Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #1

Netgear Nighthawk and Mobley setup problems

I bought a "open box" ATT Netgear Nighthawk M1 off of eBay and tried to transfer the sim with the PUK codes. The Nighthawk tells me that the PUK codes are incorrect even though I verified them with ATT.

I put the sim back into the Mobley and it would not connect anymore. The ATT store supplied a new sim and the Mobley now works again.

I think I need some words of wisdom from others that have had success at doing this before I risk this new sim card. Did the Nighthawk accept your PUK code with the first try?

Thanks for your help.
Steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #2

Anyone?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #3

Did you enter an incorrect PIN 3 times before being prompted to enter the PUK code?
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Did you enter an incorrect PIN 3 times before being prompted to enter the PUK code?
Thanks for the response. yes I did enter the incorrect pin 3 times. I don't know of any other way to get it to ask for the PUK code.

Perhaps this "open box" unit was, in fact, returned because it was defective.

I had to get a new sim from the ATT store to get the Mobley working again.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Thanks for the response. yes I did enter the incorrect pin 3 times. I don't know of any other way to get it to ask for the PUK code.

Perhaps this "open box" unit was, in fact, returned because it was defective.

I had to get a new sim from the ATT store to get the Mobley working again.
I purchased a Dekart SIM Card Reader to change the PIN for one of my Mobley SIM cards. After changing the PIN and successfully using it, I later needed to do away with the PIN all together. As I am learning more about this subject, I feel safe to refer to a SIM "with" a PIN as a "locked" SIM card. If you "unlock" a SIM, then there is no PIN associated with it. The associated software used with the Dekart reader allows you to "unlock" a SIM just by checking a box. You do not need the existing PIN number or the PUK number.

If you can't get yours straightened out, mail it to me and I'll unlock it. Or you can invest $39 and get one of the Dekart readers. They are an excellent company to deal with and are quick to answer any questions you have on the subject. As a matter of fact, you should ask them if the procedure I described will work. I'm pretty sure it will but it wouldn't hurt to verify.

https://www.dekart.com/store/hardware/simreader2
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

Did you do the 3 bogus Pins / enter PUK on the Nighthawk itself (if it has that ability with touchscreen) or by connected to it via WiFi and logging in with a Browser as the admin?

I had an issue doing this on a Netgear Unite Explore AC815S using it's touchscreen, got an Invalid PUK message 2 times so was at 8/10 attempts.

I then logged in to the 815s with a browser and changed the Mobley SIM using the PUK with no issues.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
I purchased a Dekart SIM Card Reader to change the PIN for one of my Mobley SIM cards. After changing the PIN and successfully using it, I later needed to do away with the PIN all together. As I am learning more about this subject, I feel safe to refer to a SIM "with" a PIN as a "locked" SIM card. If you "unlock" a SIM, then there is no PIN associated with it. The associated software used with the Dekart reader allows you to "unlock" a SIM just by checking a box. You do not need the existing PIN number or the PUK number.

If you can't get yours straightened out, mail it to me and I'll unlock it. Or you can invest $39 and get one of the Dekart readers. They are an excellent company to deal with and are quick to answer any questions you have on the subject. As a matter of fact, you should ask them if the procedure I described will work. I'm pretty sure it will but it wouldn't hurt to verify.

https://www.dekart.com/store/hardware/simreader2
I wish I had your knowledge of sim cards, but perhaps I can learn enough to get the sim usable. My problem is I don't know if this Nighthawk is defective. I am in the return time period so it may go back. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Did you do the 3 bogus Pins / enter PUK on the Nighthawk itself (if it has that ability with touchscreen) or by connected to it via WiFi and logging in with a Browser as the admin?

I had an issue doing this on a Netgear Unite Explore AC815S using it's touchscreen, got an Invalid PUK message 2 times so was at 8/10 attempts.

I then logged in to the 815s with a browser and changed the Mobley SIM using the PUK with no issues.

On the Nighthawk M1, the browser is the only way to make any entry. The screen is not a touchscreen.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

Did you already do a Factory Reset to Defaults on that Nighthawk?

I will probably get that Dekart, I think it could come in handy

Here is @W4KMA thread on it: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/moble...on-441718.html
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #10

Yes I did a factory reset after the first failed attempt to enter the PIK code.

Tags
ems, problem, problems