet? My guess it they are using someone else motor and just installing in their equipment.

Tags
ace, motor, replace, winegard