Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #1

New 010 option. Prewire for Winegard Sat.

The new option list shows an item to "Prewire for Wineguard Travel Satellite". Its cheap at $105. Should I order this on my new Bus. What will the Winegard do the the KingDome won't?
captfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #2

I don't know what they are calling "Travel Satellite" wiring. In my case I wanted to install a Winegard Trav'ler SK3005 so as to receive DirecTV HD programming. King Dome couldn't do it. After I removed my In-Motion King Dome I had to install an additional control cable for the Winegard. Not a major job but it did take me an additional 1-2 hours, mostlly to ensure I drilled the necessary hole in the right spot.

If you use Dish Network, I understand that King Dome can receive all of their HD channels on their dome. Only drawback to using the dome is it's relatively small dish and lack of ability to depress far enough to receive programming in the northern latitudes, Alaska specifically. For us this was a big deal, for others, perhaps not so big.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
I don't know what they are calling "Travel Satellite" wiring. In my case I wanted to install a Winegard Trav'ler SK3005 so as to receive DirecTV HD programming. King Dome couldn't do it. After I removed my In-Motion King Dome I had to install an additional control cable for the Winegard. Not a major job but it did take me an additional 1-2 hours, mostlly to ensure I drilled the necessary hole in the right spot.

If you use Dish Network, I understand that King Dome can receive all of their HD channels on their dome. Only drawback to using the dome is it's relatively small dish and lack of ability to depress far enough to receive programming in the northern latitudes, Alaska specifically. For us this was a big deal, for others, perhaps not so big.

John
The wording in my original post is exactly as it appears on the option list. I'm assuming, based what you say, that the additional prewire is the control cable. If you install it yourself, how do you fish it through the headliner?
In my case, the Winegard would be the sk-1000 (DISH).
captfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #4

I installed the 3005 in approximately the same position as the old dome was in, just behind the spotlight but as far forward as possible. This allowed me to bring the wires down through the roof (not the front cap). The place I drilled my hole was just behind the cap in the roof fiberglass and almost lined up with the right clearance light of the center 3. After drilling the roof I was able to fish a wire coat hanger through the little styrofoam roof insulation I hit. While I already had 2 coax lines coming down from the dome, I added a spare with the control cable "just in case" It's still coiled up unused, behind the TV. I installed the controller in the compartment above the driver's head where the tank monitors and such are found. Since we also have an Internet dish the electronics compartment over the passenger was getting full and too crowded. I also installed a power cutoff switch in the circuit so when we are boondocking we can turn the controller of. It'll still pass TV signals through without power.

If you need anything else, drop a note. Good luck.

John
Old 08-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captfred View Post
The wording in my original post is exactly as it appears on the option list. I'm assuming, based what you say, that the additional prewire is the control cable. If you install it yourself, how do you fish it through the headliner?
In my case, the Winegard would be the sk-1000 (DISH).
You will need to get the details on what the pre-wire is or if you have an option for the kind of pre-wire installed.
If it is a pre-wire for the Winegard manual satellite antenna then it is nothing more then a coax cable. If it is a pre-wire for a Roadtrip dome then it is a coax and a 12 V connection. Neither of these will be of any value if you are going to install one of the Trav'ler series of antennas as you need to be able to feed a special control cable into the coach as well and you will not be able to use the same chase that the pre-wire used.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #6

Capfred, sounds like a call to Tiffin Help Line is in order. 256-356-0261 I've always found them very helpful, and in this case you can't beat "Right from the horses mouth"

John